Light-O-Rama Forums

Am I missing something very simple?

Guest guest

JimB wrote:

EAB wrote:
Well, if it's steady, that means that it's connected to the PC. But, it's either 1. Not getting a good signal, or 2. Theres something wrong with the hardware utility.

I'm leaning towards the first... Bad wire or loose connection at the adapter. Make sure that thing isn't too loose... I breathe wrong on mine and my controllers disconnect...

I'm going to see if I have another USB adapter....

I can't believe I had one and found it so fast... Still didn't work.

John Paul wrote:

Turn the power off to your controller.

Turn the rotary switches to 00.

Turn the power on for 10 seconds.

Turn the power off.

Turn the rotary switches back to 01.

Power up and refresh - see if it finds the controller.

Doing it now

JimB wrote:

Why isn't the Hardware Utility finding the unit? How can it find the Comm port that it's on, but not the unit?

Because it sees that something is plugged into the com port but its not seeing your controller.

Jim,

Even though you stated that you loaded (copied) the hardware utility from the CD that came with your USB adapter, it is possible that the correct HWU is not being loaded when you click on the icon.

I believe the instructions tell you to copy into the LOR directory and replace the HWU that is in the directory. The operating system should have given a warning about overwriting at this point. Might be worth the effort to copy the file again and once copied, then launch from the directory that has the file.

Chuck

cmoore wrote:

Jim,

Even though you stated that you loaded (copied) the hardware utility from the CD that came with your USB adapter, it is possible that the correct HWU is not being loaded when you click on the icon.

I believe the instructions tell you to copy into the LOR directory and replace the HWU that is in the directory. The operating system should have given a warning about overwriting at this point. Might be worth the effort to copy the file again and once copied, then launch from the directory that has the file.

Chuck

Just tried it, no change.

Jim,

I've tried to read everything here. If your LED stays on when opening the HWU or when you open a sequence, then your computer and controller are talking to each other.

On your short sequence, does it actually play? Do you have music attached to that sequence? Is the "control lights" checked?

It sounds like you computer and controller are talking to each other which is a good thing.

Hummmmm

Tom

Go into your BIOS and see if the serial port is on auto or a fixed com port value. It helps to have a fixed value so everytime you restart it doesent have a chance to change. Also dont worry about the sequence editor now, the hardware utiliyt is maed for testing. It is easiyer to troubleshoot in the Hardware Utility then the sequence editor.

--Daniel L

Also try setting the dials to 10 not 01. Could be backwards, if it was the sequence editor would not reconize it. Like Tom just said, it IS talking, right now it looks to me like in correct unit ID's. Forget my com-port thing in the last post.

-Daniel L

Jim,

If you have not done so already, download the latest HWU from the LOR support page. www.lightorama.com ... As people have said, the fact the LED is going solid indicates you do have a connection (one way) to the controller.

Please confirm that your Hardware Utility has the MP3 tab at the top.

Daniel wrote:

Also try setting the dials to 10 not 01. Could be backwards, if it was the sequence editor would not reconize it. Like Tom just said, it IS talking, right now it looks to me like in correct unit ID's. Forget my com-port thing in the last post.

-Daniel L

I will check that when I get home.

LightORama wrote:

Jim,

If you have not done so already, download the latest HWU from the LOR support page. http://www.lightorama.com ... As people have said, the fact the LED is going solid indicates you do have a connection (one way) to the controller.

Was done previously, the MP3 tab is on top.

JimB wrote:

LightORama wrote:
Jim,

If you have not done so already, download the latest HWU from the LOR support page. http://www.lightorama.com ... As people have said, the fact the LED is going solid indicates you do have a connection (one way) to the controller.

Was done previously, the MP3 tab is on top.

Sorry if this is redundant: Check to see that the Hardware Utility's Auto Configure (top left) will locate your unit. If it does then we have two way comm. If it does not and because we have two way communication we most likely only have one way communication.

If you have two way communication (Auto Configure found the unit)

Connect only one controller to the PC. Only one Cat5 cable should be connected to the PC.

If we have two way communication (from the test above) then the Unit ID is not being read correctly.. Try rotating the switches around a couple of times and set it back to 01...

Then do a REFRESH... If the unit is not found then change the "Max Units" in the upper right hand corner to 240... Then do a refresh.

-------

If you only have one way communication from then:

Confirm: The LED is blinking on the controller until the Hardware Utility starts and then it stops blnking.

If the LED acts like it does above then you can still run a show but it sounds like you have a bad adapter and we will need to send you another one.

LightORama wrote:

Sorry if this is redundant: Check to see that the Hardware Utility's Auto Configure (top left) will locate your unit. If it does then we have two way comm. If it does not and because we have two way communication we most likely only have one way communication.

If you have two way communication (Auto Configure found the unit)

Connect only one controller to the PC. Only one Cat5 cable should be connected to the PC.

If we have two way communication (from the test above) then the Unit ID is not being read correctly.. Try rotating the switches around a couple of times and set it back to 01...

Then do a REFRESH... If the unit is not found then change the "Max Units" in the upper right hand corner to 240... Then do a refresh.

-------

If you only have one way communication from then:

Confirm: The LED is blinking on the controller until the Hardware Utility starts and then it stops blnking.

If the LED acts like it does above then you can still run a show but it sounds like you have a bad adapter and we will need to send you another one.

Auto Config finds the controller comm 4. Followed the rest of the instructions,...

no change.

Does the machine need to be USB 2? How do I tell what USB I have?

• 2 weeks later...

The problem was resolved.

I received GREAT customer service from LOR, they made sure I had a new unit before Christmas and it ended up being USER ERROR.

I was lining up the slot to turn the selector switch with 0 and 1 instead of the small marker on the switch.

Now that I had both units I hooked them both up, re-wired and re did my animations, all in two days (with the help of my two boys).

Thank you LOR!

Jim