Light-O-Rama Forums

Rookie/Newbie

trafficman

OK. I am going to bite the dust and buy 8 ccr's for next years show. Not sure if I am even a rookie at this point. LOL. I have 25 LOR's mixed with with a few of the new 3.

Questions that come to mind if anyone can help is:

1. If I upgrade to S3 will I need to update firmware in the controllers?

2. I have advanced S2 now and if I buy Superstar will I still need to buy S3.

3. How many CCR's can I run on a network cable without lag?

4. Does each network need a 232 to 485 adaptor?

5. What hub do most on here use?

6. Has anyone built a powerpoint on how to hook / wire / setup the CCR. If so can I have a copy of it.. LOL

I love the look of the ccr and hope I am not making a mistake moving in this direction.

thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Some answers for you.

1) Generally speaking, updating firmware isn't something that is normally needed. If it's working, then no reason to mess with it.

2) Purchasing any CCR license counts as a renewal for your overall license.

3) Depends. If all CCR's are assigned to one UnitID, then in theory you could run 20 without lag.

4) Yes.

5) I don't use one. Can't answer that.

6) Connecting a CCR to your LOR network is as simple as plugging in the CCR controller to your other controllers. Take a look at this link:
http://www.lightorama.com/TypicalSetups.html#Simple_Controller_Configuration_with_Cosmic_Color_Ribbon

trafficman wrote:

5. What hub do most on here use?

I used a Belkin and ran my 12 CRR's on two separate Networks...

similar to this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-F4U020-4port-Usb-2-0-Hub-W-power-Perp-Supply-/230688020346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b613d77a

Each network? Do you have one of the 232 to 485 adaptors for each network? I may ask a dumb question so it does not hurt my feelings one bit if I get a LOL back. I did read in the forums that I should only use two CCR on a network. Guess I can dig in a 2 inch conduit and add as needed. I am a little scared of unknown but dont mind making the show better.

Jeff

Don, I am looking at having 8 ccr's so what would a typical layout be link. BTW. Thanks for that layout link but it's not going deep enough for me as I order equipment. Thanks again for all the help. More questions will be coming as I set all this up.

Jeff

trafficman wrote:

Each network? Do you have one of the 232 to 485 adaptors for each network?

**yes**

I may ask a dumb question so it does not hurt my feelings one bit if I get a LOL back.

**and more than likely, over time I will give you a pretty dumb answer!! LOl**

I did read in the forums that I should only use two CCR on a network.

**I don't believe that is correct...but there are a lot of variables that dictate when you need additional networks...the biggesyt is how much "data" is being sent over the networks...if you are asking the CCR's to do a lot of things in a very short amount of time, you might need more than one network to handle the "data load". IT alos depends if you have the CCR's set up as 150 individual pixels, or grouped as 50 pixels (so basically three pixels act as one, and take less data to control them)**

More confused? :D

Guess I can dig in a 2 inch conduit and add as needed. I am a little scared of unknown but dont mind making the show better.

Jeff

This monster 10 port hub worked fine for me last season.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817397019&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Why are you running conduit?

Additional adapters are not that big an expense in the grand scheme. But they are definitely harder to manage in the HWU and sequences.

You may want to run some tests to verify performance. My CCRs never showed 'lag' but did drop commands so the pixels did not light when I expected them to. So it appeared that they were no sync'd. This only happened with very complex movements and color changes on multiple CCRs at once. No problems seen when using macros.

In my setup of 8, they are grouped in fours, so I had an adapter for each set of four, plus 1 for the 10 regular controllers.

jimswinder wrote:

trafficman wrote:
Each network? Do you have one of the 232 to 485 adaptors for each network?

**yes**

I may ask a dumb question so it does not hurt my feelings one bit if I get a LOL back.

**and more than likely, over time I will give you a pretty dumb answer!!  LOl**

I did read in the forums that I should only use two CCR on a network.

**I don't believe that is correct...but there are a lot of variables that dictate when you need additional networks...the biggesyt is how much "data" is being sent over the networks...if you are asking the CCR's to do a lot of things in a very short amount of time, you might need more than one network to handle the "data load". IT alos depends if you have the CCR's set up as 150 individual pixels, or grouped as 50 pixels (so basically three pixels act as one, and take less data to control them)**

More confused?  :)

Guess I can dig in a 2 inch conduit and add as needed. I am a little scared of unknown but dont mind making the show better.

Jeff

[/Yep. Confused a little but understand if I want it to run proper maybe my only chance to get it right the first time around. LOL]

BOB.. Running the network in conduit incase I need to pull more in. It would be my easy way out if needed. Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

OK moving into the CCR world with either 8 or 10. Any do's and don't would help.

Question I have about the software. I have read in many places that Superstar can program the lights and CCR. If you dont like it then you can select roll the dice and view another option. If this is true does it program the mini's also or just the CCR's?

thanks,
jeff

trafficman wrote:

OK moving into the CCR world with either 8 or 10. Any do's and don't would help.

**Get an even 12**

Question I have about the software. I have read in many places that Superstar can program the lights and CCR. If you dont like it then you can select roll the dice and view another option. If this is true does it program the mini's also or just the CCR's?

**Yes..you can import your Channel Configuration/Visualizer and you can use that to do an "Instant Sequence"**

Thanks for the update Jim. I posted a reply on the blue lights you got. Might be a PM sent to you.

Jeff

I need to ask a related newbie question here. I don't have any CCR's at this moment. Reviewing the Superstar software, demo mode in this case with an Advanced license already, I don't see any way of adding an existing sequence to the CCR or the other way around. I don't want to have to toss out all of my sequencing efforts to add on CCR's. Am I missing something really obvious or is it a matter of the demo mode for SuperStar?

dgrant wrote:

I need to ask a related newbie question here. I don't have any CCR's at this moment. Reviewing the Superstar software, demo mode in this case with an Advanced license already, I don't see any way of adding an existing sequence to the CCR or the other way around. I don't want to have to toss out all of my sequencing efforts to add on CCR's. Am I missing something really obvious or is it a matter of the demo mode for SuperStar?

I think you could do it one of two ways...

Either

1) Add the CCR's to your existing sequence or

2) (And this is what I did) put your CCR's in their own sequence and then run it with your original sequence as a sub-sequence. This way you don't have about 1800 channels (if you have 12 CCR's) in with your original sequence. I find this an easier way to manage the CCR's myself...

Ok.. Another question. Since the cord is short on each CCR can several post pictures how they protect the power and controller. Need plenty of ideas..
Thanks,
Jeff

and this year I plan on cutting the CCR ribbon cord and adding these waterproof molex connectors so I can easily disconnect the ribbon from the enclosure

Attached files 305103=16735-molex connetor.JPG

Jim,

What size box are those and is that power connections on the side? Thanks for the quick response.

Jeff

trafficman wrote:

Jim,

What size box are those and is that power connections on the side? Thanks for the quick response.

Jeff
12x12x6..got them at Lowes..

And yes, power outlets on the side for the power adpators...two duplexes...

Attached files 305110=16736-ccr enclosure 4.jpg