• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmoore

• hdracer

• SteveMaris

• Caleb Linburg

You can also program them using a standard LOR USB dongle as long as you line up the pinout correctly.

In the PDF manual on David's HolidayCoro site it explains how to do this both with his adapter and with a standard LOR adapter.

The above answers are correct. There is also written and video documenation on our website here:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?cat=16

We are working with the mfg to produce a little hand held programmer that will read/write/test/change settings (test sequence style, etc) and should have more information when we return from china in March.

Thanks,
David
HolidayCoro

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Is there any way to connect these 3 channel controllers to a computer without the LOR USB dongle? Can you mabey just wire the controller right to USB?

No, the interface used to communicate with nearly all DMX and LOR based controllers is what is called RS-485. These "dongles" convery the signal from the serial USB into the serial RS-485 signal. So, at some point, every controller needs an adapter or "dongle" to convert the signal.

You can order an RGB sample pack (3#) from us and it includes a dongle, though we don't recommend it's use with LOR but instead recommend xlights to test your sequences. For a "supported" adapter, I would recommend the Enttec Pro at about $160. So, the sample kit will allow you to do all the testing with different LED modules and xLights and get comfortable with DMX and RGB lighting for under $50.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/35.htm

35-2.jpg

dmoore wrote:

Denis Chaput wrote:
dmoore wrote:
Denis Chaput wrote:
dmoore wrote:
Joe Rayburn wrote:
SteveMaris wrote:
This is a great place to buy those controllers. Don't listen to this dmoore guy...
http://www.holidaycoro.com/category-s/1837.htm

I beleive dmoore is the owner of holidaycoro.com

That is completely correct - I run HolidayCoro.com.

Any plans on shipping to Canada in the future?

Everytime I've quoted shipping to anywhere outside the US people pass on their order. I'd love to ship worldwide but nearly all our items are too large to be economical to ship.
Maybe later on in the season will call you on a small order and see what the price is for what I want.:P

One of the other issues has been handling the customs documentation. We just (today) switched over to a new order shipping system that looks like it will be able to handle automaticly printing these documents. So, there maybe hope in the near future. If so, we'll announce it on our mailing list.

Thanks,
David
HolidayCoro

Being originally from Canada I know the frustration of the the customs for products coming from the US. The worst is using UPS, they charge a $40 "Customs fee" for opening up your package. All packages that come from out of the country, via Post office, automatically go to Customs Canada, then they decide what gets charged and what passes. I have lucked out on some packages others not. It used to be at one time a practice to say gift on the package customs form. But that is hard to do with stuff like Dave sells, and also very illegal now.

Dave has also been a great help with any problems I have had, and hopefully one of these days when we have another California get together, we hope that we can have him come out and give a class, I am sure that would be the biggest classs.

SteveMaris wrote:

Hey Dave,
Are the candy cane pole toppers going to be available soon?
Thanks

Yes, the design is completed and tested and works great and the material is coming from the supplier tomorrow so that I can get some cutout this weekend. Then it's just a matter of making the assembly video and printed instructions. I'd look for them on the website before next weekend (18th).

Thanks,

David

dmoore wrote:

SteveMaris wrote:
Hey Dave,
Are the candy cane pole toppers going to be available soon?
Thanks

Yes, the design is completed and tested and works great and the material is coming from the supplier tomorrow so that I can get some cutout this weekend.  Then it's just a matter of making the assembly video and printed instructions.  I'd look for them on the website before next weekend (18th).

Thanks,

David

They have been posted to the website and should start into production this week. They are now listed on the website:

Individual (DIY) cap only:
http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/150.htm

Package with RGB parts:
http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/151.htm

We are working on an assembly video now.

What is the smallest diamater PVC I can use for the 8" Globe? What size is the base of the globe? Vice versa on the 6" aswell..
Thanks

hdracer wrote:

What is the smallest diamater PVC I can use for the 8" Globe? What size is the base of the globe? Vice versa on the 6" aswell..
Thanks

It is designed for 4" DWV. It's designed to only work with this globe:

http://www.superiorlighting.com/Plastic_Globe_Plain_Lip_Opening_p/02024wa-08wl.htm

The base of the globe is less than the ID of the 4" DWV pipe but just slightly, which makes it a perfect match. Also the 8" globe is a good proportional size match with the 4" pipe - I initally designed it with 6" but that was too small.

You may or may not find an exact match for a globe at the hardware store - these were so cheap I didn't bother with a locally purchased solution as I could not assure that they would be the same at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.

There are more technical details on the "Product Details" page at:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/151.htm

Thanks Dmoore! You will be hearing from me really soon! I have some measuring to figure out then I will place my order! Any discounts for larger orders of same product?

hdracer wrote:

Thanks Dmoore! You will be hearing from me really soon! I have some measuring to figure out then I will place my order! Any discounts for larger orders of same product?

If you have a "large" order, contact us from the links at the bottom of our website and we can discuss further. FYI - We are in the Houston area also.

Uh oh! Shouldve never mentioned being near Houston to me...
Um... fill me in! This just might get dangerous for my wife... I don't have a budget to live by.. Only a vision!

hdracer wrote:

Um... fill me in! This just might get dangerous for my wife... I don't have a budget to live by.. Only a vision!

In North Houston near the Woodlands. Are you attending the LSH Ultimate Academy in Conroe this year?

dmoore wrote:

hdracer wrote:

In North Houston near the Woodlands. Are you attending the LSH Ultimate Academy in Conroe this year?

Depending on timing & my availibilty away from work!

Any info?

Also I am about 45 minutes from the woodlands! I see trouble on the horizon!

hdracer wrote:

dmoore wrote:
hdracer wrote:

Depending on timing & my availibilty away from work!

Any info?

Also I am about 45 minutes from the woodlands! I see trouble on the horizon!

You don't want to miss it this year - it will take up the entire convention center. Huge number of classes on everything you can imagine. Free food, drinks, giveaways, vendors, etc.

http://www.theultimateacademy.com/

hdracer wrote:

If I am reading correctly on the site.. It falls the Sunday of Fathers day? June 17th??

It's actually the 15th through the 17th. Even if you only came for Saturday, you'd be getting a LOT of information and it would still be worth it. On Saturday you could expect it to last until in the evening hours.

Having done events like this - it really doesn't matter which day you pick, there will always be some holiday, conflicting event or personal reason why someone can't attend. So, I'd suggest, make THIS Sunday fathers day and then when June rolls around you can really have Your Day.