Light-O-Rama Forums

how to replace a faulty triac?

TWright

Try for a search on these forums; others have described it in great detail and there's probably a video in there somewhere.

You could also open a ticket with LOR to see if they can help, either by sending new parts out or by repairing it for you.

First off, you need to decide if you are have soldering skills (and tools) to do the job.

If you've never used a soldering iron, would not be taking on replacing a triac, as simple as it is, for a first attempt with a soldering iron, especially when LOR can do it for you for minimal expense.

If your local to someone perhaps they will lend the hand. As for testing I have no clue. I did have a bad one in my second controller took all of 5 mins to replace.

I tried replacing a few. Not sure what I did wrong. Some work and I have a couple that will not do anything. Sent boards back to LOR.

Have VOM or now days a DVM, will troubleshoot. Take a ohm meter and read the ohm across the A1 and A2 leads. Then reverse the meter leads. If in either test the resistance is below say 1K ohms the Traic is considered shorted. Mind you, a few volts DC is not the same as 120VAC.

I believe that I also lost a triac in this years display. Does anyone have a part reference number, from Mouser, that is an equal substitute??

I also have a "stuck channel" on one of the DC boards, I don;t believe that they utiliza triac.
A part number for the dc board would also be greatly appreciated.

The numbers you seek is on the part. Get magnifying glass and read the numbers off of the part. And your right, the semiconductor on the DC board is a mosfet if I remember correctly.

Dave H1 wrote:

I believe that I also lost a triac in this years display. Does anyone have a part reference number, from Mouser, that is an equal substitute??

I also have a "stuck channel" on one of the DC boards, I don;t believe that they utiliza triac.
A part number for the dc board would also be greatly appreciated.

After looking at the parts list on the kit instructions I get this number BTA16-600BW which crosses over to a Mouser 511-BTA16-600BW. They have 14,994 in stock at $1.18 ea.

Verify before purchasing.