Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you keep controllers from being stolen?

jgordon

T110431 wrote:

skip to about the 4 minute point

I like at 5:36 the way he bends over and it looks like he's shooting out his a$$ at the dumpster.

I still think the sniper method is best, though. It would definitely be nice to see vandals and thieves frying and twitching, but unless you had pinpoint control of those electrons there's still too much potential (no pun intended) for the electronics of the display to be damaged.

Don Gillespie wrote:

I have a cable that I run through the controller (the same place where the cat5 goes through) and loop it around a tree so far so good still have all y controllers.

What??? No alarm system???:)

George Simmons wrote:

T110431 wrote:
how about having a sniper sit up in your tree in your yard and once some one steps foot on the property line blamo
or maby a mine field in your yard

I think I'd choose the sniper - too much chance of the mine damaging the display...

Just don't use this guy, 50 cal rifle, 1,000 yards, steel plate for target. OUCH!!

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/stunts/50_Cal_Ricochet_Headshot/

Guest Don Gillespie

shfr26 wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
I have a cable that I run through the controller (the same place where the cat5 goes through) and loop it around a tree so far so good still have all y controllers.

What??? No alarm system???:)

not on my controllers Pete, the little thieves like to take the nice looking stuff like trains and penguins thats where the alarm comes in. :)

They may not be smart but High Voltage to them may mean Copper. Family of cops so I know what gets stolen around here often. If it has copper in it, consider it gone in most of the neighborhoods without a strong police presence. They stole and air conditioner only last week from the roof of a Kmart, how do you even get something that size down, regardless of how they got up there!

I opted to group all of my controllers in a single location and run extension (SPT2) to the elements. I felt this was more cost effective for me. The controllers are locked in a large Rubbermaid Deck box that is bolted to the wall right next to my bedroom. Inside the box they are bolted to plywood backing board. I feel that this offers some security, but also keeps the controllers, the AC cords, and the male end of the extension cords completely dry. It is in a shaded location so the box and controllers stay out year around. The Deck Box is located right next to my dedicated subpanel and outlet junction box so that my AC cords are kept to a minimum too. All of this is out of sight hehind a 6' wood privacy fency and locked gate.

I opted to store 6 of my controllers under my 4' tall wire frame Christmas trees. I have two wood stakes in the ground that each controller mount to. People can't see them and the weather doesn't get to them with the garland....

Attached files 303472=16650-4ft tree.jpg

I have the metal boxes but you could do it with the plastic...... I have my controllers individually mounted in a metal metre board enclosure (Australian) ....

I than put the controller in the central area of the display so that i don't have any extension cords..... i only had 3 last year, but what i do here is join them inside waterproof boxes and screw them shut than screw them to the roof!

Hey reitan_family, you can keep that snow. Good grief, you have enough of it there I hope you can even see the lights :P Looks like those trees effectively hide the controllers just fine - even before the snow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in a relatively low-crime area, but with so many controllers, I have security cameras on 4 points of my display, hooked up to a DVR that records based on motion. I can check the cameras (and recorded video) from my iPhone.

I also have two PIR sensors hooked up to LOR inputs, that trigger 1 minute of lighting up a section of the display. Two ways to look at that - it will scare away the dumb thieves, and will give the smart ones light to work by...

The biggest theft prevention item I have (in my opinion) are my "tune to" signs that warn that video recording is in progress 24/7.