Light-O-Rama Forums

Twisting light strings together

Bcspy

Want to do a spiral/weber mega tree. What is best way to twist or braid four string led lights together? Would a drill be to fast or should I use an old motor from a blender, grinder, or chopper? I would like to make a jig and do it by myself. Aloha

I used to use a drill but had problems regulating the speed. Now I do it the old fashioned way and either attach one end to a tree and twist, or ask a dear family member to hold one end while I twist. :P

I just evenly spaced the lights (R,G,B,W) and zip-tied them together.

Think about the future if and when you may need to replace one of the strings and having to undo them...

Also...twisting them together will shorten the strings of lights...which could work for or against you...

I don't twist or zip tie my 'mega strings together. 4 strings of lights are attached to the hook head at the top, and those same 4 strings are zip tied to the bottom base of the tree. They twist/entangle themselves with each other just fine on their own.:cool:

jimswinder wrote:

I just evenly spaced the lights (R,G,B,W) and zip-tied them together.

+1

Much easier & works just as well!:)

I also just zip tied them but as separate RW and BG super strings. If your planning on a spiral tree, having 2 sets let you run the RW string in one direction and the BG string in the opposite direction. Everyone really loved the effect on the spiral tree and having the tree spin in different directions just gives you a few more sequencing options.

I aligned the four sets evenly, bulb to bulb, zip-tied one end to an anchor (tree trunk) then just braided them.. did not shorten the lengths any.. Only idea against braiding them, is if a string goes bad (unrepairable), you'll have to clip the string off as it's braided between strings..

wbottomley wrote:

I run in circles until they are together.

William...they are together...

you can quit running in circles...

:P

KarlSmith wrote:

I do the same as Paul. No twisting.

I'm not in favor of doing the twist either. But a nicely executed jitterbug will have the neighbors smiling.