Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree or Sprial Tree

Maine Lights

I was wondering if it is possible to do a 15-20 ft mega or spiral tree 3 color (RGW) with only 16 channels and make it look good. I am trying to prepare for next year as I know I will have to work on this for a while to get it done. Any help would be much appreciated!

3 Color with 16 channels...so 5 channels per color, You would need to quadruple the strings per channel, so say 4 strings per channel, which on a static tree or traditional I should say, you could probably get away with, I think on a spiral...not so much, but thats me trying to visualize in my head, and I think too many strings per channel to get a "good" spiral effect. Here is a thought though...make 2 colors static..so only 2 channels, and 1 color, the spiral with 14 channels, no you may be able to pull that off :D

I have a 16 channel 3-color megatree (8ch W, 4ch R, 4ch G), with a 16ch white spiral tree over it. The tree is about 17.5' tall. I think for my tree, that 16 channels for the spiral would be the minimum. So three colors would be out of the question. Now for the megatree, for the red and green, I use the "up and over" technique to fill the whole tree. So if the entire tree had 8 wedges, 1 & 5 would be on the same channel for red (likewise for green). 2&6, 3&7, 4&8 are the 3 other channels. To be honest, for most of my songs, I probably could have gotten away with the whole green tree on 1 channel, and the whole red tree on 1 channel, since most of the "action" is with white anyway. Therefore with that method, you could use 10 channels for a decent 3 color mega-tree (with only white being able to spin).

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=33261938

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I have a 16 channel 3-color megatree (8ch W, 4ch R, 4ch G), with a 16ch white spiral tree over it. The tree is about 17.5' tall. I think for my tree, that 16 channels for the spiral would be the minimum. So three colors would be out of the question. Now for the megatree, for the red and green, I use the "up and over" technique to fill the whole tree. So if the entire tree had 8 wedges, 1 & 5 would be on the same channel for red (likewise for green). 2&6, 3&7, 4&8 are the 3 other channels. To be honest, for most of my songs, I probably could have gotten away with the whole green tree on 1 channel, and the whole red tree on 1 channel, since most of the "action" is with white anyway. Therefore with that method, you could use 10 channels for a decent 3 color mega-tree (with only white being able to spin).

would you be interested in sharing this sequence? has my curiosity up on how you did the spirals. I have a mega tree music box sequence but got gun shy on making my mega a spiral this year.

caniac wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

would you be interested in sharing this sequence? has my curiosity up on how you did the spirals. I have a mega tree music box sequence but got gun shy on making my mega a spiral this year.

To be honest spiral sequencing is very easy (probably the easiest thing in my display to sequence). They are basically just variations of chases. Here are some great sample sequences I downloaded that will show you ton more examples than any of my sequences ever could.

spiral sample 16 channels.las
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=258582

spiral sample karl spiral.las
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=290106

Spiral samples.las
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=234282

mega tree test.las
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=222427
http://vimeo.com/17140397

So if I understand correctly, you use the spiral tree calculator to figure out where the strings should go? Did you use vertical guide wires to attach your spirals? Sorry for so many questions, but my spiral and your spiral are worlds apart! meaning your is WAY better!

dito wrote:

WOW, That is in AWESOME Spiral! Could you please share how you got them laid out so uniformly? I had problems getting my spiral to look anything organized.

You just have to lay them straight and equally spaced. :P

Actually, Scott T had a great tip in his tutorial. Label all strings with a sharpie with their ch #, and likewise mark their finish point on your bottom ring of the tree (see pie picture below). If using 16 channels, start with channel 1 and get it to spiral just how you want it. I do a full 2 rotations. So starting spot at the top should line up with the finishing spot at the bottom. Once you have it how you want it, then move on to the string on the opposite side (so channel 9). Have both of these strings lit up to see them better. As wrapping channel 9, look "through" the tree to the opposite side. The channel 9 string should reach the same points as the ch1 string does BUT 180 degrees away. For example, if the ch1 string is at the very front point of the tree at 8 feet high, then ch9 should be at the very back point of the tree at 8 feet high (though they will be sloping opposite directions--from a distance they should look criss-crossed like a X). I just eyeballed it. Once you have the first 2 strings done, it is even easier from there. For the next lines, you want to go in this order 1,9,5,13,3,11,7,15,etc. Look at the pie slices picture below, and go to each of these numbers and you will start to see the pattern. Basically, you keep dividing the "pie" into new equal sections (1 & 9 cuts it in half, then 5 & 13 results in quarters, etc.). So following this pattern ch5 is next--on the pie it is half way between 1 & 9. Therefore leave 1 & 9 lit on the tree, and spiral ch5 down the tree remaining half way between 1 & 9 the whole way down. Ch 13 will be the same thing, but starting on the opposite side of the tree. Next is Ch3, which is half way between 1 & 5, then 11 is half way between 9 & 13. I would only keep 3 strings lit at a time--the one 1 was wrapping and the two that it was half way in between. Made it very easy. After you do a few, you quickly start seeing the pattern, and won't need to reference these instructions (maybe print out the channel order though to save on having to "think" (ie: 1,9,5,13,3,11,7,15,etc). After you wrap each string, step far away from the tree and adjust the newly placed string as needed. It goes fairly quick, and the finished effect is incredible.

