• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmoore

• hdracer

• SteveMaris

• Caleb Linburg

Well Im mainly interested in s3 expierience course... I thought I read that the class is gonna be held on day 3. That makes it June 17th (Fathers Day). Me being a Dad & the main reason of me doing this hobby is my 3 year old daughter & 13 year old son.. Will they be holding the s3 course any other day?

I dhdracer wrote:

Well Im mainly interested in s3 expierience course... I thought I read that the class is gonna be held on day 3. That makes it June 17th (Fathers Day). Me being a Dad & the main reason of me doing this hobby is my 3 year old daughter & 13 year old son.. Will they be holding the s3 course any other day?

I don't know - you'll need to ask the fine folks of LSH.

hdracer wrote:

Everything I've read has it only on Sunday, 6/17.

http://www.theultimateacademy.com/education/s3experience/

Ok spoke to the wife. Now that I am home... Told her of the class! She said "what an easy gift for the kids to give you"!
I will be attending this fasho!!

hdracer wrote:

Ok spoke to the wife. Now that I am home... Told her of the class! She said "what an easy gift for the kids to give you"!
I will be attending this fasho!!

Awsome! I'm pretty sure you'll come away from the event with tons of new ideas, friendships and energy to move onto Christmas and Halloween!

See you there - and be sure to stop by the HolidayCoro Booth at the event!

Sorry to butt in, but just to help with understanding the LoR DC Controllers. Click on this link and it'll help you follow what I'm saying:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1552586516070_2186_2020034

That's a picture of LoR's DC controller, CMB16D. There are 16 channels, each with + and - hookups. Each RGB LED strip has four wires coming out of it: 1 common anode, or the power wire which plugs into a + terminal on the DC controller. The other 3 wires are the individual colors, Red, Green, and Blue wires. Those plug into the - (negative) terminals on the DC controller. Because the RGB channels require 3 negative inputs per RGB strip, and you have 16 total negative terminals on the DC controller, you have a total of 5 RGB LED strips that will use 15 of the 16 negative terminals on this particular DC controller with one left over. The positives are almost never fully utilized.

Hope this helps either yourself or others understand the DC controller :P

dmoore wrote:

SteveMaris wrote:
Hey Dave,
Are the candy cane pole toppers going to be available soon?
Thanks

Yes, the design is completed and tested and works great and the material is coming from the supplier tomorrow so that I can get some cutout this weekend.  Then it's just a matter of making the assembly video and printed instructions.  I'd look for them on the website before next weekend (18th).

Thanks,
David

The assembly video for the RGB Candy Cane Post Toppers has been posted here:

dmoore wrote:

dmoore wrote:
SteveMaris wrote:
Hey Dave,
Thanks

Yes, the design is completed and tested and works great and the material is coming from the supplier tomorrow so that I can get some cutout this weekend.  Then it's just a matter of making the assembly video and printed instructions.  I'd look for them on the website before next weekend (18th).

Thanks,
David

Seems simple enough. I have a question.
Are the 5050 leds on rgb strips different than the ones used in the rectangle modules?

In other words If I took 4 little strips of 3 leds each and wired them up, would the light output be the same?
The reason I would even consider it is because one of the strips I purchased from Ebay was not waterproof and I did not notice until after I paid for it.
So I am now looking to use it for something...

SteveMaris wrote:

dmoore wrote:
dmoore wrote:
SteveMaris wrote:
Hey Dave,
Thanks

Thanks,
David

Seems simple enough. I have a question.
Are the 5050 leds on rgb strips different than the ones used in the rectangle modules?

In other words If I took 4 little strips of 3 leds each and wired them up, would the light output be the same?
The reason I would even consider it is because one of the strips I purchased from Ebay was not waterproof and I did not notice until after I paid for it.
So I am now looking to use it for something...

Generally speaking, the 5050 (5.0mm x 5.0mm) RGB LEDs are the same on the strip as they are on the modules.

Sure - you could use strip instead of modules since it is waterproof inside the dome - it just requires that you solder on some jumpers between each section.

I have a couple questions:
1. The 5050 RGB 150 led/meter ribbons are rated for 7.2 wats per meter. Is this all three channels on? I'm assuming yes?
2. My project has 10 meters (6amps)per element X 10 elements. Will the 27 channel be able to handle what I need? And/or will the 3 channel controllers work?

scubado wrote:

I have a couple questions:
1. The 5050 RGB 150 led/meter ribbons are rated for 7.2 wats per meter. Is this all three channels on? I'm assuming yes?
2. My project has 10 meters (6amps)per element X 10 elements. Will the 27 channel be able to handle what I need? And/or will the 3 channel controllers work?

1 - I would never trust any specs you see and I would measure them directly using a multi-meter. Information here: http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=18

2 - The 27 channel unit only does 1 amp/channel but the bigger question is - is this a distributed system or a centralized system. You need to measure up all the current draws, then determine if the controller can handle the entire draw.

My Megaball tree is 10 elements in one. It can be central or decentralized. Looks like the 27 channel contoller is out of the equation for this project. The three channel controllers are said to be weather proof? Does everyone still put them in some sort of container for extra protection, is it nessessary?

scubado wrote:

My Megaball tree is 10 elements in one. It can be central or decentralized. Looks like the 27 channel contoller is out of the equation for this project. The three channel controllers are said to be weather proof? Does everyone still put them in some sort of container for extra protection, is it nessessary?

I tried a centralized approach for some DC powered snowfall lights and it turned out to be a mess. For some things centralized works great (pixel megatrees) but for others where items are dispersed it can result in spaghetti wiring.

I have used, literally, hundreds of the 3 channel DMX controllers in the boxes without issue - I think you just have to be smart about how you use them. If you need them to be 100% waterproof, you just unscrew the top and cover them with silicone caulk - it takes all of 45 seconds to do.

Here is a video on how to build the RGB MegaBalls:
http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=13

• The topic was locked