Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting Rope Lights / Faces / Wiring

l0chte

So I want to make a face for next years display. I know we are kind of just jumping on the train and following suit but we live in Ohio and like one of the viewers said this year, "We just don't see this stuff on Howick Road." I think the an animated character will really bring some joy. So the questions are as follows. (I'm a visual person and like lists)

During the sales I bought a decent amount of incandescent RED rope light. Will red look ok for Halloween? This way I might still be able to use for Christmas..

Are there any tutorials on cutting rope light. I found the markings people are talking about but I don't want to cut it without knowing what to do next. (Shrink Tube, Wiring)

While were at it, we didn't have to buy or make any extension cords this year. I don't have much experience with wiring, so how does all this shrink tube and hot glue and wiring and vampire plugs work?

Guest Don Gillespie

l0chte wrote:

So I want to make a face for next years display. I know we are kind of just jumping on the train and following suit but we live in Ohio and like one of the viewers said this year, "We just don't see this stuff on Howick Road." I think the an animated character will really bring some joy. So the questions are as follows. (I'm a visual person and like lists)

During the sales I bought a decent amount of incandescent RED rope light. Will red look ok for Halloween? This way I might still be able to use for Christmas..

Are there any tutorials on cutting rope light. I found the markings people are talking about but I don't want to cut it without knowing what to do next. (Shrink Tube, Wiring)

While were at it, we didn't have to buy or make any extension cords this year. I don't have much experience with wiring, so how does all this shrink tube and hot glue and wiring and vampire plugs work?

I can not offer any advice on this but I do want to watch this thread. ;)

You can find info on cutting rope through searches but it is very general at best. Probably because no one wants to take the responsiblity for cutting the stuff.
I have cut rope light that I use and have some tricks that I use for it.

To cut the ropelight, just take a razor knife and slice straight down through the rope light at the spot where it is marked to cut. Sometimes you may have to rock the knife back and forth a little to get it to go through but not much. You want to make a nice flat and clean cut.
You will see where the wires run inside the ropelight when you look at the end of your cut.

I find that a 4 penny (4D) finish nail works for a pin to stick into the rope light to make contact with the wires inside it. If you have a hardware store close you can see if they have any 1 x 17 wire brads as they are actually a better size for this although the 4D finish nail will work okay. Or if you use a smaller diameter nail that is about 3/4 to 1 inch long that works too. Take a pair of side cutters and clip off the head of the nail.
I use spt 1 cord for extension cords so I use it for my leads for the rope light.
I strip back about 1/2" of insulation off the spt 1 and then wrap the stripped wire around the clipped end of the nail nice and tight. Then take a soldering iron and solder the nail to the wire. Slip a piece of heat shrink over the connection and leave at least 1/2" of the nail exposed. Using a pair of needle nose pliers you can grab the nail and push it into the rope light where the wires are to make contact. I put a piece of heat shrink that is big enough to go over the rope light on before I push the nails into the light, then I put a a small gob of silicone caulk on the connection where the nails go into the rope light and slide the heat shrink over it and shrink it down. You may get some silicone that will squeeze back out of the heat shrink but that can be wiped off.
After the heat shrink cools and the silicone has set up for a day, you should have a connection that will last for years without any trouble.

Of course you can always use a stock end connector kit for the rope light if you don't want to solder and heat shrink things. I like making my own connections as they are smaller and more compact than the end kits as well as I can use any length of spt 1 that I need for the lead on the rope light as well.

That should be pretty clear on things but if not say so and I can take some pictures while making a connection to show it better if need be.
Bill

As far as making extension cords, you just get a roll of spt 1, spt 2 or whatever you want to use and get the vampire plugs that go with that particular size of spt cord and put the plugs or sockets on the cord and slide a cover on to make them. Very simple and straight forward to do.
It is really nice to make your own cords as you get whatever lenghts you need without a lot of waste and it is very cheap to do. Especially if you get the cord and vampire plugs on one of the pre sales that are going on now.
I went through 3000 feet of spt 1 my second year without even trying - LOL. But now I have all the custom cords that I need for my display all set. I just make a few new ones each year for things that I add on or if I change the location of something and need a new cord.

