Light-O-Rama Forums

Santa and I Know It! - Clean Edit Version video

Guest guest

Guest wbottomley

GoofyGuy wrote:

Im not certain this was done in a manner to stop us from fixing mistakes, but to back track posts that hateful and uncalled for.   This to me is a good move on his part if hes trying to stop the games that a few, not majority of members are playing.

There's no need for me to edit my post. I say what I think the first time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• shfr26

• Greg Young

• WilliamS

wbottomley wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

Im not certain this was done in a manner to stop us from fixing mistakes, but to back track posts that hateful and uncalled for. This to me is a good move on his part if hes trying to stop the games that a few, not majority of members are playing.

There's no need for me to edit my post. I say what I think the first time.

Only reason I edit mine is because I have a mild form of dyslexia and sometimes gets letters reversed in words. I also am legally blind in one eye and that doesn't help either.

So I try to proof-read it over several times, but sometimes I still don't catch it until after it got submitted. Sometimes it's because I left out a word or forgot a punctuation or I realized the statment isn't coherrent enough and needs to be slightly changed.

So some of us use that edit button for those reasons.

Im new to these forum adn absolutely love the help and advice we get here. With that said, I joined this forum for that reason to learn about computerizing my Christmas lights. I think debates about whether a certain type of music is degrading or not, and if it should be used in a display should be kept in a PM discussion. Lets do what joined to do. Learn Learn Learn not to mention have fun.

Just my opinion.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

Tried to watch it but it was password protected....

Read the very first post that starts this topic. The password is included in that posting on how to view the video.

I have several password protected videos on the site for different things, so don't recall the password offhand, but I do know it is in the very first post of this thread!

Should read something like: "The password to access/view this video is: {password}"

Just copy and past the password from the first post into the video to watch it.

Guest Don Gillespie

pikadroo wrote:

Orville wrote:
George I chop them off because most often the display is dark for too long, that's why I cut the silence at the beginning and end of the music. Because once the display goes dark, folks think "shows over" and drive off before the next song would start.

It seems to me that if LOR should be able to support a feature where songs blend together. iTunes used to do it and I dunno if it does anymore, but like X number of seconds of overlap in a sequences should be possible. I think it would create a more professional look to a show.

I wish it was a feature I also hate the dark time and am considering either hacking off empty or slow starts and finishes to songs or I might mix all the songs into one big mp3 and then sequence that effectively making the whole show one sequence.

Drew
Drew I did that with my medley people loved it no down time 17 and half minutes of people dancing and singing I used audacity to create the medley but I also like your idea

It was just a fun song to practice sequencing on.

I *had* planned on using it, as stated, wife has final say as to what she'll allow me to use during the "prime time" display hours.

However, if I want to run it as a "late late night private showing", she says she'll allow that. Just can't have it during regular showtime hours.

But it was an easy and fun song to work on my sequencing techniques, even if I can't use it.

pikadroo wrote:

I also hate the dark time...

I'm still trying to understand the issue you guys have with some "dark time" between songs. How long of a lag are you seeing in your shows?

I intentionally add three seconds between songs in the Show Editor, and including the sequence load time the first time through a show that translates into a total of about 5 seconds of silence. (After the show loops that drops to the three seconds I added.)

What am I missing here?

George Simmons wrote:

pikadroo wrote:
I also hate the dark time...

I'm still trying to understand the issue you guys have with some "dark time" between songs. How long of a lag are you seeing in your shows?

I intentionally add three seconds between songs in the Show Editor, and including the sequence load time the first time through a show that translates into a total of about 5 seconds of silence. (After the show loops that drops to the three seconds I added.)

What am I missing here?

Well I use the DC-MP3 Showtime Director and if I leave the silent parts in front and at the end of the song, my display goes dark for usually longer than that duration, tried cutting the silent parts off by half originally, didn't seem to make much of a difference, tried cutting them down to just about 1/4 of the original, still had the same issue with long dark times between sequences.

Others using a computer to control the show may not have that issue, once I removed the entire silent parts from both ends of the song in the sequence I had a very short dark time before the next sequence/song started.

So you may not be seeing the same results/issues that I am George. Just may be something inherrant to the DC-MP3 Showtime Director operating off an SD card.

Just know by removing the silent parts from both ends resolved my long dark issue between sequences/songs.

If that helps to explain it any.

That might explain it. I run my shows from the PC and have no experience whatsoever with the DC-MP3. But tell me - how long IS the lag time you were seeing? I've got a client talking about getting that and it's something he might want to know about?

Darn edit nonsense...

The question mark at the end of my post should have been a period.

I hope my 4th grade English teacher isn't spinning in her grave thinking that was intentional...

Although, having said that, there's other reasons she SHOULD be spinning that I don't feel bad about at all... What a witch...

