Light-O-Rama Forums

newbie with track question

Ron Boyd

Been reading some posts on tracks and can't find what I'm thinking. Why are tracks used and how important is it to use them? I understand that they are used for grouping elements together, but I use channel grouping for that. Is using tracks better or am I ok using channel grouping. I also read that if using tracks, the timings can be different. I just sub-divide the section if I need more timings for a certain effect. Is using tracks and the different timing grid better or easier than the way I'm doing it?
I'm still learning, this being my second year. I still haven't learned to do a proper search in the forums to find what I need, so, I ask questions. If this has already been discussed and someone can point me in the direction of that thread, I can go that route to.

Thanks for all the help,
Ron

In a nut shell, tracks was a great feature before grouping came along, and multiple timing grids. Now with those two tools, little people use tracks. With that said, I still prefer tracks on my setup...I DO NOT have a master track, and break my display elements down to tracks. I also use tracks to make duplicate copies of channels to re arrange them in different orders to easier create effects. Tracks is an easy way to delete and copy large numbers of channels too.

cenote wrote:

Now with those two tools, little people use tracks.

Since I've recently ballooned up to >260#, I can attest that BIG people use tracks also.

George Simmons wrote:

cenote wrote:
Now with those two tools, little people use tracks.

Since I've recently ballooned up to >260#, I can attest that BIG people use tracks also.

Your still little..big starts @ 350# :(

I certainly still use tracks. I keep a 'master track' because funny (well not really funny) things can happen when importing new channel configurations if I don't.

I also use 'groups', but don't like the way groups 'can' rearrange channels for you without you knowing about it.

If I make a group in track one and duplicate the group to track 2 and move the channels around in the track 2 group it will also move the channels around in the track one group. I hate the way groups work in that aspect.

I use two tracks to group my two CCR's before S3. Since thats how my channel configuration is setup, I still use tracks for this reason and will continue to.

If you ungroup the group after you move it to a track and then group again it will work correctly I believe.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I certainly still use tracks. I keep a 'master track' because funny (well not really funny) things can happen when importing new channel configurations if I don't.

I also use 'groups', but don't like the way groups 'can' rearrange channels for you without you knowing about it.

If I make a group in track one and duplicate the group to track 2 and move the channels around in the track 2 group it will also move the channels around in the track one group. I hate the way groups work in that aspect.

dougd wrote:

If you ungroup the group after you move it to a track and then group again it will work correctly I believe.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Yes, the 'ungroup' will in fact break the link' between the two groups. It's just an extra step that should not be necessary. IMO