Light-O-Rama Forums

G3 Controllers

Chris B

Maybe a dumb question but....I have been slowly purchasing the new G3 controllers over the course of december and have just ordered my 6th controller. This is all for a plan to create a show next december with a final tally of 8 controllers. I am doing things a bit differently than most here and centralizing all of my controllers in a large enclosure that will reside in my garage. It is currently unfinished and by no means ready for any kind of testing. I keep reading about all of these G3 controllers having issues with bad triacs and such and am wondering how/if this will be handled basically a year from now when the controllers are put into use? Is there any update to what is causing this, has it been resolved in the later made boards? Thanks all!

Chris

• 3 months later...

I did not have an issue with my new pc controller last year. Right now as it stands I need 12 more for this years shows. I missed the sale so maybe I can find a few here and there at the right price.

Jeff

So far, all my triac failures (5) are from 2010 CTB16PC-V2 cards.

I think some batches of semiconductors are better than others. My failure rate is only annoying, and not impacting the show.

wbottomley wrote:

I think it boils down to a lot of operator error. Not all... but some. Their could be some bad triacs out there... but LOR has not acknowledge it so far.

I had one bad right out of the box. LOR was excellent with the warranty repair. They sent me a new one and emailed me a prepaid return label.

These forums are full of post from satisfied LOR customers.

Chris B wrote:
Maybe a dumb question but....I have been slowly purchasing the new G3 controllers over the course of december and  have just ordered my 6th controller. This is all for a plan to create a show next december with a final tally of 8 controllers. I am doing things a bit differently than most here and centralizing all of my controllers in a large enclosure that will reside in my garage. It is currently unfinished and by no means ready for any kind of testing. I keep reading about all of these G3 controllers having issues with bad triacs and such and am wondering how/if this will be handled basically a year from now when the controllers are put into use? Is there any update to what is causing this, has it been resolved in the later made boards? Thanks all!

Chris

Why not test them now? I tested mine on the family room floor.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got three dropped off at my office today and I will be testing them this weekend.

Jeff

Just finished putting them together. That was the first time I bought them like this. Wiring them up for the first time was not hard at all. Sure wish I had my dongle here to test them..... LOL

All three have been put together and tested. No issues found on the G3. Just finished running 4 new 30 amp breakers in the yard. Going to be a great year!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mix of G2 and G3 controllers and all of my G3 have been fine so far. By experience I have learned to test my units when I get them. Over the years I did have one unit that was bad and I did not test it when I got it. When I put all of my units out I realized that I had a bad unit and I was down to crunch time.

LOR was great about replacing it. It just was not a good time to find out I had a bad unit.:P