• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scubado

• johnm160

• Ken Benedict

• Donny M. Carter

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone else is pursuing this idea. I am currently planning to build one with RGB ribbon. There are two sizes of hoops that I found so far 27" and 32". The 27" hoops will make a 10' tree and 90 meters of RGB rounded up. The 32" hoop will make a 12' tree and needs 105 meters RGB. You can go even bigger using 1/2" grey PVC, 38" hoop, 14' tall and 125 meters RGB.

I got the Mega ball tree set up in the visualizer and started sequencing this week. OMG if the real thing is anywhere near as cool as it looks with the visualizer, it's going to be awesome. I tried the auto sequencer on it and it was totally cool, but not usable in raw form but gave me more ideas for sequencing. I also need to learn the Superstar software to see what it can do with this. I'm currently working on my short version of Amazing Grace techno song. I'll post it when I'm done.

Yes, I am pursuing an RGB version also, but making it out of metal.

Instead of 10 balls, IO'm planning for 16 of a size that would use exactly 1 meter of dumb RGB strips. That way I could cut and splice easily.

Guest wbottomley

Ken Benedict wrote:

Instead of 10 balls, IO'm planning for 16 of a size that would use exactly 1 meter of dumb RGB strips. That way I could cut and splice easily.

Sounds like your tree will have a huge set of balls.

Ken Benedict wrote:

Why not use the 27" hoops instead? They would use 1 meter on each piece. Did you mean 15 balls instead of 16? If 16 is correct, how is it laid out?

I'll bet you could use a roll of 3/4 inch underground sprinkler tubing. It's like $15 for a 100' roll and it it could easily flex from a 20" diameter to a 40" daiameter an still be very stable and rigid. you could also use 1/2 inch drip system tubing. but it probably would not be self supporting with anything larger than a 30" diameter ball.

Ken Benedict wrote:

Thats a lot of balls! Splicing anything in the same paragraph with the word balls should be banned.

I forgot about those. I have enough on my plate to deal with this year. Maybe I'll add additional balls through out the display next year.

m00987 wrote:

I'll bet you could use a roll of 3/4 inch underground sprinkler tubing.  It's like $15 for a 100' roll and it it could easily flex from a 20" diameter to a 40" daiameter an still be very stable and rigid.  you could also use 1/2 inch drip system tubing. but it probably would not be self supporting with anything larger than a 30" diameter ball.

Nice idea, I'll have to look into that. Thanks. The thing I like about the hoops is that they are preformed, I thought about grey PVC too, but wasn't sure about making that tight a bend.

No, the 15 hula balls would be in a 5-4-3-2-1 stacked pattern. Each hula ball would be 1 meter long and seven of the semi-circles would take about 4 amps each.

Even though the sprinkler tube might work, I'm planning to roll some 5/8 square tubing into a 28 inch diameter semi-circle. The main framework would be using Kee Klamps and easily go 12 feet up.

Yes, I'll have to be careful when splicing things.

Eh, William?

• 4 weeks later...

I finished getting all the hoops I needed today, 40 needed plus two spares. So far the only place to find a large quantity of hoops is Menards. Yesterday I bought out what one store had, and got the rest at another store. If you plan to do this project with hoops, GET THEM NOW! The stores have them in stock. The store I was at Yesterday had new hoops that were too big and $4 each. The hoops I got were the 32" for $2 and a 11% rebate.