Light-O-Rama Forums

New RGB 6803 pixel strip firestick

bretk

Ok,

I started playing around with my dmx pixel strips from Ray, I got the 6803s as I plan on also using a couple as slaves with my ccr's. This firestick however is using Rays 6803 dmx decoder and an enttec pro on the computer side. The 8' stick consists of 25 pixels running up a 1/2" conduit core and covered with a 3" PVC cap and 3" white bilge vent hose. I am planning on 4 for next years display, and each will be topped with a 6 spoked Dan-Burst.

th_firestick0001.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bretk

• TitanBry77

• WilliamS

• harrison0550

Nice job Bret
That is going to make a great addition to your display. It doesn't look like they fade down too bad at all from your video. Of course probably 99.9% of people watching them would never be able to tell anyway.

Good deal. I was looking at that controller as well but got to reading a bit over on the Aussie forums and came across a thread talking about these $12.50 128 channel mini controllers that may be perfect for a firestick. Don't know if you have already ordered the other 3 controllers for your other firesticks but it may be worth checking out at that price. If you've ever seen any of Fast Eddy's videos he used these little controllers to run the strips out in his yard. Might be worth a look......
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/340705448-DD-100-series-mini-DMX-protocol-decoder-support-LPD6803-protocol-control-signal-wholesalers.html

Again great job!

Gotcha. I thought about it after I posted that. In my head I said "you know I bet he is going to use the same controller for all 4 firesticks" lol great minds think alike, mines just a little slower.

Love it! What a cool idea, you guys are so creative. Do you have any closer pictures of the build of the firestick. I can make most of it out, but is the strip just wrapped around the 1/2" stuff, and then you slid the bilge hose over top of it?

bretk wrote:

Ok,

I started playing around with my dmx pixel strips from Ray, I got the 6803s as I plan on also using a couple as slaves with my ccr's. This firestick however is using Rays 6803 dmx decoder and an enttec pro on the computer side. The 8' stick consists of 25 pixels running up a 1/2" conduit core and covered with a 3" PVC cap and 3" white bilge vent hose. I am planning on 4 for next years display, and each will be topped with a 6 spoked Dan-Burst.

th_firestick0001.jpg

bretk wrote:

Greg wrote:
Nice. How many of those are you planning to make

Thanks! I am planning on 4 of them.

I think that will be very cool, good luck

Thanks! So how many DMX channels does that one firestick take?

I ordered the same strip as you with the one controller, I thought about also doing some strips horizontal across my house but wasn't sure if I'd need more of the DMX controller that comes with Ray's or just the strips by themselves.

that firestick is 1/2 of a strip, 25 rgb channels or 75 discrete dmx channels. the controller that comes with it can do 2 complete strips, or 300 channels with addition of more power between strips. I will set up the data path like this:

Computer->usb->enttec Pro->DMX5 TO CAT 5->cat 5 cable->cat5 to 3 pin dmx->DMX DECODER->4 CONDUCTOR WIRE->stick1 ->stick2-> add more power but data and clock run straight thru->stick3->stick 4

Ok gotcha, thanks for the info. So with just that one controller you can do your 4 sticks, and then that's it, the controller is maxed out.

Now, can each stick do a different sequence? This is where I get lost on DMX and probably it won't make sense until my hardware arrives.