Light-O-Rama Forums

Rocky Run Christmas 2011 Video

heystew

Just finished my first video for this years show (11 months ahead of schedule compared to last years video). Still more footage to capture to try and show all the features of the show but it's a start.
Facts about the show:
~500+ channels of traditional LOR control
~5000+ channels of RGB pixels controlled by DMX using 12 Enttec Pro adapters

The show has run great this year and we have had more traffic problems than usual. We actually had to shutdown Christmas Eve because we couldn't keep the cars off of the main road. We cut the show down to 5 minutes to keep traffic moving but our street just couldn't handle it.

Video at: http://www.rockyrunchristmas.com/2011video.html

The video is about 10 minutes. Each year we have a different theme.. this year we chose Star Wars.

Attached files 297301=16425-RockyRunHeader2b.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heystew

• duner10

• WilliamS

• MtDew4me

thanks.. the sabers were my special side project this year.. The show was built so it could stand without them.. got them done the day after opening night.. this was my first foray into linear actuators.. went fairly smoothly.. but i've definitely learned some do's and don'ts (most important.. research the controller you buy to confirm it will support simultaneous operation of both actuators...)

Heystew: I live in Leesburg and have been meaning to pay your display a visit this year. Awesome work! I hope I can get the family there this year.

Thanks Brandon, the show runs until the 7th, so plenty of time. Shoot me a PM when you think you may come by and I'll see if I can be around.

thanks,
dave

I was skeptical about how the whole search for Santa thing would go over.. It's gone over extremely well. It's awesome to stand outside and here the kids screaming as they see santa pop out in different places in the yard during the show. One thing you can't see in this video that I will have to shoot later is the Santa's popping up in various places.
The skit format has gone over extremely well with the visitors.. plus it helps with traffic because there is a definite beginning and end to the show. the last song on the video is our intermission song that usually has a voice-over asking them to pull forward.

a few more details on the show:
- all lights are LED with exception of the rope lights around the windows on the house
- we estimate that it's 150,000 plus lights.. but we actually have no idea of the exact count. we know it's at least that.
- there are 12 DMX universes controlling the RGB pixels that are used in the fireworks, spiral trees, and light sabers
- the RGB lights are ws2801 based pixels from Stellascapes
- the 12 DMX universes are run using Enttec Pro's (see this thread for more info on the connection http://forums.lightorama.com/forum76/29031.html)
- there are 3 traditional LOR networks driving the LED lights
- two zipline santa sleighs that fly during the show (had one for the last 3 years.. added the second one this year)
- the lights on the flying sleighs are powered by a battery pack with solar panel. If you look close in the Medley when Santa's sleigh takes off.. you'll see the battery pack/solar panel following behind him.
- the characters on the roof are about 10' tall and are made with rope light over a mesh frame.
- the dripping icicle tubes were my first attempt to buy anything straight from China. Went well after some back and forth.

all together I think its great. Love it all wish I had the area to do that kind of display. HOA and being in a Townhouse Im sure I would get some complaints!

we were selected as a finalist in patch.com's Deck the House contest. The winning home will receive $100,000 for their school district. If you care to vote, you may do so at: http://deckthehouse.patch.com/entry/230054

We are located in McLean, VA and the $100,000 prize would go to Fairfax County Public Schools.

Thank you for your consideration

I saw this show last night. It was awesome, even more so in person. My CFO (aka wife) increase my budget again. Woohoo. Thanks Heystew!

That is a spectacular display. The work involved is not lost on me, but more important is that it captured my from the beginning and I viewed through to the end. I love the "get the kids involved" as this is our goto for halloween. We put three huge buttons out front and the kids can't not push them. Your "find the Santa" is another great trick that I will borrow with your permission!

Great work!

Thanks for the great comments... by all means adapt anything you see from our display. I'll get a better video that shows the santa's waving to the kids..

I was wondering...when you were adding onto your system, how did you know which lights would 'talk' to DMX and which ones would talk to LoR controllers? My big concern and priority is having all the same kind of lights so there is good continuity. Do you run into compatibility issues ?

All of my traditional lights (incandescent and led strings, rope lights, etc) are controlled by LOR controllers. I use DMX for intelligent fixtures.. these include RGB pixel strings, moving head spotlights, fog machine, etc.

basically if you only want to turn it on/off/fade it etc, then i put it on LOR controllers.. if it is an intelligent device then it is generally DMX.

One caveat to this would be LOR's CCR's and forthcoming CCB's which are intelligent fixtures that can take LOR protocol directly (i believe DMX as well just to make it fun..)

Thanks for simplifying it for me :) I finally got my wife, the engineer, from looking at the price, and start looking at the problem - the neighbors are beating us :D Now, it's a problem, and we're trying to build a solution, but still have TONS of questions.

heystew,

In case I missed it somewhere, how long does it take to sequence one song for something like that?
It's incredible what you are doing, very awesome!