Light-O-Rama Forums

Remote mount status led

Wayne K

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Wayne K wrote:
I have been searching about remote mounting the status led and I have found a few articles, but the one I found that looks like it could of been helpful is from duke and it is old and has no pictures showing with it. Does anyone have any more info on what panel mount led to use and wether to series it or paralel it or take the old one out?
Thanks
Wayne

I did exactly what you want, I think! And I love it and recommend it. Between the remote LED, and the RJ45-ECS's I never have to open the box!

Yes that is exactly what I wanted and very similar to the article that I remember seeing way back some time ago. Thanks for the info. I also have the RJ45-ECS's in mine and it makes it nice.
Thanks
Wayne

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgardner518

• Wayne K

• shfr26

• rstately

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Wayne K wrote:
I have been searching about remote mounting the status led and I have found a few articles, but the one I found that looks like it could of been helpful is from duke and it is old and has no pictures showing with it. Does anyone have any more info on what panel mount led to use and wether to series it or paralel it or take the old one out?
Thanks
Wayne

I did exactly what you want, I think! And I love it and recommend it. Between the remote LED, and the RJ45-ECS's I never have to open the box!

Yes that is exactly what I wanted and very similar to the article that I remember seeing way back some time ago. Thanks for the info. I also have the RJ45-ECS's in mine and it makes it nice.
Thanks
Wayne

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I'm unclear on the spec's. But here is the link to it, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062568

I have the same one installed on all 7 of my PC controllers., since 2009, without any issues!

Yes, that is the 12vdc automotive LED. It will light under lesser voltages, just not as bright as it is with 12vdc going to it. It has a built in internal dropping resistor inside the housing. If you look closely at the photo on the Radio Shack site, you can make out the body of the voltage dropping resistor in there. Basically it's just a standard low voltage LED that without the resistor in series with it, 12vdc would destroy it.

They also have it in green: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062569 for those that would like to use a different color.

No weatherproofing needs to be done with these LED's as they are already pretty much weatherproof in their design. I've used them on vehicles and other projects outdoors, never had a problem with them getting wet or any other related issues when used outside. They're basically a "sealed" LED.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Here is a picture of my RJ45-ECS's

BTW: Where do you get those RJ45-ECS's? I think I'd like to add some of those to my controllers, would sure make it easier on set up not having to open them up to put in the cat5 cabling all the time!

As for the brightness. Personally I don't want it so bright, it sticks out like a sore thumb in the display! But believe me, its pretty bright as it is!

Orville wrote:

BTW: Where do you get those RJ45-ECS's? I think I'd like to add some of those to my controllers, would sure make it easier on set up not having to open them up to put in the cat5 cabling all the time!

They don't necessary make it easier, but they do make it more secure. One issue with the RJ45-ECS is that you need to use a small screwdriver to release the RJ45, because your finger won't fit. (Although you could just break off the tab on the RJ45, because the screw clamp will hold the cable securely.) You also have to remove any "boot" on the connector or it won't fit.

Steven wrote:

Orville wrote:

They don't necessary make it easier, but they do make it more secure. One issue with the RJ45-ECS is that you need to use a small screwdriver to release the RJ45, because your finger won't fit. (Although you could just break off the tab on the RJ45, because the screw clamp will hold the cable securely.) You also have to remove any "boot" on the connector or it won't fit.

Thanks for the additional info Steve. That would have probably had me scratching my head for at least a few moments until I figured out what I needed to do to get the cat5 plugged and then unplugged!

rstately wrote:

You could use feed through type, they keep bugs out and there cheaper...

https://www.roc-noc.com/product.php?productid=78

Cool. Those would work for me. {I think}. How well do these work with "booted" Cat5 cables?

All but a select few of my Cat5 are booted and I really would prefer NOT to remove the booting if I don't have too!

Orville wrote:

rstately wrote:

Cool.  Those would work for me. {I think}.  How well do these work with "booted" Cat5 cables? 

All but a select few of my Cat5 are booted and I really would prefer NOT to remove the booting if I don't have too!

