Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX 12v Vs CMB16D

WilliamS

bdeditch wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:

So basically what it sounds like is that 2 power supplies for anything longer than 5 meters. one on each end.

Sorry for the misunderstanding or my misunderstanding.

Not 2 'power supplies' to power a RGB strip longer than 5 meters, but 2 power inputs (extension cords)

Take my garage for example. I have a total of 12 meters around it. They are all powered by the same power supply from the same 3 channels on a LOR DC board. BUT there are 3 "extension cords" coming from those 3 channels. One is connected at the bottom right of the garage and one at each top corner.

OK I understand now, basically the power from one end just seems to peter out when it gets to a certian point of the strip, there fore you are really "boosting" the power so it gets to all sections of the strip, but same power source and on the same channel that you have programed it on.

Yes:cool:

See were all learning something here.

Now onto the next trick. Finding a multicore wire. Ive seen 4 core, gotta find 16

Paul Roberson wrote:

bdeditch wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:
bdeditch wrote:

So basically what it sounds like is that 2 power supplies for anything longer than 5 meters. one on each end.

Sorry for the misunderstanding or my misunderstanding.

Not 2 'power supplies' to power a RGB strip longer than 5 meters, but 2 power inputs (extension cords)

Take my garage for example. I have a total of 12 meters around it. They are all powered by the same power supply from the same 3 channels on a LOR DC board. BUT there are 3 "extension cords" coming from those 3 channels. One is connected at the bottom right of the garage and one at each top corner.

OK I understand now, basically the power from one end just seems to peter out when it gets to a certian point of the strip, there fore you are really "boosting" the power so it gets to all sections of the strip, but same power source and on the same channel that you have programed it on.

Yes:cool:

Thank you so much Paul, I am starting to get so much of a better understanding. I am going to be using LOR as my sequence editor, but for now I am going to use the Enttec pro to use as a doggle. Hopefully it will work as explained in the videos. I have a few practice strips coming in the see how everything works first.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Now onto the next trick. Finding a multicore wire. Ive seen 4 core, gotta find 16

I think what he is saying its just the power that would need to bought to different pints on the strips , not the light control points.

bdeditch wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

I think what he is saying its just the power that would need to bought to different pints on the strips , not the light control points.

4 of my props will have 4 sets on it, so a 16 core wire running to it as a feed all 4 sets.

GoofyGuy wrote:

bdeditch wrote:
GoofyGuy wrote:

4 of my props will have 4 sets on it, so a 16 core wire running to it as a feed all 4 sets.

4 pieces of 4 core wire zip tied together will get you there.;):cool:

Paul Roberson wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
bdeditch wrote:
GoofyGuy wrote:

4 pieces of 4 core wire zip tied together will get you there.;):cool:

Way ahead of you on that one, thats how my current 120ac zip cord wires are setup. I like to simplify things in many ways I was hoping for a magic 16 core wire.

Hey Paul,

Nice box!! I was thinking of using something similar I'd either build myself, or buy at a hardware store. I live in Utah, where there's tons of snow/rain/everything in between, so I have to protect it from the elements. But, do you notice a problem with heat build-up in that box where the circuits overheat ? If you do, what's your solution, while keeping the box weatherproof ?

DLTSLC wrote:

Hey Paul,

Nice box!! I was thinking of using something similar I'd either build myself, or buy at a hardware store. I live in Utah, where there's tons of snow/rain/everything in between, so I have to protect it from the elements. But, do you notice a problem with heat build-up in that box where the circuits overheat ? If you do, what's your solution, while keeping the box weatherproof ?

No, there is not a problem with heat. The cover that goes on it has 4 places for wires (battery cables) to exit. I suspect it gets plenty of air flow. There are 2 places directly on the top of the cover that I hot glue closed to seal out water. I have 5 of these boxes in my display and have not had any problems with them.

Thanks for all this info, it sure is helpful for those of us looking to add RGB to our display.

I picked up a DC board and some of the dumb strips from RayWu along with a 350 Watt power supply and have started messing around with it. Also picked up a DMX dongle and such to try playing with DMX and see which route I want to end up going.

One thing I can't find much info on, is how is everyone securing the strips to the house, be it on the gutter fronts, soffet, etc? I can't seem to find much in searchign around here on that?

Also, that 4 core wire on Ebay, are you guys running that outside, is it weather resistant or are you putting it in some conduit etc?

Thanks for all this info and to GoofyGuy for the original questions!

Goofyguy, playing devil's advocate here. Why spend $200 for 32 LOR channels verses $100 for 48 DMX channels? I'm in the exact same boat as you with this dilema.

TitanBry77 wrote:

Thanks for all this info, it sure is helpful for those of us looking to add RGB to our display.

I picked up a DC board and some of the dumb strips from RayWu along with a 350 Watt power supply and have started messing around with it. Also picked up a DMX dongle and such to try playing with DMX and see which route I want to end up going.

One thing I can't find much info on, is how is everyone securing the strips to the house, be it on the gutter fronts, soffet, etc? I can't seem to find much in searchign around here on that?

Also, that 4 core wire on Ebay, are you guys running that outside, is it weather resistant or are you putting it in some conduit etc?

Here are a couple links to some pictures of how I mounted mine.

RGB strip mounting.

More mounting pictures.

After the last few weeks Ive just kept absorbing info. I will be using DMX and LOR controllers. Im waiting for Kevin to get his site up and running before I begin ordering. I will log everything in a DIY thread for a few reasons.

1) To make sure Im doing it right Ill allow the members here to yell at me.

2) It will be logged with info on all parts so in a year when all the new people come in there will be the info already on the baords

3) To give some here that extra edge to jump out there and try something new. I know DMX isnt new to many here but to people like me it is.

Paul thank you for keeping the thread moving forward. The pictures and info have been priceless. I did a lot more research into it becuase you kept me moving forward. LOR will controll my higher power 12v as the baord is built for the extra current, the DMX will run the short 6 foot runs of RGB.

Paul Roberson wrote:

TitanBry77 wrote:

Here are a couple links to some pictures of how I mounted mine.

RGB strip mounting.

More mounting pictures.

Thanks for sharing your photos, Paul. Very helpful.

-Mark

TitanBry77 wrote:

Thanks for the info here guys. Paul great pics, that clears a lot up.

GoofyGuy definitely will look forward to your DIY thread!

Im certain there are many in here that can do better. Ive had experience in the past with creating those thread in different forums. My hopes is not to make a tell all how to, but to start something and hopefully as info is updated have the ability to update or correct as well. I could not create anything if it was not for the few here that have given me the info to do it. Its not me creating the thread per say its me putting all the great info from them together in one place.

• The topic was locked