Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 RGB Question

mmais68569

I just downloaded S3 & started to play with the RGB channels. What I did was create a 16 channel sequence, then under unit1.1 I added 5 RGB channels. So when I go to connect my RGB modular to the controller 1 is red 2 is green & 3 is blue that is the first RGB channel. Now do I go to 4 & connect it as a red, 5- as a green & 6- as a blue & ect. till I get my 5 RGB channels?

Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drivemewilder

• Steven

• mmais68569

• Don

The LOR software will assign the channels in RGB order (Red,Green,Blue.) Once you created your first RGB channel, channels 1-3 were now configured for RGB.

You would then connect your next RGB device to 4,5,6.

You might want to look at "Tools -> Channel Configuration" so that you can double check how the channels are set up. In that view you would be able to see the Unit/Circuit ID for each channel much easier.

So I understand what you said & yes I looked at the tools, channel configuration.
With the 5 RGB channels I created under 1.1 that will use a complete 16 CH controller even though it is programed under 1 channel.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Why use a LOR controller to control RGB? You will only end up with 5 RGB channels.
Buy another USB485 from LOR, add this as a DMX universe, and you have effectively added 512 channels, giving you 170 RGB channels. And leaving your LOR controllers alone!

• 1 month later...

I'm totally reliant on pics and visual aids, so if anyone can offer any, it would be appreciated. I played around with the S3 software and think i can create channels and colors using RGB. My questions are:

1)Do i need to abandon my CTB16PC's and buy the DC boards that are discussed in order to run the dumb strips?

2)I am thinking of buying 8 RGB dumb strips and i want them all the same color, all the time. I currently run 3 strings of rope light on my eves. So dumb strips are an obvious choice with higher color output. Is there a way of connecting all 8 strips together, or do i buy 8 of everything... sequence 1 and then copy/paste the first strip into the other 7?

3)If i need to buy 8 of everything, what is everything? I see lots of info on Ray Wu's 5050 strips, but what power supplies do i need? A checklist would be great!

4)To run 8 RGB strips, i need 2 DC boards (each one handles 5 channels/strips correct). Is networking all the same....can i daisychain my CCR's...to my existing CTBPC's...to the new DC boards?

I would like some visual aids, showing how the strips are connected to the DC board, how the power strip is connected to the DC board, and how they are networked.
Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

You need to read up in the DMX threads. DMX is a cheaper alternative to using the DC boards. The DC boards will be easier to use and can handle a larger current load than the DMX route. You don't need to abandon your PC boards. Pleas be a little more specific on what you want to do so we can give you a better answer.

Jim, i will read up as much as i can. I've been reading for 2 hours straight but there is sooo much info out there and so much to learn. I would be more specific if i knew what the hell i needed to ask. So if i don't need to abandon my PC boards, then i can use them to control the dumb strips?

You CAN NOT use your PC boards to control dumb strips. The dumb strips are 12v normally. I say normally because there are some that use 5v.
So you will need some kind of DC controller to run the strips & power supplies.
You can daisy chain you PC & CCR along with the DC controllers.
Here is a great link to help you understand RGB.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1141.0.html

Mike

drivemewilder wrote:

1)Do i need to abandon my CTB16PC's and buy the DC boards that are discussed in order to run the dumb strips?

As Mike said, you cannot use the CTB16PC to drive the dumb strips, because the strips are 12VDC and the CTB16PC is for 120VAC lights. You don't have to abandon them, however. Just connect them to something else and have more channels in your display!

2)I am thinking of buying 8 RGB dumb strips and i want them all the same color, all the time. Is there a way of connecting all 8 strips together, or do i buy 8 of everything... sequence 1 and then copy/paste the first strip into the other 7?

Yes, there is a way of connecting them all together, but you can't just connect them end-to-end. Remember the old 3-string limit rule? You may think that doesn't apply to LEDs, but it still applies to strips. The reason is that the wires in strips are so small, that there won't be enough voltage on the 3rd strip.

So the way you connect them together is to run 18-gauge cable in parallel, so the voltage on the 1st string is close to the voltage on the 8th.

3)If i need to buy 8 of everything, what is everything? I see lots of info on Ray Wu's 5050 strips, but what power supplies do i need? A checklist would be great!

You don't have to buy 8 of everything. As others were saying, you have some choices to make. The 1st choice is a DC board or DMX.

If you go with the DC board, you only need 1 (if you want all 8 strips on the same 3 channels and thus always the same color). A typical 5-meter dumb strip draws about 1 amp per color (I haven't double-checked this by measuring), so all 8 strings will draw about 8 amps per color (probably a little less). This is too much for a single channel in a DC controller (maximum 4 amps without a heat sink), so you would need to split your ribbons into 2 4-ribbon sections. This will use 6 channels. If you wanted to be safer, you could split it into 4 2-ribbon sections, using 12 channels.

If you go with DMX, then you will need a $7 DMX RGB controller for each ribbon (8 total), as those controllers can't power more than 1.

In either case, you'll need a power supply. I use something like this, which can power 8 ribbons without trouble.

