Light-O-Rama Forums

Individual Pixel Control, not CCR

Denny

Can SuperStar be used to sequence individual pixels that are not CCR? Anticipating LOR's upgrade to E1.31 this year, I have ordered an ECG-P12R from Joshua 1 systems http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p12r/ .Communicating with Ed at Joshua 1 Systems, this controller will allow individual control of 12 strings of 170 pixels each. Sequencing 2040 pixels (channels) without the aid of software would be too formidable a task for me. Most people using this system either use LSP or Madrix. Since SuperStar makes sequencing of CCRs (with which I have no experience) easy, does anyone know if it can be used to sequence other pixel systems? I am hoping to use the system this year for a 15 foot mega tree. I was going to do a multi-color, spiral mega tree with leds this year, but seems this system would probably be about the same cost, or less, than building one with multiple strings of different leds. It would also give almost unlimited flexibility in colors, patterns, etc., if SuperStar can do the sequencing and E1.31 capability is provided by LOR this year.

I know superstar can help in this area but would require the max license to do that many strings. I do not have enough experience in the software yet on how to, but look up the few that have the pixel trees and ask them how they did it. The grinch one is rediculous with text, pictures, and color changes.

currently Superstar doesn't support DMX devices if that is how you will control the pixels. Per this thread a future release (says January) would support it. http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=28487&forum_id=96&highlight=superstar+dmx

I tried it this year but ran into this.

of note.. pixels eat up Visualizer memory extremely rapidly. It only supports so many elements. I had to do all of my pixels in the old animation window, and my traditional LOR in the Visualizer because of this. Use the 2 tools side by side and it worked ok for visualization.

heystew wrote:

currently Superstar doesn't support DMX devices if that is how you will control the pixels. Per this thread a future release (says January) would support it. http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=28487&forum_id=96&highlight=superstar+dmx

I tried it this year but ran into this.

of note.. pixels eat up Visualizer memory extremely rapidly. It only supports so many elements. I had to do all of my pixels in the old animation window, and my traditional LOR in the Visualizer because of this. Use the 2 tools side by side and it worked ok for visualization.

There is a beta release scheduled for this week and in that release SuperStar will have DMX support.

Denny wrote:

Can SuperStar be used to sequence individual pixels that are not CCR? Anticipating LOR's upgrade to E1.31 this year, I have ordered an ECG-P12R from Joshua 1 systems http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p12r/ .Communicating with Ed at Joshua 1 Systems, this controller will allow individual control of 12 strings of 170 pixels each. Sequencing 2040 pixels (channels) without the aid of software would be too formidable a task for me. Most people using this system either use LSP or Madrix. Since SuperStar makes sequencing of CCRs (with which I have no experience) easy, does anyone know if it can be used to sequence other pixel systems? I am hoping to use the system this year for a 15 foot mega tree. I was going to do a multi-color, spiral mega tree with leds this year, but seems this system would probably be about the same cost, or less, than building one with multiple strings of different leds. It would also give almost unlimited flexibility in colors, patterns, etc., if SuperStar can do the sequencing and E1.31 capability is provided by LOR this year.

Hard for me to give a definitive answer. What I can say is that the SuperStar Sequencer creates files that the LOR Sequence Editor can play. So if the LOR Sequence Editor can play to your RGB pixels then it should work.
Also, the SuperStar Sequencer can sequence to any lights that are defined in a Visualization file. So if you can define your pixels in the visualizer, you can sequence them in the SuperStar Sequencer.
Also, as noted in this thread, the current release of SuperStar Sequencer does not support DMX, but the code for DMX support is on my computer and has been tested by two users and they report that it works. DMX support will be in the next S3 release.

I have ordered the ECG-P12R, so guess I better get a couple pixel strings on order now to play with. Probably the best thing to do would be to try some text sequences with SuperStar and see what happens when the E1.31 is released. Thanks for the info.

I know I can create pixels in visualizer and import them into Superstar and it will allow them to Autosequence. I have yet to figure out how to sequence the pixels in my visualier like you would a CCR. Now a fun workaround, depending on how many you use or setup you can setup CCRs, I belive you can change them to DMX output instead of native CCR export that sequence then copy and paste them over. It sounds like more work than it is. I have 10 25 pixel strings and so far so good in terms of programming.