Light-O-Rama Forums

12 volt power supply

Dennis Laff

Dan,

With everyone talking lately about 5050 RGB "Dumb" light strips. Both 300 and 150 LED counts. Wouldn't LOR consider getting there own version of the "Dumb" ribbons? I know they are cheap at $30 to $80 dollars a ribbon. But to me its kind-of like bottle water. When bottle water exploded. Everyone had to get their own version of bottle water. I think LOR hasn't considered it, they should look into thee type of ribbons too. Why let the competitor get all of your business!

Is this something you would/have considered?

Ray

If Dan hasnt started to think about adding them to the store I would be surprised. I know with the other CCB's and such coming out it has been the priority.

Another reason is accountability. Most of those strips they are made fast and cheap, and for a company with the Customer Service Light O Rama has it could become a nightmare. If they did they would be the more expensive of the lot, but they would have some sort of guarantee or warranty on them.

I found some very inexpensive power supplies from a US seller on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370579112291

They are $12 each, plus $5 shipping. More than 10 available.

They seem to be ATX12V, but I haven't confirmed that yet. I just purchased 2 of them since they're so cheap, and I'll be testing them later when I get some connectors.

They are made by Rackable Systems (who changed their name to SGI after purchasing SGI in 2009), and are dated 2008. I opened one and found that it appears to be well made (better than the one I bought from Ray Wu). It is rated 30A @ +12V, or 450W max (which doesn't make sense to me, since even if you're not using the +5V, +3.3V, or -12V supplies, 30A @ +12V is 480W, but I guess there's some rounding going on).

These are more compact than the typical 12v supply, at only 4 inches wide (x 1.5" x 8").

There has been some concern expressed about using solely the +12V output from a computer power supply, as opposed to a dedicated 12v supply, so I'm going to test this further. I'll also need to find ATX cables, and wire a power switch.

Disclaimer: I have no association with this seller, other than purchasing several items from him on eBay. (If you go to the Purchase History, I'm the one who bought 2 on Feb-07-12.)

Update! I just tested the power supply I mentioned in the post above. I found that it's very close to an ATX v2.0 power supply with an EPS12V connector. The only case I found where this power supply does not conform to the ATX specification is that the +5VSB (5-volt standby) does not supply power when the power supply is turned off by opening PS_ON. That's obviously because these are meant for a server chassis where off means off. It also has 2 4-pin connectors that fit an ATX12V plug, but are not wired as ATX12V, but are wired with +12v and +5v, obviously for a disk drive. I guess they figured that if you needed an ATX12V, you could just plug into half of the EPS12V.

So, yes, it will work as a 12V power supply. In addition to the $12 power supply, you need to buy a MOLEX 39-01-2240 ($1.33 from Mouser) and an 8-pin EPS12V connector. (It might be a MOLEX 39-01-2080, but I'm not sure about that.)

Advantages:
Cheap ($12); small (1.5" x 4" x 8"); 450W; probably reliable (SGI).

Disadvantages:
Slightly more trouble to wire (need to buy Molex connectors and crimp); noisy fan.

Oh, yes, did I forget to mention the fan? It seems to have 2 speeds: slow (noisy) and fast (very noisy). When idling with no load, it runs in slow speed. I wasn't able to put enough load on it for long enough to get it to switch to high, but I know it has a high speed because it spins at high for a few seconds when you power it up.

In summary, this is a really good value, but I would only use it if the fan noise can be muffled or where noise isn't a problem.

Steven wrote:

I found some very inexpensive power supplies from a US seller on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370579112291

They are $12 each, plus $5 shipping.  More than 10 available.

They seem to be ATX12V, but I haven't confirmed that yet.  I just purchased 2 of them since they're so cheap, and I'll be testing them later when I get some connectors.

I bought a couple of these to test. Great deal, quite, new and the price WOW. $12.00 each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PowerKing-600w-Watt-ATX-Computer-Power-Supply-SATA-/120720311248?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item1c1b7dc3d0