Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up LOR as Stand Alone

Guest guest

If you set up the controller as a stand alone unit, without a connection to a PC, how large can the sequence be and are there any other limitations? I assume you would build the sequence, then load it as you normally would, but it is stored in the unit thus allowing you to disconnect the connection to the PC?

I didn't write it down when I saw it posted a while back. Dan will have to refresh my memory as to the memory limitations of the controllers.

However, you are correct in your thinking. You download the sequence to the controller, which will then run when power is connected to the unit.

Your other main limitation, as it stands today, is that you can not do musical animation in standalone mode.

Don is correct, you cannot do musical sequences today. Here are some other facts:

Sequence can be 30K. Now you can't tell by looking at a sequence file how large the download will be. You have to use the hardware utility to check it in the standalone section.

The time resolution is 1/10 second... You can use a time interval less than 1/10 second but detail may be lost.

With loops you can only nest 10 deep.

Loop speed modifications do not work in StandAlone mode.

Thanks guys. I wouldn't want to do a musical syncronization...I am thinking about a light "show" that would be seen in a business window after closing, so music isn't necessary. But, animated lights of all sorts would certainly draw attention.

In my situation, I could never offer a musical light show, as I am located on a very busy state highway where cars zoom by at 45+ mph. If I had an FM transmitter, folks driving by might be able to hear something for a couple of seconds at best. Stopping and slowing down would be a major traffic problem, so for the time being, all of my light ideas have to be done without music. Bummer...but I can still attract attention with some simple light shows.