If you use silicone, check that what you have does not smell like vinegar when it sets up. Many clear silicone RTV, and others emit acetic acid as part of the cure process. This could cause the various metalic electrical components to corrode. White is more often safe.

I actually use hot glue inside the heat shrink as my sealant.

-klb- wrote:

If you use silicone, check that what you have does not smell like vinegar when it sets up.  Many clear silicone RTV, and others emit acetic acid as part of the cure process.  This could cause the various metalic electrical components to corrode.  White is more often safe. 

I actually use hot glue inside the heat shrink as my sealant. 

Good point, Thanks for the catch on that one.
Exactly right. The hot glue is actually quicker and works just fine as well.

So here are some photos for the rope light connection.

This is after cutting it. This rope light has 3 wires in it since it is 2 color rope (red and green).

Attached files 297739=16449-rl2.jpg

Here is a piece of spt 1 with a 1 x 17 wire brad solder on it and a piece of heat shrink over the connection.

Attached files 297740=16450-rl5.jpg

And the nail pushed into the rope light to make the connection. Would just have to solder another nail on the other wire and then put a piece of heat shrink over the whole thing after hot gluing it to make a complete assembly.

Attached files 297741=16451-rl6.jpg

Doesn't look that hard. Thanks for the quick reply with the pictures I wanted to see. I really did search and read a few threads but hey now we have another thread for someone to find. Someone should make a video tutorial on this, I've found about everything else on youtube but this one just wasn't there. Thanks!
(More suggestions welcome!)

l0chte wrote:

Doesn't look that hard. Thanks for the quick reply with the pictures I wanted to see. I really did search and read a few threads but hey now we have another thread for someone to find. Someone should make a video tutorial on this, I've found about everything else on youtube but this one just wasn't there. Thanks!
(More suggestions welcome!)

Your welcome.

I was going to do a video but my Flip video camera is recharging the battery since I went out and shot some of my display tonight.

Once it recharges and I get the videos off it, maybe I will make a video of the ropelight building and put it on my web site since I have not seen much of anything on doing it out there either.

Guest Don Gillespie

I've got some rope light at the shop will give this a try in the new year, thanks for the tips, makes perfect sense to have the length you need as to having 10 feet of rope light curled up and zip tied that you are not using. can't wait to try this out.

l0chte wrote:

Well I started and IT WORKED. Thanks guys! (I'm defiantly not making a video because my skills are way below par lol.)
I was really nervous the first time I cut one of those but after I did the first one then the rest for my pumpkin faces was a breeze.

Thought I would come back and show what I've made.. not all the ropes are exactly where I would like them but I haven't finalized with zip ties yet, they are held on with twisty ties.. Worked good and wasn't to hard... Just makes your heard skip a beat when you plug them in... :P

facesoa.jpg

Nice job on that face. That should make a great addition to your shows.

On the cutting of rope light - YES, watch for the correct place to cut it for sure!!!

Usually you will see a small line or else a small mark that looks like a pair of scissors on the rope light that will show you were it can be cut.

Different brands of ropelight may be differetn lenghts that can be cut at. I have seen them at 18", 38" 48", and others.
Also if the ropelight is multicolor it will be a different cut lenght as well. You have to study it and look for the cuttin marks to be sure.
The supplier you get the ropelight should have it posted as to the cut lenght but some will not say as they don't want to take responsiblity for any cutting.

Guest Don Gillespie

the question I have is on the rope light there are no marks that indicate a cut point, so being the guy I am I cut it open and I still can't find any cut marks, that being said, I am trying to figure out how you insert the nail I believe you are inserting the nail to power the rope light up, the cut I made I made sure the power end was still part of the rope I wanted to use, so in the last picture I posted if thats the case can I cut the rope where it is not lit hot glue it and call it good, this is my first time cutting this and I have lots of extra rope to practice on. or are you in fact cutting the rope light and then adding SPT wire to the rope for your exact length creating a smaller electrical cord which would easily bend and extend to the controllers. thanks