Light-O-Rama Forums

Candy Canes

ToddH

Ok I searched and searched and didn't see any threads so I am sorry if this has been talked about.

Where in the world can I get 32"-36" hollow Candy Canes or how can I make them from PVC myself? (use a heat gun to bend?)

I would love to find some that are big enough to fit rope light through to light up. So i am open to ideas also.

Lowes sells some Gemmy ones that are 42" or something like that. They are red and white but not sure if they would lights up if rope lights were inserted into them.....

I have always made my own from 3/4" PVC. The only problem with that idea is, I don't know where you could get some clear PVC so that you can add lights inside. I always just used these canes to surround my yard and run four strings of lights between each cane like a fence. I do this for safety since there are so many trip hazards in my yard.

kzaas wrote:

I have always made my own from 3/4" PVC. The only problem with that idea is, I don't know where you could get some clear PVC so that you can add lights inside. I always just used these canes to surround my yard and run four strings of lights between each cane like a fence. I do this for safety since there are so many trip hazards in my yard.

I probably could find the clear at a plumbing supply store but then the question lies, how do you get the bend in it?

ToddH wrote:

kzaas wrote:

I probably could find the clear at a plumbing supply store but then the question lies, how do you get the bend in it?

Heat gun and patience. When youbuy it let me know, it seems were close Id like to see how it comes out!

I made 4- 6ft candy canes: 1/2" pvc with red/white rope light tie wrapped to the outside. I just used 45 degree elbows instead of heating them; at night, they look great so I've been told

I would say why bother with the clear pipe? Just take 1/4" steel rod (what a lot of wireframes are made of) and bend a piece into the candy cane shape.
Then tywrap the rope light to it.
Simple candy cane.
You could always make the long section on 1/4" rod 6" longer than the rope light and use it as a stake to hold the "candy cane" in the ground.
Certainly seems a lot easier than wasting the money and time on bending pvc to me?

Darn no edit!
You could use clear rope light and stain, dye, or paint the red strips onto it for the candy cane look.

beeiilll wrote:

Darn no edit!
You could use clear rope light and stain, dye, or paint the red strips onto it for the candy cane look.

Thats actually a great idea :) going to mess around with it a tad this weekend.

I thought about the wraping on the outside of items but don't want to lose the visual of the candy cane itself. I know those ones they sell that are light are hallow, was wondering if the opening in them is enough to swap out the lights and put in rope lights. Where do you all purchase you pre-made candy canes from? any good on line sorces?

ToddH wrote:

kzaas wrote:

would clear flexible tubing work? if so then tying it to rebar would keep it straight. just a thought

ToddH wrote:

beeiilll wrote:
Darn no edit!

That's actually a great idea :) going to mess around with it a tad this weekend.

I thought about the wrapping on the outside of items but don't want to lose the visual of the candy cane itself. I know those ones they sell that are light are hallow, was wondering if the opening in them is enough to swap out the lights and put in rope lights. Where do you all purchase you pre-made candy canes from? any good on line sources?
I think 1000bulbs.com has Candy Cane striped rope lights.

i just fill mine with hot boiling water bend to shape tie in place till cool no burn marks i use water that is about 240 degrees gotta be careful.also use a wooden mandrel as a form

After Christmas last year[2010], Lowe's had their 5 ft. candy canes on sell for 5 dollars. I bought 20 of them, popped off the end cap, drilled a hole near the bottom, and put LED ropelight in them. These are 4 ft. tall with a foot of curl. The ropelight was 6 ft. lengths so there was a foot outside the cane that I wrap with duct tape. They look pretty good.

Attached files 304292=16707-Video 10 0 00 00-01.jpg

Walmart sells candy canes every season for $2.00 each. One inch clear with either a green spiral or red spiral, already loaded with either red incandescents or green incandescents (mini-lights).

Sales usually start before Halloween.

As soon as I saw them, I picked up two dozen for a 12 point spinner and they worked out great; no engineering. Just some 4 inch ty-wraps (zip ties).

Maybe I'm just too lazy and blew $50, but I had a good display with them.

I waited till after season and got them for about $1.19 each. Pulling out the icans and putting in LEDs. Will use a DC controller board and a 48VDC P.S. (ok bumped to 51VDC)