Light-O-Rama Forums

Good Songs

Ace

a good song is any song that you like...

A LOT!!!!

Since you will be hearing it a couple hundred times over the next year...

Don Gillespie wrote:

jstorms wrote:
Wizards of Winter
Amazing Grace (Party Version)

or jingle bells :P

Rockin Around the Christmas Tree:cool:

Ace,

As Jim said, the best song is one you like. You will listen to it over and over (and over) will programming it.

Here is a link to the Amazing Grace (Party Version) mentioned in this thread.

Guest Don Gillespie

Ace wrote:

With artists, please. Specific Versions of songs.

Welcome aboard Ace two things you can do first and formost scroll down the forum and look for sequences there are a lot to be offered, there is also a search bar that will help you get to where you want to go, secondly maybe you could tell us a little bit about yourself and and your christmas display.

RIGHT ON RIGHT ON RIGHT ON. :cool:

We love to get to know people. Where your from, what was it that got your addiction started, etc, etc, etc

My suggestion is to get onto Vimeo and youtube. Watch as many videos of light displays as you can. This will serve two purposes..
1. You will hear a song that cries out to you to sequence it. Make a list of the songs that you like. A lot of the videos list the song and artist at the beginning. A lot of the songs I do I would never have thought of sequencing until I heard and saw a video of it.
2. More importantly it will give you a lot of good ideas on how to sequence. It will help you learn to "see" your lights while you listen to a song.

jimswinder wrote:

a good song is any song that you like...

A LOT!!!!

Since you will be hearing it a couple hundred times over the next year...

Sure got that right!!I have done a lot of t.s.o but like Jim said you will need to like it a lot!!! I have found that slow beats to music are very hadr to do...keep it up beat,will be easir to do.. look on youtube at what others have done.

Although some users occasionally make fun of TSO songs, Wizards in Winter, in particular. I think they make a great place to start for the newbie. The songs are generally very upbeat, dramatic, and there are so many shared (free) sequences out there that the newbie doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. Out of the 20 songs I have in my show, I bet about 2/3 are based in part on somebody else's sequence. Sometimes it's as little as the beat track, or the arches, or some other aspect. In addition, I think the TSO songs, as well as Mannheim have great audience appeal.

A big second or third (?) for the techno songs out there. If done right they are very powerful in a display.

Even though I am going on my fourth year, I still scour the video sites for new stuff as well as ideas about revamping stuff I have already done.

Finally, I always run each song past the wife before I waste any time sequencing. She seems to have a great sense of what kind of tempo is going to work well in the show. If she says a song is too slow, it generally is.

Sorry - finger slipped. "Mr. Santa" by Amy Grant that's funny with a fantastic beat. You won't get tired of hearing it again and again. It's available on Amazon.