Light-O-Rama Forums

Show has long pause between one song

johnson8ryley

The problem is described in the title. One of my songs has a very, VERY long pause after it finishes. It seems to be the same pause amount every time, around 15 seconds. All my other songs play one after another and the show is set to 0 seconds pause between musical sequences. I'm running the show on my 3 year old laptop that has 2gb of ram and a dual core 2ghz (might be more). It only does this on one song and I double checked the song and the song is done right when the audio is done (no 15 second pause after its done). It happens every time and it causes people to drive off. I really dont know what the problem could be. I've read some other posts and they don't seem to fix my problem. The show only runs 10 musical sequences, nothing else. Please help, thanks.

The only way I can see that happening is the MP3 file has a very long silence at the end and needs to be loaded into a music editor and that silence cut from the file. Ot it could be the next music file is the actual culprit and may have a long silence at the beginning of the music creating the issue. Either way it sounds like one of those music files needs to have the silence cut from the beginning or the end of them.

I cut the silence areas completely off any MP3 files I use in my show and no longer have this issue. You may not realize just how much silence there is if you don't load the file into a music editor and STRETCH the waveform to get a good look at where the music really starts and ends.

Many will just load it and say, looks fine, but they miss those LONG GAPS of silence at each end of the music that can create this issue. Had them myself when I first started and is why I now cut those silent parts from both the beginning and end of any file I sequence.

Now I never have those long blackout gaps that cause folks to drive off thinking the show has ended, when it was only 1 or 2 songs into the show.

Good luck.

Welcome to the LOR forums! Lots of info here, but like you did, if you can't find it, there are plenty of people here to help you out. Contribute where you can as well!

Assuming you checked the mp3 files and there is no silence at the end (like you said you did) I would open the culprit sequence in the sequence editor and go to the Edit menu, and choose "Change Total Time". This is the actual length of the sequence. My guess is that it is 15 seconds longer than the actual time of the mp3. My guess is if you play the sequence in the editor, you will notice that the time line continues to move at the end of the song like it is still playing, though there is no music or animation. You probably have 15 seconds of blank animation after the song ends. By adjusting this "Change Total Time" setting (make it 15 seconds less) it should fix it.

I think the culprit might be the song AFTER the pause. I looked at the first song last night and did not see any long pauses after the song but the song after that one might have a long pause at the beginning of it. When I get home I will use audacity and try and remove some dull spots that have no music playing. Wish me luck!