Light-O-Rama Forums

[Faded] Blue Christmas

roknjohn

OK, after I optimistically ignored all of the warnings from veteran LORers and hardheadedly installed about 100 strings of 100ct mini blue incans from WalMart ("Holiday Time" brand) in my display this year, I now understand the fading problem first hand.

Does anyone know if the Lowe's brand ("Holiday Living") also fades as quickly?

All blue incandescents I've ever used have faded and/or peeled. I hated that with a passion. Constantly replacing the lights year after year. Even the triple dipped C9's would eventually peel after a couple of years. Finally invested a few K to replace just the blues in the show with LEDs. Couldn't be happier.

I know another user who has been quite happy with just LED blue, and the rest incandescent.

For the city show, we just did not add blue until we converted to LED. So for about 3 years, each year there has been more blue than the year before.

roknjohn wrote:

OK, after I optimistically ignored all of the warnings from veteran LORers and hardheadedly installed about 100 strings of 100ct mini blue incans from WalMart ("Holiday Time" brand) in my display this year, I now understand the fading problem first hand.

Does anyone know if the Lowe's brand ("Holiday Living") also fades as quickly?

I cannot speak to the current product but I used the Lowe's brand three seasons ago. At the end of the display season they were faded to the point I could not use them again.

So what can I expect to spend to replace the 100 blue strings currently in my display and the 75 strings that I plan to add next year?

Is there a usable brand from Walmart, Lowe's, etc. that is acceptable, or am I forced to spend nearly $20 a set with Paul?

roknjohn wrote:

So what can I expect to spend to replace the 100 blue strings currently in my display and the 75 strings that I plan to add next year?

Is there a usable brand from Walmart, Lowe's, etc. that is acceptable, or am I forced to spend nearly $20 a set with Paul?

Well if you quit crying and get off of your thumbs and order right now or before the 20th of Jan. you can get those 100ct M5 Blue LED strings in case qty of 12 per case at a really bargin. Works out to $15.75 ea or $189.00 per case. Sure dont understand how you came up with nearly $20 a set.

Informed people who read for fun have been told over and over again that Blue ican are the worse for fading or cracking. Though this happens with other colors too. Just not as bad as the blub bulbs. Nice thing about LEDs is that they dont really fade as much and they start out real vivid. What we LED people call POP! Just like all of the newer LCD Big Screen TVs. Its all about the POP.

Max-Paul wrote:

Well if you quit crying and get off of your thumbs and order right now or before the 20th of Jan. you can get those 100ct M5 Blue LED strings in case qty of 12 per case at a really bargin. Works out to $15.75 ea or $189.00 per case. Sure dont understand how you came up with nearly $20 a set.

Thanks for the info on the sale, I was just going by the website.

http://www.creativedisplays.com/product/631/100-LED-LIGHT-SET-M6-STYLE-BLUE/

$252 per dozen = $21 each.

Still, $1575+ is a lot to pay for pop. Don't get me wrong, I like pop. Pop is good, just expensive.

Check the spacing between bulbs. You might not need as many LED strings as you did you incans. I've found that many of the incans that I used to have had only 3 inch spacing between the bulbs. All of my LEDs have a minimum of 4 inch spacing.

Of the three companies having pre-season sales right now (CDI, MITS, and HLE) CDI's prices are the highest. Just saying...

George Simmons wrote:

Of the three companies having pre-season sales right now (CDI, MITS, and HLE) CDI's prices are the highest. Just saying...

Hi, Newbie Here

Can anyone tell me the company names for MITS and HLE? :)

Thanks

Can anyone speak to the quality of product and customer service of these companies mention. MITS, HLE, CDI

Ron.

I bought from MITS last year, (my first year), and didn't have any problems at all. High quality lights. All worked without any problems.

Customer service and quality from Paul at CDI is excellent. I bought some green C6 70ct strands for my 10' tree this year and had no problems. But, he does only sell in quantities of 12 and is most expensive this year. I may be buying from HLE this year as I can buy full cases or individual srtands to get exactly what I need. I have read many good things about HLE on these forums and they are the only one besides CDI that sell LED icicles.

If you want to take the time & effort, you can color the incan. bulbs with a blue Sharpie marker. I do that on my blue mini trees and they last a while. First time for blues on the mega this yr, faded like crazy, was seeing white in just a few days. I'm looking to go LED, maybe at least on the blues.

• 2 months later...

to answer your question about paint their is one its by Krylon ,and you can find it at craft stores it onlys comes in red, blue, yellow it used for painting glass and comes in a spray can approx. cost is 7.00 per can

That's funny, I hadn't heard about this before with the blue lights, but yes......several of mine faded last winter. And mine were the Lowe's brand.....
Going LED for hte blue color this year.
D

I use ALOT of Blue in my display, as they say, I like the POP. Bought with a friend from MITS last year with 0 problems for either of us. We are buying alot more from them this year. Great people to work with and great quality and $$ value in my opinion.:cool: