Light-O-Rama Forums

GFCI ... shutdown?

TWright

I'm curious ... at what point do members shut down the show due to wet/inclement weather. For me, After the GFCI's trip for the second time or trip right after resetting, it's time to shut down.

Just curious what others do.

First time in five years I had to shutdown this year a few weeks ago. When I had 8 GFCI outlets that would pop as soon as you hit reset it was over. Updated the Beta Brite with an outage message and updated the web site. Nothing much else you can do.

Heavy rain causes only one of my 4 GFI's to trip thus darkening my 8 minis and a mega which are all on one sd card-run controller. I figure its the minis causing it as this happens every year. However, the rest of my show (on 2nd controller) continues to play. When it trips I just leave it off & reset the next day. Also, all plugs are tied up off the ground.

My show starts when Im not home, It was raining hard and sideways the 2nd day. To my surprise it was running bright and on time. I was going to call and have a neighbor turn off the switch to those outlets but I forgot. All of my controllers are outside, were in the rain. A few key things, none of my plugs are on the ground they are all at minimum 6 inches up. This might have been my savior I dont know.

It was a dry winter. I had no GFCI trips at all, but then again, it hasn't rained in the evening since Thanksgiving.

We need the rain, but if it wants to wait until next week, that's OK with me.

I had my Gfci's pop once this year stopping the show for a day. I will simply say one thing they don't tend to pop if Get everything conductive off the ground. My fault was with some c'9s lining the driveway as soon as I got all sockets off the ground of the unused lights all plugs off that circuit stopped tripping. insulate insulate insulate from the pesky ground that likes to trip gfci's. It can take some time to figure out but isolate possible causes by unplugging and then plug one by one back in and you will most likely find what needs a little more help in insulation from leaking to ground.

I have been running GFI for a few years now and never had them trip....until this year!
Normally this time of the year it is minus COLD!!! This year the temps have been above freezing so lots of water.
I have each outlet protected so I swapped things around until I found out what was causing the trip and removed it. Show ran fine after that.

96 channels in two years with no GFI trips at all in the rain and damp weather.

Kept all connections at least a foot above the ground.

Usually proper wiring techniques and attenion to detail will protect you from having GFCI issues.

Havent had a trip in the last five years and December is one of our wettest months.

I put a lot of planning into the set up wiring