Light-O-Rama Forums

CCRs and arches

Ron Boyd

I’ve been doing some math;

For 2 8 ft. arches CCR = $249.95( 150 Channel Controller included), PCV/CPVC, fittings and glue $40.00, 2 million colors. Total approximately $300

For 2 8 ft. arches 1 LOR Controller 249.95 (16 Channels), PCV/CPVC, fittings and glue $40.00, 1 Color, and 16 strands of LEDs, approximately $175. Total approximately $465.00

My first question is:

What needs to be done with a CCR to make the transition between Arches? The way I’m building the arches, there will be about 3-6 inches between each arch. Will I need to cut it in half (and void the warranty), or will it bend around that space, or, can I gently twist that section facing up, and then twist it back to facing forward on the next arch? I know these things are fragile, and I don’t want to screw it up.

My second question is about the upcoming CCBs:

Does anyone know if they will chase like the CCRs? I think I can make those work to my borrowed design a lot easier and not mess them up for the simple reason of the supposed spacing between each bulb.

2nd year with LOR and 1st year greenhorn with RGB.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

dariansdad wrote:

I’ve been doing some math;

For two 8 ft. arches CCR = $249.95( 150 Channel Controller included), PCV/CPVC, fittings and glue $40.00, 2 million colors. Total approximately $300

For two 8 ft. arches 1 LOR Controller 249.95 (16 Channels), PCV/CPVC, fittings and glue $40.00, 1 Color, and 16 strands of LEDs, approximately $175. Total approximately $465.00

My first question is:

What needs to be done with a CCR to make the transition between Arches? The way I’m building the arches, there will be about 3-6 inches between each arch. Will I need to cut it in half (and void the warranty), or will it bend around that space, or, can I gently twist that section facing up, and then twist it back to facing forward on the next arch? I know these things are fragile, and I don’t want to screw it up.

My second question is about the upcoming CCBs:

Does anyone know if they will chase like the CCRs? I think I can make those work to my borrowed design a lot easier and not mess them up for the simple reason of the supposed spacing between each bulb.

2nd year with LOR and 1st year greenhorn with RGB.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

Ron

Does this help?- see picture.

I don't have 8 inches between the arches.

I haven't voided the warranty on these ribbons.

For my set up, Less than $20 bucks covers 2x 10 ft pieces of PVC, some tie wraps, 4x pieces of re-bar and a plastic container for the controller.

Steve

Attached files 305023=16733-2009 Nov arch.JPG

steve synek wrote:

Ron

For my set up, Less than $20 bucks covers 2x 10 ft pieces of PVC, some tie wraps, 4x pieces of re-bar and a plastic container for the controller.

Steve

I do the same thing as Steve. Haven't cut any CCRs yet....but you can cut them and splice them if you really wanted to.

I see that the RGB modules are not facing forward and one of your videos showed them very bright. I was planning on 4 mini arches and one CCR. The picture I've included is what I was planning using the opaque white PEX tubing and face the CCR up to illuminate the PEX from underneath. I'm still bumping around ideas in my head. Thanks for the replies folks.

Ron

Attached files CCR arches.pdf

I like the idea of keeping the ends up off the ground. I had the same setup with 8' pipe where the ends were on the ground, at the end of the season they were covered with dirt and mud from the rain.

steve synek wrote:

Ron

Steve

Steve ...

Do you have any video of your arches ?!

I want to do the same ... 4 arches with 2 CCRs.
I see on your that as your reach the bottom the ribbon goes more to the top of the PVC vs the front. Does it make much of a difference visually to the visitor ?!

Thanks,

Dave

RaceMedic wrote:

steve synek wrote:
Ron

Steve

Steve ...

Do you have any video of your arches ?!

I want to do the same ... 4 arches with 2 CCRs.
I see on your that as your reach the bottom the ribbon goes more to the top of the PVC vs the front. Does it make much of a difference visually to the visitor ?!

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, right under his picture is a vimeo link. I watched it as well. I don't think the visitors would even notice it being up off the ground, only you LoL. I'm going to do mine this way this year.

Dave

I am very particular on how my lights look during the day and night. The ribbons are so bright, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if they directly face the viewer or not. If you follow my link below, I have two videos on vimeo.

Steve

steve synek wrote:

Dave

I am very particular on how my lights look during the day and night. The ribbons are so bright, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if they directly face the viewer or not.  If you follow my link below, I have two videos on vimeo.

Steve

Sorry Steve .. and everyone else ... saw the link after I posted my comment .. using a small screen to reply initially put it off the screen !

Dave

SWood wrote:

I like the idea of keeping the ends up off the ground. I had the same setup with 8' pipe where the ends were on the ground, at the end of the season they were covered with dirt and mud from the rain. 

This year I used the sleeve concept with 6 sections per arch. I too kept them off the ground which you could not notice during the show. That way if it did snow they were still above the snow.

Dave

dariansdad asked: "The way I’m building the arches, there will be about 3-6 inches between each arch. Will I need to cut it in half (and void the warranty), or will it bend around that space, or, can I gently twist that section facing up, and then twist it back to facing forward on the next arch?"

If you just have 3-6 inches between the arches, instead of cutting the arches, I would just not use the pixels between the arches. For example, arch 1 would be pixels 1-24 and arch 2 uses pixels 27-50.

Kent

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watching these topics for awhile now, and I still keep wondering this.........

Why would you zip-tie them underneath if you're using opaque tubing? Why wouldn't you slide the CCR inside the tubing? Wouldn't that provide superior waterproofing AND diffusion of the light?

I don't think that would work. Opaque = not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.

• The topic was locked