Light-O-Rama Forums

Tell me that I am crazy

eurbani

Thanks Don. I read the article and I think that my rough ideas generally follow your recommendations.

For anyone following this thread in the future, the direct link to Don's article can be found here.

http://planetchristmas.com/Magazine/November2009/pdf/PC-MagazineNovember2009-Final.pdf

Tom,

Thanks for hosting a stranger to your home to see some stuff in action.

What a great community here!

So, I purchased the advanced software, USB adapter and 2 controller boxes.

I had played with the software a little previously. It isn't very intuitive, but the learning curve doesn't seem too hard to pass.

The controllers came in yesterday. I spent about an hour each attaching the cords. I played with the one for about another hour.

This morning, I was determined to do a full sequence on a song. I did 8 channels.

This year, I have blue incandescent icicle lights which I am retiring. Next year, I plan to have 4 sets of icicle lights (blue LED, cool white LED lights with plastic icicles, warm chasing LED icicle lights and multi-colored incandescent icicle lights).

So, I set up those 4 as channels. (Mainly because I wanted to test the LED lights for their reactions to dimming.) I currently have candles lights with flame bulbs in all of my windows. So, I grabbed 4 of those for the other 4 channels.

It took me about 2 hours this morning to get a pretty decent result. Here it is...

If it takes me, 2 hours for 8 channels on a first attempt, I think that I should be able to do 160 channels in 40 hours, worst case. I suspect that I will learn some tricks and speed up.

I'm not deterred from my 10 controller plan. I welcome your comments.

Yes, you will get quicker with more practice. I still say go for it!

You might want to change out those flicker bulbs if you're going to use the candles for props. I'm not sure how they might react to dimming or shimmering.

Thanks for the encouragement, George. I love my flicker bulbs! Right now, I'm mainly using them on and off. If you look at the video that I posted, I did a twinkle at 2:10 and it looks great (IMHO).

I like those flicker bulbs also - we do our entire indoor tree with them and it's really cool.

Twinkle won't do them any harm because that's basically a random on and off. It's the fading and shimmering where I'd be worried about shortening their life span.

• 2 months later...

eurbani wrote:

I suspect that I will learn some tricks and speed up.

I'm not deterred from my 10 controller plan. I welcome your comments.

You said it right there. I started with 32. At first, I was sitting in front of the computer saying "CRAP! what do I do now?" After 2 songs were sequenced with help from the fine folks here, I wished I had more controllers! Every time you sit down to sequence, find just one more control button, read what it does in the help section, play with it, and you will soon find yourself going back over your current sequences and editing them. I'm still learning and challenging myself, and getting in contact with folks who know this stuff. NEVER QUIT!

Mark

T110431 wrote:

Your Crazy

why did you want me to tell you that

I didn't want you to mention my crazy. I wanted you to tell me that I am crazy. :)

I hope that snotty comment doesn't make me #11

james campbell wrote:

looks good.I like the Bunny trail

I'm glad that someone picked up on that. :)

eurbani wrote:

T110431 wrote:
Your Crazy

why did you want me to tell you that

I didn't want you to mention my crazy. I wanted you to tell me that I am crazy. :)

I hope that snotty comment doesn't make me #11

:Dno of course not