Yes, The booted cables fit through, but I use cables that have protection from pulling the cable back out so that the clip does not get ripped off the plug... If your cables don't have that just be careful pulling them back through.

rstately wrote:

Orville wrote:
rstately wrote:

Cool. Those would work for me. {I think}. How well do these work with "booted" Cat5 cables?

Yes, The booted cables fit through, but I use cables that have protection from pulling the cable back out so that the clip does not get ripped off the plug... If your cables don't have that just be careful pulling them back through.

Do you mean the boot covers the clip on the Cat5 connector? If that's what it is, then yes, my booted Cat5 cables are protected in that same manner. Makes it a little harder to press down and take out, but I haven't broken a single clip off them since I started using that type. Got all mine at monoprice.com.

Orville wrote:

rstately wrote:
Orville wrote:
rstately wrote:

Cool.  Those would work for me. {I think}.  How well do these work with "booted" Cat5 cables? 

Do you mean the boot covers the clip on the Cat5 connector?   If that's what it is, then yes, my booted Cat5 cables are protected in that same manner.   Makes it a little harder to press down and take out, but I haven't broken a single clip off them since I started using that type.  Got all mine at monoprice.com.

Yes, thats what I am talking about, The connectors with a pigtail are a little nicer. They give a little more protection from say tripping over the cord and pulling the jack out of the board. I set mine up in a way that it's not likely I'll trip on cords.

rstately wrote:

Orville wrote:
Do you mean the boot covers the clip on the Cat5 connector? If that's what it is, then yes, my booted Cat5 cables are protected in that same manner. Makes it a little harder to press down and take out, but I haven't broken a single clip off them since I started using that type. Got all mine at monoprice.com.

Yes, thats what I am talking about, The connectors with a pigtail are a little nicer. They give a little more protection from say tripping over the cord and pulling the jack out of the board. I set mine up in a way that it's not likely I'll trip on cords.

I usually always use those little plastic cable clamps that are held down with a single screw, I put the Cat5 inside the clamp, sort of like a C, then screw these clamps to the wall in 2 to 3 places along the Cat5, that way I know it's not coming out if I would happen to trip over it. Plus I will use these to sometimes just get the Cat5 completely off the ground between controllers.

Although I've got to say, I've never tripped over any of my Cat5 cables, extension cords, now that's another matter! LOL

Steven wrote:

with the RJ45-ECS is that you need to use a small screwdriver to release the RJ45, because your finger won't fit.

This is so true! Its a little pain in the a$$.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Steven wrote:
with the RJ45-ECS is that you need to use a small screwdriver to release the RJ45, because your finger won't fit.

This is so true! Its a little pain in the a$$.

I need to look at mine this next time and see if I can straighten them out a little. Evidently from sticking a small screw driver up in there to reach the tab I have bent the metal in there where the tab catches. I have looked at one of these close and think I am going to try and drill a small hole in the side that will line up with the cord tab and use a small wire or paper clip to release the tabs, at least that is my plan when I start working on things this fall.
Wayne

I do all mine now the same, by not soldering in the LED on PCB, and remote it to the cover with a hole, and some silicone. OLots of rain, no problems..no need to over engineer it :P

The pic shows the inside of one of my boxes..and yes, I recycle old clients irrigation boxes, works great.

Attached files 306640=16817-IMG_2335.JPG

cenote wrote:

I do all mine now the same, by not soldering in the LED on PCB, and remote it to the cover with a hole, and some silicone. OLots of rain, no problems..no need to over engineer it :P

The pic shows the inside of one of my boxes..and yes, I recycle old clients irrigation boxes, works great.

I actually thought about using one of those color changing LED's, you know the ones that cycle through the colors when they are powered, then if it were visible, at least it'd somewhat match the Colored Christmas lights!{in a sense} LOL

Not sure how feasible it would really be to use one though. Especially since the LOR box does "blink" the LED when it's not linked via the HWU or SE software, so not sure one of those color changing auto-cycling LEDs would be all that practical, just something I was toying with.

ny-yankee,

So these RJ45-ECS's are a bulkhead female RJ45 and have a bout a 11inch lead to a male RJ45 is that right?

Is the lead replaceable to make it longer?

Thanks,

Mike