Light-O-Rama Forums

Santa and I Know It! - Clean Edit Version video

Guest guest

Just uploaded the Santa and I Know It! clean edit song videoed in the LOR Animation window from the S3 Sequence Editor.

This is still a work in progress and is still being tweaked/adjusted, just thought I'd share a sneak peek of my 2012 plans for this particular song and possibly get some feedback as to any improvements/changes I may need to make, like said, still a work in progress.

Here's the video, but since it's Private you need to type in this password exactly as show or copy and paste it into the password window. The password to view the video is: Santa2012

http://vimeo.com/34601081

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• shfr26

• Greg Young

• WilliamS

otisriggs wrote:

Sorry to be critical but I think its an awful song for Christmas, but I can't stand that kind of music any time of the year.

+10000000000001

otisriggs wrote:

Sorry to be critical but I think its an awful song for Christmas, but I can't stand that kind of music any time of the year.

No offense taken, some folks just don't like certain types of music, I can understand that, there are some types of music in this same genre I would never use and don't like myself, but sometimes you find something that's kind of cute or funny and you use it.

I'd also wager you don't like any LMFAO songs at all then? Since this is a parody of thier song, music slightly changed, of "Sexy and I Know It!"

It's not and will not be my main piece, just another song to add in to the mix, mostly for the folks that enjoy dance style music, which is what I consider this song to be.

Not that it matters, it's personal preference as to what one puts in thier display, and I know a lot of folks are going to be using this one per the requests I have gotten for it. I wouldn't use the full version of the song, just not clean enough for me, it's one of the reasons I don't like many rap type songs, but may like it in some circumstances.

However, there are songs I've heard in other displays I'd never use because too me they DRAG, just too slow, that's usually when I'll drive off when watching a display myself.

But, to each his own, if you like it you use it, if you don't you won't. If someone uses it, and you happnen to visit their display, well, you can just drive off when that song starts. It's what I do if I don't care for a specific song for whatever reason I have for not liking it.

Not everyone has the same taste in music, if we did, this would be a dull place!

To each his own.

You mentioned in earlier threads that you chop off every bit of time that you can from the beginning and the end of songs so people are less likely to drive off in between them. (I had to laugh when I read that because many, if not most of us have just the opposite problem) Could be that there's a connection floating around here just waiting to be discovered...

Clearly you're playing to a different audience than I am - that song would clear my street in no time.

George I chop them off because most often the display is dark for too long, that's why I cut the silence at the beginning and end of the music. Because once the display goes dark, folks think "shows over" and drive off before the next song would start. Using an DC-MP3 Showtime Director this was the only way I could not have that big lag between sequences. It's the only workaround I found that works in my case.

Personally I see nothing bad about this version of the song, it's a parody, a humorus take off on LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It!". Now if you heard the full version of this particular song, which I would never use, I could agree, it wouldn't only be a street clearing event, but possibly something worse.

So I'm also guessing by your reply that if you used an LMFAO song or any type Christmas song with this same type or similar beat, tempo or rap style vocalizations, or possibly any other type of Christmas Parody song your street would clear from those as well?

Or am I missing something here?

Orville wrote:

George I chop them off because most often the display is dark for too long, that's why I cut the silence at the beginning and end of the music.  Because once the display goes dark, folks think "shows over" and drive off before the next song would start.   YMMV.  I intentionally use the show editor to put four seconds of silence between sequences and the street stays full.
So I'm also guessing by your reply that if you used an LMFAO song or any type Christmas song with this same type or similar beat, tempo or rap style vocalizations, or possibly any other type of Christmas Parody song your street would clear from those as well?  You don't have to guess, I'll spell it out.  Here in rural Minnesota, rap music would drive people away faster than any four seconds of silence ever would.  People around here associate rap music with gangstas, criminals and low-life scum.  Our police patrols already deal with as much of that slop-over from the Twin Cities Metro area as it is.  Like I said, if that's the audience you want, go for it.  The name Pink Flopyd is a tribute to musicians who inspired those band members in their early years.  How would you like to explain to an eight-year-old (or her 60 year-old grandma) what LMFAO stands for?  If you think parodies and gutter-scum rap are the same thing, then you need to get out more.  Bob Rivers doing Little Town of Bethlehem to the music of House of the Rising Sun is quite different than a song you have to chop down to 30 seconds to get it clean enough to play.  

Or am I missing something here? Yes you are - more than you can possibly imagine...

Well, I don't like rap music, was prepared to hate it. But on watching it, have to say the song is not bad. I cater to 8 year olds and 80 year olds. I felt the need to clip the word "darn" out of Cartmans O Holy Night (see, I can't even spell the word out), and felt "I Farted On Santa's Lap" was just too racy, so I am easily offended.
It is not in my style, but I did not find it offensive. And I bet my teenagers would like it. I'll play it for them when they get home from school and get their feedback.

Not all rap music is "gangsta" or "crime related", that is just being "STEREOTYPICAL", I have heard GOSPEL MUSIC IN THE RAP GENRE, so I guess they must also be catering to that mentallity? I would not think so.

You're in Minnesota, I'm in Florida, definitely two different areas and themes, that is for sure.

And I didn't have to cut it down to 30 seconds, don't know where that comes from. The original uncut version was around 2:06 long, the "censored" or "cleaned up" version is 1:55. How you get that's cut down to 30 seconds I have no clue.

I have never cut a song down to 30 seconds, most are anywhere from 1:30 up to some that I use are 4-5 minutes in length. Songs that I have that are 1 minute or less are old MIDI files that I converted to MP3 form and they kept their original time.

