Light-O-Rama Forums

Snowflakes in Motion

mcorbo

mcorbo wrote:

Melvin Stoddard wrote:
Are those available anymore.

No, that's the problem. I would love to have another dozen!

Are you sure about that?

I clicked on their order option and it will allow me to place an order for them. They just are sold out for now from the way I see it.

Says 1-2 weeks for delivery. And allows you to enter info via paypal. I didn't finalize the order, but I am going to try and order at least 24, probably more like 36 of these, would love to have some for my house too.

They still seem to be available, as I'd have thought if they weren't when you try and place an order a page would come up stating they were no longer available instead of taking you to an actual order form to fill out.

Also sent them an e-mail asking about their "Snowflake in Motion" asking if they are still available, planning on ordering 3 cases of them (36 snowflakes) depending on the response I get (if any).

They have been sold out for a couple years now. Your payment will be refunded shortly after you pay.

I wrote him a couple months ago just to make sure and he verified they were indeed sold out.

Jeffrey wrote:

They have been sold out for a couple years now. Your payment will be refunded shortly after you pay.

I wrote him a couple months ago just to make sure and he verified they were indeed sold out.

Then why the heck do they keep the order form active?

If I was in business to sell an item and they weren't being made or couldn't be gotten, I'd disable the order page and have a statement such as "We're sorry, these are no longer available for purchase." and I'd also have a statement on my home page stating that as well in BIG BOLD PRINT!

That too me is not a good business practice, because it is misleading folks to believe they can still buy them, when in reality, they are nowhere to be had.

The way I was reading the site was is appeared they were the ones that built and sold them, if they aren't going to do that any longer, that should be in BIG, BOLD LETTERS on their homepage stating such so others would not even try to place an order for them!

I think he lost access to the website or a friend was doing it for him or something odd like that.

If you look at the information on the site there is a contest dated 2005. :)

I'm pretty sure the $65/case was just clearing out his stale inventory 5 or 6 years ago...

Jeffrey wrote:

I think he lost access to the website or a friend was doing it for him or something odd like that.

If you look at the information on the site there is a contest dated 2005. :)

I'm pretty sure the $65/case was just clearing out his stale inventory 5 or 6 years ago...

Yes, I noticed that, but I've dealt with websites that have dates even older than that and still sell items.

So even though it has a year of 2005, you should NEVER keep an order form active on a site that really has nothing to sell or offer. Again, it is bad business and it is misleading to anyone that may try to place an order only to find no such product currently exists. It would be like me opening a website and saying I have some product to sell that I don't have, but still allow people to place an order and then be disappointed to find out there was no such item or product available. And chances are finding myself in a lawsuit for misleading a consumer.

That is why I am so surprised they keep the order form alive and active, it shouldn't be and if the product isn't or can't be gotten, I'd be removing any e-mail links, order forms or any semblance that I ever sold them, just a site that showed what they were and how folks used them.

Guess I'm just too logical to understand this one....

Orville wrote:

Guess I'm just too logical to understand this one....

Logical? In this hobby? ;)

But I understand where you are coming from...

He was trying to find a supplier the last time I was in contact with him.
He wants to provide them again but has some problems with the Chinese manufacturer that he used to do the first ones.

As far as I am aware he is still trying to have them produced (possibly in Taiwan) and shipped to the states.

mcorbo wrote:

Melvin Stoddard wrote:

It's a little more DIY, but have you considered making your own with coro and a few lights? I am sure one of the coro vendors on this forum could help you as well.

Brian

beeiilll wrote:

He was trying to find a supplier the last time I was in contact with him.
He wants to provide them again but has some problems with the Chinese manufacturer that he used to do the first ones.

As far as I am aware he is still trying to have them produced (possibly in Taiwan) and shipped to the states.

Well I hope he succeeds beeiill. I'd definitely love to have about 3 dozen of them for my display! Although I'd prefer they were LED(or are/were they LED?) and STATIC as opposed to having a controller on them. Since for our use a static one we control would be much better than having to use 100% on all the time for them.

But either way, I still would love to be able to buy a few dozen of them!

FireMedic4Christ wrote:

mcorbo wrote:
Melvin Stoddard wrote:

It's a little more DIY, but have you considered making your own with coro and a few lights? I am sure one of the coro vendors on this forum could help you as well.

Brian

Coro too me would not be as sturdy with just a single screw hole in the center of a 14-inch snowflake, these look to have been made of a sturdier white plastic and that would hold up much better than coro or so I'd think. Just my opinion.

Orville wrote:

Well I hope he succeeds beeiill.   I'd definitely love to have about 3 dozen of them for my display!   Although I'd prefer they were LED(or are/were they LED?) and STATIC as opposed to having a controller on them.   Since for our use a static one we control would be much better than having to use 100% on all the time for them.

But either way, I still would love to be able to buy a few dozen of them!

They are (were) incandescent bulbs on the original ones since LEDs were not around much when he had the first run done.
They are also static without any controller on them. They just had a flasher bulb you could put in to make them blink.

I have 2 cases of them myself. I bought one case a couple years ago and then got wind of him selling down the stock so I bought another case. Too bad for me that by the time I could afford a third case he had sold out of them.
I contact him ever few months to see how it is going.
He took quite a bath on the first production on these as the big name stores didn't want to sell them
(too expensive for their tastes I think) so he sat on a large stock for a long time before the decorating community got wind of them and we bought the stock out.

I'm not sure of what the problem with the Chinese supplier is/was on doing more of these but I would imagine that they probably want triple the price to produce another lot of these which would make them prohibitively expensive.

I myself would buy another 10 cases of them to have (and I have not even incorporated them into my display yet) just to have them.
They really are that good a quality to me and as long as you take care of them and should last a lifetime.

I also tinkered with one and see that it could be retrofitted with LEDs pretty easily (well at least it was easy for me).
Maybe he is looking at having them made with LEDs now?

I hope they do come back.

beeiilll wrote:

I myself would buy another 10 cases of them to have (and I have not even incorporated them into my display yet) just to have them.
They really are that good a quality to me and as long as you take care of them and should last a lifetime.

I also tinkered with one and see that it could be retrofitted with LEDs pretty easily (well at least it was easy for me).
Maybe he is looking at having them made with LEDs now?

I hope they do come back.

I agree, they are built extremely well and our oldest 14 are 4 years old now and except for the PVC yellowing a bit... they are in great shape.

If they were still $65 a case, I'd buy two cases to just have(and probably figure out a use for). If they were $130 a case, I'd buy one case and still be happy. :)

And someone here retrofit their SiM snowflakes with LEDs and they looked great. There was a thread here not too long ago about it.

I know Jack was thinking of doing Stars for his wife at one point but I don't know what became of that... I *thought* that was what he was talking about with his original manufacturer not being around anymore but I'm not sure.

I e-mailed him, but have not heard back about them or anything. But that would possibly explain why he keeps the order form alive on the site, just in case he is able to get them manufactured again.

I'll be watching out for them as I would love to get some snowflakes like those for my display. Especially since that would be the only "snow" here, tropical Central Flordia, so it may get cold from time to time and we might get ice occasionally, but snow is extremely rare in my area.

Stars I really wouldn't be interested in, but the snowflakes most definitely.