Light-O-Rama Forums

6803 vs. 2801

beeiilll

I see that the discussions are picking up on the using DMX and RGB or digital smart pixel strips.
It appears from what I have read so far that for the "intelligent" pixel strips that there are 6803 controllers chips (which is what the LOR CCR's use) and a 2801 controller chips.
I am not up on the protocols or implementations of either of these chips but am curious as to what are the advantages or disadvantages between them?
Or are there other chip controllers out there that may be better suited towards the ultimate goal of using the intelligent pixel strips with LOR?
I was scanning through Ray Wu's site last night looking at some of the 262 pages of LED strips - Boy!

Needless to say that now I am somewhat enlightened and more confused than ever. :D

This is all new for me but so interesting as to the possiblities that it offers us for really insane lighting displays.

It will be great to hear from those who are actively using or testing these now as to how they work.
Thanks
Bill

Awwwwww Shame on you Bill you didnt watch all the videos I posted did you. LOL One of them goes into great depth on the different chips and what they mean as well as a good clip on the fading difference and why that happens.:D

It's this one I believe........

Oh man, I'm not worthy. :{

Sorry about that. I am meaning to go watch them though. Just got to excited and caught up in this I guess.

Bad Bill, Bad Bill !!!!

I'm going back to my basment now and reflect on my actions and unbridled haste at jumping ahead of things.

Well actually I am building a couple of candy cane spinners this morning as I found 16 candy canes that I had forgotten all about last night under a spare bedroom bed!

But I PROMISE to watch the videos and keep quiet till I have absorbed more (more what I can't say at this point :D:D)

I just watched a couple of the videos and my head is spinning. Hey Bill, put down the canes and watch the videos, you won't need to build the spinner!:D

Yea, I know. But the spinners are kind of fun and I have the things to do them without having to spend any money (which I don't have any of anyway!).

So just to prove that I have actually been working this morning, here are a couple of pictures of the spinners so far. I only need to cut a couple of more pieces of wood for stiffeners and mounting points and these will be good to go.

See being a bored and depressed person sometimes has advantages for me !!

Attached files 294211=16234-ccspinner1.jpg

Thanks

Nothing fancy or elaborate like pixel strings, but at least it is 2 more elements to put out there and say "Hey look, I added more blinky stuff!". LOL

Okay, back to work and then I will watch some videos.

Now I'm jealous, I'm stuck in Disney channel torture right now and have been since 6:30 this morning. Although i will say that Finies and Ferb is awesome, those kids can build anything. My wife is working until 9 tonight so I'm stuck with our 15 month old alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long. Somebody help me please! I need adult contact.

harrison0550 wrote:

Now I'm jealous, I'm stuck in Disney channel torture right now and have been since 6:30 this morning. Although i will say that Finies and Ferb is awesome, those kids can build anything. My wife is working until 9 tonight so I'm stuck with our 15 month old alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long. Somebody help me please! I need adult contact.

Hey you got it easy there buddy!

I'm not married so I have to babysit myself all day everyday! Man do I cause a lot of mischief and trouble around here - LOL

Really have to wonder how I have not burned the house down some days! :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get back to some real on topic data here :

I have both.
The 2801 chip is better technically speaking.

6803 has a max of 256 shades of grey or 15 bit color vs 24 bit color on the 2801.

The more levels you have, the more colors you can make.

For me its really not an issue because I'm not looking for 16 million colors - In fact I usually just want Red, Green, Blue, sometimes purple and white, but really dont use the rest of the spectrum.

How bright your actual light is depends more on the LED than the driver chip.

They both work well, and they both are easy to convert to DMX.

This is what I believe is the actual difference between 6803 & 2801 based on my searches. Please correct me if wrong:

5 bits per color (32 shades per color/32,768 colors)

8 bits per color (256 shades per color/16 million colors)

Cracker wrote:

This is what I believe is the actual difference between 6803 & 2801 based on my searches. Please correct me if wrong:

5 bits per color (32 shades per color/32,768 colors)

8 bits per color (256 shades per color/16 million colors)

Cracker, you are absolutely correct. And it makes a big difference when dimming. The CCR is a 6803, but the controller makes it act more like a 2801 as far as dimming goes!

Donny

Light O Rama needs to make controllers available for different pixel modules and allow for user customization such as the number of pixels per controller and the type of pixel node that is being used.

Example a user may only need 30 pixel nodes for a wire frame or to go around a window. In another location, 40 nodes or 10 nodes. Often pre-made pixel sets are either too long or too short and sometimes not useable for a given application.

• 1 month later...

I have watched dmoores demo on the chip comparison but was wondering if anyone has done a side by side comparison of these two chip types in a ribbon? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the dimming differences between these two chips. I am on the fence as to which to use for my arches.

Thanks

greg

Hi Steve
If you look close you will see the cords and plugs hanging down the back side.
These are the standard mini lights style candy canes. Nothing fancy. I had picked them up from a dollar store on an after Christmas sale day a couple of years ago.
I just happened to find them hidden under a spare room bed while doing some searching and thought that it would be a nice quick project to make the spinners with them.
They worked good for the display so now I want to make them bigger and double the amount of canes on each one! Though I have thought that I may use some 2 color (red and green) rope light to make extra sections in between each set of candy canes. Only trouble would be that it would make each spinner use 16 channels! Yikes!
But it would look pretty cool.

Jeff,

Would you say it is worth a $250 price difference between the two. I usually don't use a long dim on my arches and that is what I am looking to replace. Put it this way I would like to get the 2801's but then I need to cut something else out of the budget as per the wife.:? Still debating on shich route to take.

Jeff,

Sorry should have been a little clearer. The comparison I was looking for was ray wu's between 6803 and 2801 strips, not the CCR. The price difference on his site for me is about $250 between the two with what I am looking at getting. Sorry for the confusion.