Light-O-Rama Forums

New RGB 6803 pixel strip firestick

bretk

Ok got it thanks, that's the part that isn't going to make sense to me until I actually get the goods to play with :-)

I don't have the Enttec, I have iDMX but should still work the same? Did you make that test sequence or is there a default one out there somewhere?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bretk

• TitanBry77

• WilliamS

• harrison0550

Ahh beat me to it, I was on the same track using that white Tinters PVC trick from the Aus forums. I was going to run then with 2 strips of about 20 pixels in unison in the tube for more effects. Glad to see how it looks before I worked on it.

TitanBry77 wrote:

Hmm, what is Tinters PVC?

It seems to be found at the center of a roll of Window tint. Big to do on the other lighting forum. Its thin walled white pvc but color comes through very nice.

bretk wrote:

Brett, if I understand you right you are using 3 LED's per pixel. 25 pixels on half a strip; 75 LED's; 3 LED's per pixel.

Is that the way this strip is made or is that just the way you chose to use it?

Yes, the strip, like the ccr is addressable at 3 5050 LEDs per section = pixel each approx 3 " section contains 3 LEDs and one 6803 chip and various resistors. See the ccr pics in the lor site for a photo

bretk wrote:

that firestick is 1/2 of a strip, 25 rgb channels or 75 discrete dmx channels. the controller that comes with it can do 2 complete strips, or 300 channels with addition of more power between strips. I will set up the data path like this:

Computer->usb->enttec Pro->DMX5 TO CAT 5->cat 5 cable->cat5 to 3 pin dmx->DMX DECODER->4 CONDUCTOR WIRE->stick1 ->stick2-> add more power but data and clock run straight thru->stick3->stick 4

...And that was the most brilliant ascii diagram of your wiring!

As far as the Tinters PVC is concerned. I have found that if you visit your local tint shops that most are more than happy to give you the tubes. What I have seen they come in 20" and 40" lengths.

Now I'm trying to find a way to join them without causing a dark spot at the attachment point.

bretk wrote:

I will set up the data path like this:

Computer->usb->enttec Pro->DMX5 TO CAT 5->cat 5 cable->cat5 to 3 pin dmx->DMX DECODER->4 CONDUCTOR WIRE->stick1 ->stick2-> add more power but data and clock run straight thru->stick3->stick 4

OK, 300 channels, that leaves 212 for this universe network(correct term) Could I set up more like this:
DMX DECODER OUT-->dmx5 to cat5->cat 5 cable->power injection non-data wires->cheap 3 channel dmx OR 128 channel controller

Trying to determine is I'd need an additional enttec Pro for other rgb projects.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/340705448-DD-100-series-mini-DMX-protocol-decoder-support-LPD6803-protocol-control-signal-wholesalers.html
Am I understanding this controller correctly? Here's my project for this year. I'm making the mega ball tree with dumb RGB ribbon and using 30 channels LOR DC controller or get the 6803 ribbon and the 1024 channel controller for $17 plus $20 shipping and go absolutely insane with it?!

Attached files 304262=16706-DSC_0485-2.png

With needing 105 meters for this project, the smart strips is waaaay beyond my budget. But using ten of the $6 three channel controllers would work for my original idea, correct, along with an Anttec?

scubado wrote:

With needing 105 meters for this project, the smart strips is waaaay beyond my budget. But using ten of the $6 three channel controllers would work for my original idea, correct, along with an Anttec?

If each ball is 10 meters of strip, you are using 30 led/meter strip, and you feed the strips in parallel from each controller this should work fine.

Ok, so u want each ball as a single rgb channel? I would probably try and use a nine channel controller for each ball so you could split each ball into thirds? That way you get more options at little increased cost