Light-O-Rama Forums

16 channel spiral mega tree

Brett H.

reitan_family wrote:

It would be great if someone would post a day time pictures of one of there trees.

See here:

Scott T wrote:
Here is a guide I put together last year after construing my Spiral tree.

I will be rebuilding it this year, so I will take more pictures and maybe a video.

Good Luck!

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=258676

http://forums.lightorama.com/forum81/27437-1.html

Here ya go Brett.
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum82/29132-1.html

8ft PVC tree. Easy to follow direction. Took me about a couple of hours.

Be sure to only glue the rings and just set the uprights in place. That way you can take it apart and store it.

Here's a pic of mine (9 channels). I just threw it together. I'll work on it during the year and make it an even 16.

Brett H. wrote:

so after alot of back and forth we decided to use 35 count green c6 led lights. I am thinking of a 9 ft spiral tree with a 4 foot base or a 8 ft tree with a 5 ft base. do you think 4 feet on the base is big enough or do i go with the slightly shorter tree with a 5 foot base?

I used a 9ft PVC pole. At the top I put 8 steel eye bolts. I ran 16 ropes down to the ground, each one tied to a 12in stake driven into the dirt, 4.5 feet from the center. Then I tie-wrapped 16 strings of LED Multis (doubled). The height was calculated to give me 2 turns from top to bottom with the strings. It was just about perfect.

Still working on good video, but here's a an early test shot:

I'm going to try just pulling up the stakes and storing it "ready to setup" in the workshop, pole and all.

reitan_family wrote:

It would be great if someone would post a day time pictures of one of there trees.

As described above - you can see the rope and stakes and flat-black painted PVC. I tightened the rope pretty tight but still got some "necking" as I wrapped. Personally, I think it should have some taper rather than straight, but that is just personal preference.

Attached files 298221=16462-SpiralTree-Daylight.jpg

Jon that portable basketball hoop in the background would make a good pole for another spiral tree... even has a weighted base.

Brett H. wrote:

Jon that portable basketball hoop in the background would make a good pole for another spiral tree... even has a weighted base.

Brett, the reason it is even there is that I thought the same thing and planned to use it. Sadly, the weighted base sticks out farther than the base of my planned tree. I considered adding height to it, but then my strings wouldn't be long enough.

i have went out and got green LED c6 for the tree now. Returned the incans to wally world and found a good deal at fleet farm.Looking at building my own star for the top of the tree.

trafficman wrote:

$1.44 per box of 100 lights. Turn me on to that location.

it was $1.34 per box and all the whites and blues are now gone. The have lots and lots of 100 ct multi colored incans left. It is Chilton,WI wally world and they are $0.67 per box. Wished people would not buy all the lights on me. Wish they would have waited til 75% off and let me buy then they can have at it...lol

I could use Green, Red, White and Blue.. If they have any 100's left I will be willing to pay for any them. Just Pm me and let me know all the details.

• 9 months later...

brownjm thats a pretty bad-ass tree. I am wanting to do the exact same thing next year. Im still learning and reading. Havent bought any equipment yet. I have to say that is the best thing Ive seen a Spartan fan ever do. Great Job. Go Blue!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Day

I have enjoyed reading your posts. i am in my first year of working with the LOR lights. We are have a lot of fun. over the winter i would like to test and learn more about the spiral tree and the programing of it. I saw you have a sequence  that you maybe willing to share.

do you use LED lights or GRB lights and how many strings on on 8 foot tree?

I look forward to your reply

Dale

drwegener1@gmail.com

Dale, Earle is the bomb at spiral trees. He is very helpful and good at them. He was very informative for me and I am sure he will be to you as well. Thanks again Earle.