Light-O-Rama Forums

Newby Questions

Guest guest

Ok, after playing around with the Demo version for about a week, I finally purchased the full LOR software today. Now that I can actually control some lights, (I use X10) for now, I have some user questions. (Note: I realize X10 will not animate at any decent speed, but I use X10 throughout my house all year and it's a start). I'm looking at getting a LOR board in time for a 4th of July display. Anyway, I digress. here are my questions.

1) If I set up a sequence, and add it to a show. I scheduled it to run from 5:00 PM till 10:00 PM. At the time I was playing around with the setup, it was already 7:00 PM. I could not get the Show to start. Is this normal or can a show pick up in the middle? I tried rebooting, but it still didn't work.

2) I noticed an interesting item, If I have several events, I could not get the last event to loop. Is there a min/max time or event count for looping? Can you loop a single event if it is the last one?

3) I had assumed that the X10 control was simply ON/OFF. What I didn't realize is that for Lamp/Light Controllers, it is really a FADE UP 100%/ FADE DOWN 100%. It isn't instant on. Especially with the newer controllers.

4) At the end of a sequence, should the state of the controllers be latched in the last state, or will they default to off? I've gotten various responses depending on the controller and was wondering what the 'correct' software response should be. I tried playing around with a "Pause", but I did not get the results I was interested in.

5) Finally, this is probably a feature request for the next version, but I notice that several folks post their sequences and point to some MP3 download software for the audio. I noticed that if you don't have the exact file it could be out of sync. A great feature would be the ability to 'nudge' the audio or sequence to help sync it up. Maybe a visualization of the audio on top of the window with the ability to draw a connector line from the first note of the audio to the place in the sequence where it should match up.

Overall, I see lots of automation in my future. 4th of July, Halloween and christmas. I might even consider playing around with water fountains in the summer for my annual family Pool party!

batmanskier wrote:

1) If I set up a sequence, and add it to a show. I scheduled it to run from 5:00 PM till 10:00 PM. At the time I was playing around with the setup, it was already 7:00 PM. I could not get the Show to start. Is this normal or can a show pick up in the middle? I tried rebooting, but it still didn't work.

The show will start in the middle of the time, like at 7, but will start playing from the begginning. You also would have to enable shows.

batmanskier wrote:
2) I noticed an interesting item, If I have several events, I could not get the last event to loop. Is there a min/max time or event count for looping? Can you loop a single event if it is the last one?

You should be able to get any event to loop.

batmanskier wrote:
3) I had assumed that the X10 control was simply ON/OFF. What I didn't realize is that for Lamp/Light Controllers, it is really a FADE UP 100%/ FADE DOWN 100%. It isn't instant on. Especially with the newer controllers.

Well that depends. There are two types of X10 modules. Lamp and appliance modules. Lamp can dim, but appliance modules cannot. They (appliance) can control larger loads.

batmanskier wrote:
4) At the end of a sequence, should the state of the controllers be latched in the last state, or will they default to off? I've gotten various responses depending on the controller and was wondering what the 'correct' software response should be. I tried playing around with a "Pause", but I did not get the results I was interested in.

They defalut to off. In the show player they automatically go off.

batmanskier wrote:
5) Finally, this is probably a feature request for the next version, but I notice that several folks post their sequences and point to some MP3 download software for the audio. I noticed that if you don't have the exact file it could be out of sync. A great feature would be the ability to 'nudge' the audio or sequence to help sync it up. Maybe a visualization of the audio on top of the window with the ability to draw a connector line from the first note of the audio to the place in the sequence where it should match up.

Well since only midi files have "notes," you could see the VU waveform. You could tell the volume from that. Most people get audio editing software. I use Sound Forge.

Brad:

Thanks for all the info. As I said, I'm just starting to play around with it, but I figured I'd ask before wasting too much time.

As to the sound editing, I do use Steinberg's wave lab, but I was hoping for a more straight forward approach. Edit, Import, Test, Repeat could get tedious if you are trying to get the sequence exact.