If you go the DMX route, you'll need to string the DMX network and 12v to each controller. Obviously, you'll need to add a DMX universe to your LOR setup.

4)To run 8 RGB strips, i need 2 DC boards (each one handles 5 channels/strips correct). Is networking all the same....can i daisychain my CCR's...to my existing CTBPC's...to the new DC boards?

That is correct. However, as I said above, unless you want to be able to control each of the 8 ribbons with a different color (which could make a neat "sweeping" effect), you can get by with a single DC controller.

If you go with the DC board, you only need 1 (if you want all 8 strips on the same 3 channels and thus always the same color). A typical 5-meter dumb strip draws about 1 amp per color (I haven't double-checked this by measuring), so all 8 strings will draw about 8 amps per color (probably a little less). This is too much for a single channel in a DC controller (maximum 4 amps without a heat sink), so you would need to split your ribbons into 2 4-ribbon sections. This will use 6 channels. If you wanted to be safer, you could split it into 4 2-ribbon sections, using 12 channels.

Awesome Steven, thank you! Can you tell me how the strips will attach to each channel on the DC board? I was assuming it was like the PC's, so i don't see how i can attach more than 1 color to each channel. If i could find a clear, up-close picture it would probably make alot more sense.

What you will have is CH 1 is the Red, Ch 2 is the green, & CH 3 is Blue, the normally Black lead that is in the dumb strip is the power connect it to the + terminal on CH 1.The Red, Green & Blue leads are connected to the - side of the board.
One suggestion I would make if you want to save money & get more for your buck, order two of these controllers from Ray with your strips.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-378111925/Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver.html
You can then run 4 strips off each controller & have no worries about over loading a single CH. I am currently using 3 of these as Landscape light controllers & they work great. Theses will also daisy chain in with your PC controller.
Mike

mmais68569 wrote:

What you will have is CH 1 is the Red, Ch 2 is the green, & CH 3 is Blue, the normally Black lead that is in the dumb strip is the power connect it to the + terminal on CH 1.The Red, Green & Blue leads are connected to the - side of the board.
One suggestion I would make if you want to save money & get more for your buck, order two of these controllers from Ray with your strips.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-378111925/Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver.html
You can then run 4 strips off each controller & have no worries about over loading a single CH. I am currently using 3 of these as Landscape light controllers & they work great. Theses will also daisy chain in with your PC controller.
Mike

Mike - I have been quietly stalking this thread because I am just getting started in DMX this year. These devices are exactly something I was needing

mmais68569 wrote:

Mike

This is 9 channels and if ch1 is red, 2 is green, 3 blue, 4 red, 5 green, 6 blue, 7 red, 8 green, 9 blue...that's only 3 strips per controller.

I did not make it clear for this board. What you have is for CH1 you would connect all for wires in the terminal box( use the mouse over for zoom & see what I mean). Then the next one the same & so on, where you will use CH1 for Red is in the sequencer, then CH2 for Green & Ch 3 for blue.
This board is actually a 9 Ch RGB controller which converts to actual 27 CH. Does that make more sense?

Mike

So the terminal box is the green box with the small flat head screws? Then what are the 3 squares per channel that looks like where i would slide a connector over? I get that it's a 9 ch RGB controller which equals 27 actual. But if i connect 4 wires from my strips (rgb+black lead) to each channel...then why am i only getting 4 strips on this controller and not 9? Sorry for all the confusion, i'll get it sooner or later!

drivemewilder wrote:

So the terminal box is the green box with the small flat head screws? Then what are the 3 squares per channel that looks like where i would slide a connector over? I get that it's a 9 ch RGB controller which equals 27 actual. But if i connect 4 wires from my strips (rgb+black lead) to each channel...then why am i only getting 4 strips on this controller and not 9? Sorry for all the confusion, i'll get it sooner or later!

You are starting to get the idea. You can run 9 seperate strips from this controller but you have to make sure that the maximum load on the controller does not exceed 15A.

If you have 4 x 5m 30LED/mtr strips this could draw around 12A when using white as a colour on all strips at the same time giving you a 3A buffer.

I am using all 27channels this year for my spinners and firework items as they all only use small lenghts (700mm max) of strip per section.

I'm trying! Thank you all for your help and patience! I'm not able to zoom in and see the -/+ marks that i assume are clearly labeled. In the sequencer, channel 1 is red...2 is green...3 blue. But physically connecting to this board, are all the REDS from all 4 strips connecting to channel 1...all 4 GREENS to channel 2...and all 4 BLUES to channel 3? So this would only be using 3 RGB channels. As for the BLACK lead on the strips? It goes to the + (which i cannot see in the pic). And the power supply? Where does it connect?

Here are a few pictures of the same controller I have not mounted this one yet. As you can see on the dumb strip I have the Com(+) is white some times it is black so beware. In the first picture you can see how the wires are connected this is one set of 3 CH Red, Green, Blue, the next strip will connect the same way & it will be another set of 3 Ch.

100_0154%20%28Small%29.JPG

In this next picture you can see where the colors are marked.

100_0155%20%28Small%29.JPG

Hope this helps clear up some of the mud.

Mike