Those are the only songs, instrumentals at that, that I have that may be 30 seconds used for voice overs or fillers.

In my current neighborhood are more teens than younger children and they love the song, so do my neighbors, like me, they just view it as a Christmas Comedy song, nothing more and nothing less. Guess all these teens in my neighborhood by your way of thinking must be future gangsta's or criminals.

And for the record, I'm really NOT at all fond of rap music either, I just thought this song was cute and would be a different addition to my show after it was cleaned up.

Sometimes you just have to let those steretypes go, they don't apply to everyone.

But if that's the way all Minnesotans view it as all being negative, no matter the theme, remind not to move to Minnesota!

EDIT: Goofed, put in the wrong city.

amcdonald307 wrote:

Well, I don't like rap music, was prepared to hate it. But on watching it, have to say the song is not bad. I cater to 8 year olds and 80 year olds. I felt the need to clip the word "darn" out of Cartmans O Holy Night (see, I can't even spell the word out), and felt "I Farted On Santa's Lap" was just too racy, so I am easily offended.
It is not in my style, but I did not find it offensive. And I bet my teenagers would like it. I'll play it for them when they get home from school and get their feedback.

I'm truly not fond of rap music myself. I just thought after I cleaned this particular song up, it would be a cute addition to my show.

My neighborhood is mostly elderly and young teens, with a few small children scattered about. The neighbors I've asked to listen to it and the teens all have loved it, thought it was nothing more than a comdey Christmas song.

You'll have to let me know what your teens think of it.

Orville wrote:

Not all rap music is "gangsta" or "crime related"

That may well be the case. But I challenge you to point me to ANY other genre of music, ever, that glorifies rape, cop-killing, arson, robbery, looting, and the total denigration of women to the degree that rap does. (And I challenge you to do it in the spirit of debate without playing either the bully card or the negativity card, thinking that one of the admins will see it and come charging to your rescue.)

I'll have to do some research on that one George, but I do agree that when rap was FIRST introduced and became a genre, that WAS, emphasis on WAS the case.

I just don't see or hear that from the most recent songs on a station I listen too that plays some rap genre today.

Things, music and artists change. When I was coming up Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult, some of my favorite music was seen as the devil's work and noone should listen to it because it created unruly children/teens and such. Churches blamed that music for corrupting youth and kids running away from home.

So in that same vein, rap today has just replaced the rock n roll that was supposedly bad for us. And I'll admit that's why I don't like a lot of rap, but therein is the problem, because not all rappers use the foul language and the negativity we hear in not just rap, but a lot of music today, and those are the songs I absolutely abhor and would agree with you on. But there are some really decent rap songs out there too that don't portray all the negative connotations.

Like anything, you have to search for the good among the bad.

Just sayin'.

Read this George (and anyone else that believes RAP is the only violent music, IT ISN'T! You're about to get a rude awakening here folks):

http://www.africaresource.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=277%3Awhite-culture-sexism-racism-and-violence&catid=136%3Arace&Itemid=351&limitstart=1

Seems RAP is not the only genre that promotes nasty stuff!

And I'm still searching....

Hmmm...this almost leads me to see if I can find the ignore button for an entire thread...:shock:

Not sure that link really proves anything...it just blames "society" for the music. Ho hum...

Maybe this is a better debate carried on via PM...?

No George said that there was NO OTHER MUSIC that portrayed the violence and other connotations that rap does, that link proves that rap IS NOT the only music with lyrics like killing cops and derogatory to women.

As in the song: "I SHOT THE SHERIFF" is classified under ROCK, not rap. Among others that ARE LISTED in that link.

From that link alone, it does verify that many rock songs and artists sing about the same identical thing, but that's accepted as okay, when rap gets the bad publicity, yet their are rock groups singing pretty much the same thing.

Far as I'm concerned, there is BAD LYRICS in ALL GENRES of music and that's what that link verifies.

And as far as I'm conerned, after finding and reading that information, the debate is over on my side of it.

Orville wrote:

George said that there was NO OTHER MUSIC that portrayed...

Actually what I said was "glorified", and I think there's quite a bit of difference between "portraying" something from an artful social commentary perspective and glorifying something and exhorting others to follow. And if you remember back that far, I Shot The Sheriff caused quite a stir when it came out. Today those same lyrics would be wussy by comparison.

But I agree - the subject has reached the point of boring and since Orville has summarily closed his mind from any further input, there's no point in staying involved.

I hereby appoint Don as my stand-in for any further commentary. PM him - at least he'll answer...

Orville wrote:

No George said that there was NO OTHER MUSIC that portrayed the violence and other connotations that rap does, that link proves that rap IS NOT the only music with lyrics like killing cops and derogatory to women.

As in the song: "I SHOT THE SHERIFF" is classified under ROCK, not rap. Among others that ARE LISTED in that link.

From that link alone, it does verify that many rock songs and artists sing about the same identical thing, but that's accepted as okay, when rap gets the bad publicity, yet their are rock groups singing pretty much the same thing.

Far as I'm concerned, there is BAD LYRICS in ALL GENRES of music and that's what that link verifies.

And as far as I'm conerned, after finding and reading that information, the debate is over on my side of it.

George said "...to the degree that rap does..."..

But even better...the debate is over.

Thank God.

George Simmons wrote:

I hereby appoint Don as my stand-in for any further commentary. PM him - at least he'll answer...

Yea, but till will cost you a string of C6 LEDs per response...:cool: