Light-O-Rama Forums

Ccr help.....power issues

bigmur007

Today 9 of my 12 ccrs won't power up. I can switch the power supply from 1 of the 3 that are working and the controllers will work. I have had them all plugged in for 2 weeks with no problem until a couple of nights ago and 1 started acting up so i unplugged them last night. Plugged them in today and 9 have no power but i can hear the power supplies clicking. it is colder tonight about 15 below celsius, would the power packs not work if they are too cold? They are in a sealed cabinet but cold? Need help has anyone come across this.
Also just noticed 3 or 4 are getting a faint red light steaking across the ribbon but no power or status light on any of the contrllers that dont work.

There have been several reports of suspected CCR power supply issues. And I think there are several people who suspect cold weather to be the cause.

Personally, I had a power supply issue I thought was due to cold temps. But ultimately it appeared to be caused by leaving my generator running when our power came back on after a heavy snow. 2 of my 4 CCRs were out there blinking at 1AM. I fought the issue for about an hour. Eventually I gave up worrying about the lights and realized I never shut the generator off. Once the generator was off, they cleared right up.

While in the fault condition the CCR power supply led was sort of blinking once every couple seconds. Each time the power supply LED came on strong the CCR would blink.

Good luck.

The green light on the power supplies do seem to have a faint blink every few seconds but almost like its not getting enough power to turn on. I think i might try a heater in the enclosure to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the quick response

bigmur007 wrote:

The green light on the power supplies do seem to have a faint blink every few seconds but almost like its not getting enough power to turn on.

I was old by LOR that if the led on the power supply was blinking then it was bad but for 9 to go at once seems too Coincidental.

update.
laid a heating pad over the power supplies, after an hour i have 7 out of 12 back up and running. wouldn't have thought cold weather would make a difference but it seems to be. hopefully the other 5 come back soon. looks awful with just over half working. if they do come back up i think i might purchase a few strip of heat tape and keep them nice and toasty warm. maybe take them a cup of hot chocolate. :D

bigmur007 wrote:

i have renamed my ribbons, they are my little princesses. cause when they work they sure are pretty but the maintenance is way to high.

ha, now that is some funny stuff... but very VERY true!!

For next year I think I am going to change out my CCR Power Supplies and use a single 12v outdoor rated Malibu lighting transformer. I will have to make custom cables (nothing new there, just different ends on them). Since they will all be in the same area I don't expect there to be any problems.

Here is a transformer that should be able to handle up to 12 CCR's without any real issues. Just don't use the timer on it.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=202059604&catEntryId=202059604

JoeKinne wrote:

For next year I think I am going to change out my CCR Power Supplies and use a single 12v outdoor rated Malibu lighting transformer. I will have to make custom cables (nothing new there, just different ends on them). Since they will all be in the same area I don't expect there to be any problems.

Here is a transformer that should be able to handle up to 12 CCR's without any real issues. Just don't use the timer on it.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=202059604&catEntryId=202059604

"Use the Malibu Low Voltage Outdoor 45-Watt Digital Transformer to supply electricity to your landscape lighting setup and to reduce the standard 120-volt household current to 12 VAC"

You might want to check the power supply rating for the CCR, I believe it is 12 VDC...

It is confirmed, i put a small space heater in the cabinet where my power supplies are and the ribbons are all working perfect.

note for anyone in cold climates -15 Celsius seems to be where the power supplies start acting up.

bigmur007 wrote:

It is confirmed, i put a small space heater in the cabinet where my power supplies are and the ribbons are all working perfect.

note for anyone in cold climates -15 Celsius seems to be where the power supplies start acting up.

Well, it's good to know I guess anyway. We haven't got that low yet, but it's coming. I think I'll try some heat tape as well for a precaution. Thanks for the tip! :P

That's an issue if you ask me. I'm looking at CCRs to add to my display next year, but this may keep me from adding them. Is LOR aware of the issue? I'm wondering if they are considering a PS change, or other options (customizable runs from the PS to the CCRs so the supplies can be pulled inside) to avoid this issue.

• The topic was locked