Light-O-Rama Forums

Any idea which of these is the Triac number?

Guest guest

Okay, to the best of what I can try and see, these are the numbers on the triac in my CTB16PC Controller V2 board.

BTA16 600BU/6008U/600BW/6008W? I just can't tell what number/letter combo it is, could be one of these 4.

6K056/6KO56? VU

CHN 935

Is all I can barely read on the triac, I know the channel 5 triac is bad because it won't turn off completely, hangs at 40%-75% depending on the type light strand, LED or Incandescent.

Trying to locate a replacement, but having no idea what the actual number is for a V2 CTB16PC Controller.

Anyone have a source for them or know what the actual Triac number is I need for a V2 CTB16PC Controller board?

I can't seem to locate any of these numbers,(been searching for hours) and that's why I'm asking if anyone has any idea what the actual number for these Triacs are.

Hi Orville,

Contact LOR for a replacement, those triacs have bent legs if the pc board is like the d board. You could bend your own, but risk messing up the triac. The bta16 600 whatever is the correct number though, go to mouser.com and search bta16, then 600volt, and you'll see a bunch of different ones available.

bisquit476 wrote:

Hi Orville,

Contact LOR for a replacement, those triacs have bent legs if the pc board is like the d board. You could bend your own, but risk messing up the triac. The bta16 600 whatever is the correct number though, go to mouser.com and search bta16, then 600volt, and you'll see a bunch of different ones available.

Thanks.

Although I find the bent legs Interesting.

The Triacs on my board have straight legs. No bend to any of them at all. They go straight down into the board.

I purchased the fully assembled CTB16PC with the higher rated heat sinks, whether or not that has anything to do with the Triac legs being bent I would have no idea.

Just know mine are as straight as an ruler.

I've attached the data sheet from STMicroelectronics. There are many suppliers for this Triac. The STMicroelectronics part number is: BTA16-600B. The part number from ON Semiconductor is: BTA16-600BW3G. These triacs are common parts you can get them at Mouser, Digikey, Newark, etc.

John

Attached files BTA16_Triac.pdf

jsholla wrote:

I've attached the data sheet from STMicroelectronics. There are many suppliers for this Triac. The STMicroelectronics part number is: BTA16-600B. The part number from ON Semiconductor is: BTA16-600BW3G. These triacs are common parts you can get them at Mouser, Digikey, Newark, etc.

John

Thanks for the pdf and additional info John!

Going to see if I can find these locally to me if at all possible.

They're available on Ebay, but I'd get the more robust versions; the BTA24-600 ones that are the same dimensions.

I looked online and found:

West Florida Components
5903 Trouble Creek Rd
New Port Richey, FL 34652

It looked like they might have the ST part. They can cross reference to another manufacturer. If they don't have it they will know where in Orlando to find one.

Hello
BTA16-600W is the best part to replace old one.
W prefix one has snubberless characteristic part of this triac. If you chose non-snubberless(standart) triacs, you can cause Unwanted turn-ons and voltage spikes when you use it.
Best Regards
Volkan

Orville wrote:

Okay, to the best of what I can try and see, these are the numbers on the triac in my CTB16PC Controller V2 board.

BTA16 600BU/6008U/600BW/6008W? I just can't tell what number/letter combo it is, could be one of these 4.

6K056/6KO56? VU

CHN 935

Is all I can barely read on the triac, I know the channel 5 triac is bad because it won't turn off completely, hangs at 40%-75% depending on the type light strand, LED or Incandescent.

Trying to locate a replacement, but having no idea what the actual number is for a V2 CTB16PC Controller.

Anyone have a source for them or know what the actual Triac number is I need for a V2 CTB16PC Controller board?

I can't seem to locate any of these numbers,(been searching for hours) and that's why I'm asking if anyone has any idea what the actual number for these Triacs are.

Guest wbottomley

Orville wrote:

BTA16  600BU/6008U/600BW/6008W?   I just can't tell what number/letter combo it is, could be one of these 4.