SilverdaleLightsSpiralMegaTreeConstructionGuide.pdf
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=258676

Used this calculator for determining length, spacing, etc.
http://www.lightsonsixth.com/stuff/spiraltreespreadsheet-97.xls

Attached files 295399=16315-16 spiral starts.jpg

dito wrote:

So if I understand correctly, you use the spiral tree calculator to figure out where the strings should go? Did you use vertical guide wires to attach your spirals? Sorry for so many questions, but my spiral and your spiral are worlds apart! meaning your is WAY better!

I did use 8 vertical guy wires (green wire clothes line from Walmart) just to help support the weight of the spirals on top of the vertical mega tree strings. I didn't attach to the guy wires though, since the spiral strings won't budge once they are laying on top of the megatree strings (the bulbs won't let them slide). About 1/3rd from the top, I do have a PVC ring to help hold the shape a tad better--that is attached to the above mentioned guy wires. Not sure if it was needed or not, but I included it. I probably would have a 2nd ring down lower too, but didn't this year.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

dito wrote: I did use 8 vertical guy wires (green wire clothes line from Walmart) just to help support the weight of the spirals on top of the vertical mega tree strings. I didn't attach to the guy wires though, since the spiral strings won't budge once they are laying on top of the megatree strings (the bulbs won't let them slide). About 1/3rd from the top, I do have a PVC ring to help hold the shape a tad better--that is attached to the above mentioned guy wires. Not sure if it was needed or not, but I included it. I probably would have a 2nd ring down lower too, but didn't this year.

Hey surf...what kind of lights did you use on your Mega...I had 96 strings of Mini's, but looking to move to C6 LED's as I'm changing a ton of stuff around next year? I"m thinking with probably 32 Red, 32 Green, and then 16 only on the spiral white...I will need 16 guy wires...to prevent sag, as it will be alot more weight than my minis incandescents. Your spiral sequence is great!

Thank You VERY MUCH for the explanation. Makes a WHOLE lot more sense than what I did! that being said/done...Ok, just a crazy thought here (mostly because I outhink myself and am lazy). With nothing else attached (vertical lights),If I attach all the spiral lights at the top and bottom vertically (having the full length sag) then take my hook head and spin the hook head until I get two complete revolutions (considering I accounted for correct tree height and revolutions). Theoretically it would work, but knowing me... it probably wouldnt. I think I'll just stick with your directions... :P

thevikester wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
dito wrote: I did use 8 vertical guy wires (green wire clothes line from Walmart) just to help support the weight of the spirals on top of the vertical mega tree strings. I didn't attach to the guy wires though, since the spiral strings won't budge once they are laying on top of the megatree strings (the bulbs won't let them slide). About 1/3rd from the top, I do have a PVC ring to help hold the shape a tad better--that is attached to the above mentioned guy wires. Not sure if it was needed or not, but I included it. I probably would have a 2nd ring down lower too, but didn't this year.

Hey surf...what kind of lights did you use on your Mega...I had 96 strings of Mini's, but looking to move to C6 LED's as I'm changing a ton of stuff around next year? I"m thinking with probably 32 Red, 32 Green, and then 16 only on the spiral white...I will need 16 guy wires...to prevent sag, as it will be alot more weight than my minis incandescents. Your spiral sequence is great!

Mega vertical with 24 strings of white (8 wedges with 3 strings each), 24 Red, and 24 green of LED minis (60ct, from walmart).
Spiral tree with 32 strings white (2 strings end-to-end forming 16 lines). Also 60ct LED minis from walmart.

So 104 strings total.

Thanks for the compliments. I have some other songs that in my opinion are better spiral songs, but haven't been able to film them yet.

dito wrote:

Thank You VERY MUCH for the explanation. Makes a WHOLE lot more sense than what I did! that being said/done...Ok, just a crazy thought here (mostly because I outhink myself and am lazy). With nothing else attached (vertical lights),If I attach all the spiral lights at the top and bottom vertically (having the full length sag) then take my hook head and spin the hook head until I get two complete revolutions (considering I accounted for correct tree height and revolutions). Theoretically it would work, but knowing me... it probably wouldnt. I think I'll just stick with your directions... :P

Won't work. Too many of the lights will be towards the bottom since their sag would be laying on the ground to begin. So if you want the top half of the spiral to be nearly vertical, I guess you could use your approach. Trust me, the actual hanging of the lights on the spiral tree is the easiest part.

• 8 months later...