Light-O-Rama Forums

Would This Damage anything?

Guest guest

If I took the new boards that I will be ordering over the 2006 year and mounted them to a big piece of wood, is there any thing that I could damage on the boards? And that would be with Heat sinks installed. If I can find enclosure at a resonable price for the 16 channels board to fit into then I will put all boards into an enclose and then mount the boards onto the piece of wood. The reason I am asking is because this is what I would like to do for 2006 and then run all of my cords straight out of our garage window. This 1 protects the boards from the weather, and 2 protects them for the most part from theft. I just wanted to see if anyone else had other methods that may work also.

Look for an electronics surplus store in your city. You can also use one of the larger online/mail-order sites like Mouser or Jameco, etc. The only problem with ordering that way is the shipping, so try and find a few items you need to make it worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on how you plan on mounting the circuit card to the plywood there are 2 methods that would serve as stand offs.

If you plan on using screw from the front through the circuit card into the plywood then something like short pieces of tubing can be used as standoffs. Even a few hex nuts stacked will work as a stand off.

If you plan on running screws from the rear of the plywood then you can just use a longer screw. Place a nut on the screw to secure to the plywood. Then place another nut on the stud (screw), then the circuit card and then finally secure with a nut on top of the circuit card.

I hope this will help.

Chuck

I've been watching this thread and thinking about mounting the controller(s) I plan to buy.

If you don't mount them inside a NEMA rated enclosure (or equivalent) and they are permanently wired to your residence, wouldn't you be in NEC violation in almost all US locales?

I plan to buy a five pack of LOR 16 channel controllers (likely in April, if that's when the sale is). As I've looked around at enclosures that are proper for electrical 110V AC 'junctions' and/or equipment, even $40-$70 'bargains' online end up being $70-$100 after shipping.

Considering buying an (internal) electrical load center from Lowes or Home depot (200 amp for the size - $78.00+tax) and gutting the electrical load interior, then mounting the 5 controllers (with probable room for 1 more in a 2x3 configuration) within.

Downside to this mounting strategy (for central location in the garage) is the increased wire runs to where the receptacles are needed about the house. I plan on mounting the GFCI receptacles over the bench in the garage, and then continuing the circuits to receptacles within reach of the foundation vents underneath the house. I'll modify 2-3 of those vents to be accessible from outside, and design some sort of weather protection when they are in use for Christmas lights.

I assume that GFCI circuit protection to the controller would not equal GFCI protection to the 8/16 channels.

Thoughts on a gutted load center vs. other solutions?

Moving Target in NC

Home made stand offs are simple.take a Bic pen that no longer works and remove everything until you have only the white tube.using a pair of dykes,or something that will cut the tube,cut it into the desired length.I use anywhere from .5 inch to .75 inch.

Cheap simple and almost EVERYONE has a bic pen in the house that doesent work lol.