Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tjschroeder17

Never Use a Memory Stick to Transfer Sequences Again!

Don,

Are you sure about your above comments about dropbox? You say that if you import say pictures from your camera into your laptop while on vacation. And you exported those pictures from your laptop to drop box before returning home. And say you lost your laptop and drop box goes belly up. Then a few days later you go to your computer work station with the desktop computer. You will find your picture files on the desktop? From what I was reading above. You have a folder on say your "pictures" folder. Clicking on that folder takes you to your pictures folder on drop box. Its seamless, yet it is more like a redirect to a remote site.

At least that is the gist of what I thought those before your comment where saying. Frankly I am with the majority and will not allow others to make copies of my files. Lets say the photo I took of the columns at Mizzu quad. And decide to sell them. Well someone at drop box might be surfing my stuff and get the same idea. And I could not do a legal thing to stop them.. Heave forbid you have something sensitive in there.

• Like 1

Max-Paul wrote:

Don,

Are you sure about your above comments about dropbox?

Yes, I'm sure.

Don wrote:

Torqumada286 wrote:
I have Dropbox. Is there a way to designate where your sequence files go in the LOR software? I didn't see it as an option.

Torqumada

A longer version of this answer is here: http://syncxmas.com/zLrA9D

Close all of your running LOR programs. Using Windows Explorer, open up the directory that contains your LOR program files.  This is typically, but not always, C:Program FilesLight-O-Rama. In that directory, there should be a file called LORPost.exe (it might show up as just "LORPost", depending upon how you have Windows set up).  Run that file.

It will step you through a few dialogs.  In one of them, it will ask you where you want LOR to store data files.

Thanks that worked.

Torqumada

I use dropbox for my email folders and my Documents folder, I personally use Thunderbird or you can use Outlook and move your .pst folder for outlook or your Thunderbird profiles folder to the dropbox "local" directory and since I have 3 computers and my Android phone when I answer emails I don't need to BCC myself and if I create a word doc here at home and save it. when I go to work and power up my computer...there it is

and on my Android phone when I take a picture or shoot a video it is automatically uploaded to dropbox, a very nice convenience.

and if you set up your phone to send pictures via dropbox you get a free 500Meg upgrade...don't know how long that will last

and if your interested in getting dropbox, click this link

http://db.tt/ENfNvIcj

and you will get added storage..... and so will I :)

I use dropbox for my email folders and my Documents folder, I personally use Thunderbird or you can use Outlook and move your .pst folder for outlook or your Thunderbird profiles folder to the dropbox "local" directory and since I have 3 computers and my Android phone when I answer emails I don't need to BCC myself and if I create a word doc here at home and save it. when I go to work and power up my computer...there it is

and on my Android phone when I take a picture or shoot a video it is automatically uploaded to dropbox, a very nice convenience.

and if you set up your phone to send pictures via dropbox you get a free 500Meg upgrade...don't know how long that will last

and if your interested in getting dropbox, click this link

http://db.tt/ENfNvIcj

and you will get added storage..... and so will I :)

I never tried dropbox, but figured I would try it , so I signed up with your link.

enjoy the extra space!

Don't use memory sticks, but SD cards to transfer my files between computers or an inhouse wireless network link to get them on the laptop that I use to troubleshoot when necessary.

As for online storage, I use Skydrive to also keep copies of all my stuff (sequences, their MP3 files), also where I share my sequences with others here, and the price is right, absolutely free as long as you have an Hotmail or Windows Live Mail account.

I am curious as to why you don't use memory sticks/jump drives, and use SD cards instead? Have you had issues with data storage on them, or is it just a personal preference issue?

Greg