6K056/6KO56?   VU

CHN  935

I can't seem to locate any of these numbers,(been searching for hours) and that's why I'm asking if anyone has any idea what the actual number for these Triacs are.

Orville... You do know version three boards have backlit Triac's? They are pretty cool looking at night.

wbottomley wrote:

Orville... You do know version three boards have backlit Triac's? They are pretty cool looking at night.

Just a heads up. The G3 cards do not have any indicators per channel. (have already responded to a trouble ticket from a customer that has asked if their G3 card was not functioning correctly).

PC V1 cards have the the center triac leg offset. PC V2 cards do not have the center leg offset.

As mentioned you an use the BTA16-600BW or the BTA24-600BW. The 16 is a 16 amp triac the 24 is a 26 amp triac. BTA24-600BW triacs are used in G3 controllers.

If you were to enter a trouble ticket the repair dept will ship a part out to you at no charge.

Dan

Max-Paul wrote:

Triac has at least 1 bent leg per Triac. The voltage regulators have straight legs.

Really? I have some VR's that have bent legs. And the triacs on my board look straight to me.

See attached photo: (I don't see any bent legs!)

Attached files 302654=16629-Triac-Photo-CTB16PC-V2.jpg

wbottomley wrote:

Orville wrote:

6K056/6KO56? VU

CHN 935

Sure they do! Nice try, but even I'm smart enough not to fall for that one.;)

It could possibly be done, and would sure make it easier to locate and find the number stamped on it.:D

But I'm NOT going to request that option!:P

LightORamaDan wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

Just a heads up. The G3 cards do not have any indicators per channel. (have already responded to a trouble ticket from a customer that has asked if their G3 card was not functioning correctly).

PC V1 cards have the the center triac leg offset. PC V2 cards do not have the center leg offset.

As mentioned you an use the BTA16-600BW or the BTA24-600BW. The 16 is a 16 amp triac the 24 is a 26 amp triac. BTA24-600BW triacs are used in G3 controllers.

If you were to enter a trouble ticket the repair dept will ship a part out to you at no charge.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Ticket submitted. Actually have two controllers that have the same issue, so told support I need two triacs, both are V2 boards CTB16PC controllers.

BTW: William was just pulling my chain, he wasn't serious about that.:cool: That came from another thread about EDM transmitters not having backlit displays, but I found EDM will customize their units and add one for a very small fee of $10.00.

They're just upset because they could have had it and didn't know about it.:shock::D:P

Have no issue with William pulling your leg :D Just turns out that within 2 minutes someone had opened a trouble ticket saying that they did not have "triac indicators" on their new controller. When asked they pointed out this thread. Just wanted to nip it in the bud.

Dan

wbottomley wrote:

This turned out much better than I anticipated. It was meant for a tongue-n-cheek for Orville, but dang!

I'm honestly laughing so hard, I'm crying.

That makes two of us William!

Everytime I read that, I just can't help but start laughing hysterically, and my wife is wondering what I'm watching on TV that is soooooo funny! Sorry hon, it's NOT on TV!

Hmm, last year it was the autosequencer.

This year it was the back-lit triacs.

I can hardly wait to see what William will come up with next year! :dude::cool::P:D:D:D:D

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

Hmm, last year it was the autosequencer.

This year it was the back-lit triacs.

I can hardly wait to see what William will come up with next year! :dude::cool::P:D:D:D:D

Greg

Maybe he will have two in one year! :shock:

Guest wbottomley

Jeff Millard wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
Have no issue with William pulling your leg :D Just turns out that within 2 minutes someone had opened a trouble ticket saying that they did not have "triac indicators" on their new controller. When asked they pointed out this thread. Just wanted to nip it in the bud.

Dan

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!   :):D:D

That's the second time I've spit coffee on my keyboard today!

Jeff :D

I am glad to make your day.