Light-O-Rama Forums

When will LOR's be ready to purchase again?

Guest guest

Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to when LOR's will be available for purchase again. Like Jan? Feb? etc.

Also, do you think the price will go up with all of the latest attention they have been getting?

Thanks

llbarnes wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to when LOR's will be available for purchase again. Like Jan? Feb? etc.

Also, do you think the price will go up with all of the latest attention they have been getting?

Thanks

There will be more stock in the January / February time frame. Hobbyist stuff will be available first.

We will have a sale in April. Those will be the lowest prices of 2006. The question of price increases is a good one. Any price increases (excluding software) will be after the sale in April. I will tell you that some of the parts have increased as much as 35% since we originally set prices on the controllers other things we purchase have not changed at all.

The LOR II software will be more expensive (but will be a free upgrade to existing users).

"The LOR II software will be more expensive (but will be a free upgrade to existing users). "

this might be good spot for a question. I bought my set up second hand, from a PC member, will I be entitled to a free upgrade? I will pay if needed but free is better.

Good question andy. I would say that to be fair maybe dan will have a cost for 2nd hand users of LOR. When you start getting into second had software there may be a problem because how can dan KNOW that the original user STILL does not have a copy of the software and is able to use it?? Not saying that there are dishonest peopler here, but just playing devil'd advocate. Another question is will Dan be doing a Layaway plan for next year?? lol So basically when I get my tax money back try NOT to buy LOR controllers and just put it away till April. We always get our taxes done the first week in February, we DEF need the money back from uncle sam. lol

i was just wondering what some of the new boards will be that are coming out I read some where on the old board that there was a 64 channel board coming out ...is there? if so can we get a ball park estimate on price.

Dale L

Dale Leady wrote:

i was just wondering what some of the new boards will be that are coming out I read some where on the old board that there was a 64 channel board coming out ...is there? if so can we get a ball park estimate on price.

We have been talking a lot (internally) about a card with more than 16 channels. If we do make one it will not be like the CTB16s or CTB08s... The final form factor has not been decided on. We will have a new MC-P card that is 32 channels and can be the basis of a 32 channel controller. As soon as we know we will let you all know.

LightORama wrote:

The LOR II software will be more expensive (but will be a free upgrade to existing users).

[align=center]HINT HINT HINT!

Get in on the ground floor now and get the free upgrade![/align]

So...is it safe to assume that if I want/need a controller so that I can set up a Valentine's light display in my business, that I might be out of luck for this upcoming February? I usually would build my display in early to mid January...

Daniel wrote:

What is the free upgrade? Is it just software? Or do you send us a add-on for the hardware?

--Daniel L

Software only. Dan has had updates to the firmware, but for most, this is not an issue. IMO, the hardware really needs no improvement. ;)

Dan, just a thought though, have you looked into having optional weatherproof cases made for the CTB08 and CTB16D hobbyist boards. I am sure a lot of people would love to have a custom case with the LOR logo emblazed on it to house their controllers. I sure would. My Rubbermaid and Gladware containers just don't do them justice.:laughing:

Glenn Koenig wrote:

Dan, just a thought though, have you looked into having optional weatherproof cases made for the CTB08 and CTB16D hobbyist boards. I am sure a lot of people would love to have a custom case with the LOR logo emblazed on it to house their controllers. I sure would. My Rubbermaid and Gladware containers just don't do them justice.:laughing:

He does, it's called Showtime ;).

-Tim

I Dont have LOR yet but boy I sure would like to get a free upgrade and save money. Hopefully I can have the money soon just to buy the software for the free upgrade to LOR II and buy the controllers when they go on sale in April

We have been talking a lot (internally) about a card with more than 16 channels.

Maybe in my lifetime, somebody will make the quantum leap and offer something that can control thousands of lights individually! And better yet wirelessly! This would allow for running lights, starbursts, and even animated sign boards.

A lot of miniturization needs to happen between now and then, I imagine. :{

Sorry, just fantasizing out loud...

NewHorizon wrote:

Maybe in my lifetime, somebody will make the quantum leap and offer something that can control thousands of lights individually! And better yet wirelessly! This would allow for running lights, starbursts, and even animated sign boards.

A lot of miniturization needs to happen between now and then, I imagine. :{

Sorry, just fantasizing out loud...

I also would love to see it happen but there are a number of issues to overcome. If you expect to draw any significant power then you cannot miniaturize too much because you need to get rid of heat. If you have a controller with 1000 channels then you are guaranteed that channels will start to fail. MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) becomes short when you have a thousand of something, even when the individual components are reliable. Add on top of that operator errors, short circuits in wires, Twist a C9 bulb and it twists in the socket and short circuits... on and on....

So can it be done? (anything can be done)... Is it practical? (not sure)... Would I like to see it happen? (Yes).

Is the software update coming out before april? I am definitely planning on buying--was gonna wait for the sale. I would like to buy the current version of the software and get the free upgrade, but was wondering if i'd be entitled to it if i buy it in april?

Colin

If you expect to draw any significant power then you cannot miniaturize too much because you need to get rid of heat.

Yeah, I figured. But LEDs draw far less power, of course, than say C9s. So if you stick to controlling only LEDs, that oughtta make the electrical engineering of a single-bulb controller a bit easier? (Disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer. Not even close.) And LEDs are DC (not AC), right? Does that simplify things too in terms of the electronic circuitry? And of course the LEDs last tons longer, so there's less of a chance of folks wrecking sockets during bulb-changes.

As for MTBFs: well, most of us willingly relegate ourselves to the MTBF rates of the (non-LED) light bulbs anyway - which I consider to be kinda high. So in my mind, you're already ahead of the game if the MTBF rates of the controllers are better than the MTBF rates of incandescent bulbs! (But of course I also understand that a controller would be far more expensive than an incandescent bulb. So that'd affect how many failures a customer would tolerate.)

[line]
Separately ...

I find I have the same question as cdshakes: If I buy in April, would I (a) get the same version of the software that's out there now (2005) and (:) get the free upgrade later?

Cdshakes wrote:

Is the software update coming out before april? I am definitely planning on buying--was gonna wait for the sale. I would like to buy the current version of the software and get the free upgrade, but was wondering if i'd be entitled to it if i buy it in april?

Here is the deal on the software:

I do not have an exact date of the release. I will not be putting the software on sale in April :?(all controllers will be on sale;))...

As mentioned before, the price of the software will go up with the release of LOR II. We will give people fair notice of the release of LOR II and the opportunity to purchase software prior to the price increase. Also to anyone who purchases the software, we will upgrade that purchase to a Starter Kit with the purchase of their first controller.

When LOR II is released it will be a free upgrade to anyone that has a valid copy of LOR software.