Light-O-Rama Forums

diagram for 5050 RGB LED setup

dito

it looks like IP65 would be sufficient for roof line (mounted on the vertical face) but always like to hear what others have to say. Also, it's only a couple dollars more for better protection. I'd rather spend the $5 vs having to buy new RGB strips due to lack of protection from the elements. Hindsight is always 20/20, or so they say. So I'd like to learn from others decision and appreciate if you could vote on this poll, http://forums.lightorama.com/forum80/32242.html

In my experience with dealing with anything from China is that the IP rating can sometimes not be what is claimed.

With strip there are 3 main types of coating, ones is the silicone tube which is the same as what the CCR uses and the other is solid silicone or solid resin. The third is a combination of these.

They are all waterproof but i do find the solid silicone or the solid silicone with silicone tube is the best choice as it disperses the light much better and is also much stronger than the silicone tube.

dito wrote:

it looks like IP65 would be sufficient for roof line (mounted on the vertical face) but always like to hear what others have to say.

We're talking "dumb" strips here (with no active electronic components), so what's the harm in getting a little wet? I hot-glued 110v LED strings, with removable bulbs, to my roof 4 years ago, and most of them still work today. I also used non-waterproof 4-pin DIN connectors on my 12v RGB strips last year, also with no problems, even though they were left out in the weather for 2 months.

I would think that, assuming they aren't made of water-soluble components, that soldered 5050 chips and SMT resistors would continue to work even after getting wet.

Steven wrote:

dito wrote:
it looks like IP65 would be sufficient for roof line (mounted on the vertical face) but always like to hear what others have to say.

We're talking "dumb" strips here (with no active electronic components), so what's the harm in getting a little wet?  I hot-glued 110v LED strings, with removable bulbs, to my roof 4 years ago, and most of them still work today.  I also used non-waterproof 4-pin DIN connectors on my 12v RGB strips last year, also with no problems, even though they were left out in the weather for 2 months.

I would think that, assuming they aren't made of water-soluble components, that soldered 5050 chips and SMT resistors would continue to work even after getting wet.

This is correct even with the pixel IC based strip So if they get wet its a matter of just drying it out. The only issue is if you leave it for a couple of days and run the show you will start to see electrolosys develop.

The only concern I see is the fan! If its in an enclosed box, how do you plan on mounting it so the fan can suck in or blow out, which ever direction the fan works, the air it needs to run?

Personally I'd go with the first one you posted. This way each controller will each have its own power supply, in its own box. No fan to worry about, and you also are not trying to stuff three controllers and a power supply all into one box. That's just my thought!

digdeepfundraising wrote:

I see that the power supply has three outputs. When they calculated the capacity, that is the figure per output right?
Output 1: 350W/29A
Output 2: 350W/29A
Output 3: 350W/29A

It's not shared between the outputs - right?:
Output 1: 116W/9A
Output 2: 116W/9A
Output 3: 116W/9A

that depends on how many strips you want to controll. I have seen the 30/meter strips draw about 36 watts per 5 meters,and then the 60/meter drawa 72 watts per 5 meters.

imacericg wrote:

I see that the power supply has three outputs. When they calculated the capacity, that is the figure per output right?
Output 1: 350W/29A
Output 2: 350W/29A
Output 3: 350W/29A

It's not shared between the outputs - right?:
Output 1: 116W/9A
Output 2: 116W/9A
Output 3: 116W/9A

Its only one output with 3 terminals, its a typical Ebay misleading description.

So its a a 350 watt PSU that you would run at approx 80% load. I definetly wouldnt load these cheap power supplies any further than that.

Can you point me in the right direction of what power supply's I will need to run my controller that I'm planning to run 5x 5050 300 led 5m strips

Can you point me in the right direction of what power supply's I will need to run my controller that I'm planning to run 5x 5050 300 led 5m strips

For the 300 LEDS strip would draw appox 0.4 amps per colour per metre so each strip when the colour is white (all colours on) would draw approx 6 amps.

so 5 x 6amps = 30 amps. This being the case i would opt for 2 power supplies. remember its best practice to only load up your power supplies to 80% to 85% so a 350 watt PSU when run at 80% would be 280 watts or approx 23 amps, this would allow you to run happily 3.8 strips per power supply.

A lot also is determined by how you plan to do your distribution, you would like to have 1 power supply per controller (this is how i do it) but the load may be little enough where you may only need a 250 watt power supply instead

As well power supplies are not all equal. I use meanwell power supplies as well as cheap chinese ones and i can tell you the quality and additional filering in the meanwells can make a difference. But generally the chap chinese ones will do as long as you keep a spare.

For a chaep chinese on then ray Wu has these cheap and combined shipping for more than 1 will make it more cost effective.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

You better going with this one!

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/37-12-volt-165-amp-power-supply.html

It can run two controllers. I know you want one to do 3. But this is what you want.

why this one? he needs to controll 30 amps worth of strips.

edvas69 wrote:

For the 300 LEDS strip would draw appox 0.4 amps per colour per metre so each strip when the colour is white (all colours on) would draw approx 6 amps.

so 5 x 6amps = 30 amps. This being the case i would opt for 2 power supplies. remember its best practice to only load up your power supplies to 80% to 85% so a 350 watt PSU when run at 80% would be 280 watts or approx 23 amps, this would allow you to run happily 3.8 strips per power supply.

A lot also is determined by how you plan to do your distribution, you would like to have 1 power supply per controller (this is how i do it) but the load may be little enough where you may only need a 250 watt power supply instead

As well power supplies are not all equal. I use meanwell power supplies as well as cheap chinese ones and i can tell you the quality and additional filering in the meanwells can make a difference. But generally the chap chinese ones will do as long as you keep a spare.

For a chaep chinese on then ray Wu has these cheap and combined shipping for more than 1 will make it more cost effective.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html
that makes way more sense to me

Cheers all for the input I have a better view on it now I will just use 1 350w 12 v 29amp to run each box then I have less chance of problems

Thanks again dan

P.s my brain is smoking taking this all in

This is along the same topic. But I understand how to hook up to the LOR DC board. BUT, How many of these can I use per channel?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/423204013-promotion-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-module-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string-wholesalers.html

I wanted to cut them up into groups of 4. But when I put them back together, How many can I max out on a channel?

Here is a picture:

Attached files 306146=16792-promotion-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-module-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.jpg