I understand completely why people might use the MP3 director(s), but for me, I can't see giving up that kind of control over the show. Being able to make changes instantly to account for traffic conditions, inserting weather announcements if the GFCI's start going south on wet nights, or changing shows around, adding new or revised sequences on the fly, things like that... yes, you've got to pay a bit more attention to what is going on so you don't screw things up, but I don't have much else to do that time of year anyway.

In 2008 and 2009 lag time was a BIG issue for me, even with a PC. But in 2010, I replaced that pc and - wow- that made a HUGE difference. And now with S3 using compressed sequences, the load time is almost zero, hence the need to insert time between sequences so people can at least catch their breath or reach for their car door handle to visit the candy cane mailbox and/or donation box.

George Simmons wrote:

Darn edit nonsense...

I hope my 4th grade English teacher isn't spinning in her grave thinking that was intentional...

George it seems to depend on the song and how long the original sequence is. I actually had to copy and paste from the original sequence with the long gaps to a newly created sequence with the edited MP3 files. It was a big pain in the a$$ too.

But the longest lag time I had was almost a full 2 minutes and a half of black out, the shortest time I encountered prior to editing was close to, but not quite a minute in length. Just too long for my liking.

So if anyone is considering using the Director units, this may pose an issue between sequences. And editing the silent parts from both beginning and end of the song will help. The longest black out between sequences after I did these edits was usually not more than 3-5 seconds, in some cases where the song faded out, it may have been up to about 6-8 seconds of black out time.

So yes, your client may want to take this into careful consideration.

pikadroo wrote:

I use the a PC too and even setting to a 0 second delay between songs An ending Wizards of Winter and beginning Deck the Halls by Mannheim doesn't so much create dead time, I think it's better explained as about 15 to 20 possible seconds of low very subtle activity in the lights as it almost appear the show it over.

So, if you could tell a show to put a -10 second delay between sequences, they could overlap and even tho the lights might behave strange in the transition there would be no clear end and continuous light.

I think some people do kinda have a short attention span and do leave thinking there is nothing more. I can't speak to how many, but I know I don't like the activity drop. I have also considered making more static elements to kinda bridge the gap.

Drew

That's what I ended up doing Drew, adding in a few LED strands that had their own controller on them that cycled through their own effects and they were plugged directly into an outlet on a timer, and then I had some other incandescent stars and snowflakes (20 total of each) that each strand of 10 also had their own controller built in that was all mounted to around the front door of the house and plugged into an extension socket in the porch lights, so everything came on with the green porch lights I had installed during the Christmas Season.

Only problem with that was I had to turn them on when I knew I wouldn't be back in time otherwise when the MP3 Director started the animated part of the display (house eves, bushes, trees, ground lights and blowmolds), those all would have been dark.

Working on an entire new set up for this year. May try using an older PC I have to run the show in 2012 and see if that helps, depends on how I and the room I'll have to set up at the new homestead.

Orville wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Darn edit nonsense...

George it seems to depend on the song and how long the original sequence is.   I actually had to copy and paste from the original sequence with the long gaps to a newly created sequence with the edited MP3 files.   It was a big pain in the a$$ too.

But the longest lag time I had was almost a full 2 minutes and a half of black out, the shortest time I encountered prior to editing was close to, but not quite a minute in length.  Just too long for my liking.

So if anyone is considering using the Director units, this may pose an issue between sequences.  And editing the silent parts from both beginning and end of the song will help.   The longest black out between sequences after I did these edits was usually not more than 3-5 seconds, in some cases where the song faded out, it may have been up to about 6-8 seconds of black out time.

Hey Clay,
I've been using the mp3 Director Card for years with absolutely NO lag time. I don't know what you're doing different, but I doubt it's the mp3 card.
Are you using the simple show builder?

rstately wrote:

Orville wrote:
George Simmons wrote:
Darn edit nonsense...

George it seems to depend on the song and how long the original sequence is. I actually had to copy and paste from the original sequence with the long gaps to a newly created sequence with the edited MP3 files. It was a big pain in the a$$ too.

But the longest lag time I had was almost a full 2 minutes and a half of black out, the shortest time I encountered prior to editing was close to, but not quite a minute in length. Just too long for my liking.

So if anyone is considering using the Director units, this may pose an issue between sequences. And editing the silent parts from both beginning and end of the song will help. The longest black out between sequences after I did these edits was usually not more than 3-5 seconds, in some cases where the song faded out, it may have been up to about 6-8 seconds of black out time.

Hey Clay,
I've been using the mp3 Director Card for years with absolutely NO lag time. I don't know what you're doing different, but I doubt it's the mp3 card.
Are you using the simple show builder?

Likewise here. Using the mini-director for 3 years, and no lag time. I suspect operator error somehow.