Light-O-Rama Forums

Double sided rgb strips?

harrison0550

God I love all this talk about pixels and strips !!

I'm getting kinda excited - but in a nice, warm fuzzy feeling kind of way - LOL

Which is probably a good thing since I just spent 2-1/2 hours standing in an ice covered lake fixing a broken water line. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I can't wait to see and learn how this stuff is going. I am interested in it as well and this works good knowing who is working on what so that we don't have 25 different people all buying the same strip and running the same tests.
This should help to keep different things in check and we will all know what does what as well as maybe we can get a volume buy going early to mid next year and save us all a little bit of money on doing this.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harrison0550

• beeiilll

• edvas69

• Steven

beeiilll wrote:

God I love all this talk about pixels and strips !!

I'm getting kinda excited - but in a nice, warm fuzzy feeling kind of way - LOL

Which is probably a good thing since I just spent 2-1/2 hours standing in an ice covered lake fixing a broken water line. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I can't wait to see and learn how this stuff is going. I am interested in it as well and this works good knowing who is working on what so that we don't have 25 different people all buying the same strip and running the same tests.
This should help to keep different things in check and we will all know what does what as well as maybe we can get a volume buy going early to mid next year and save us all a little bit of money on doing this.

What's up with the water line in a lake all about?

scubado wrote:

What's up with the water line in a lake all about?

A nameless soul that was supposed to shut off and drain a camp here forgot to turn off the shutoff key as well as the valve at the house, so when the lake froze last night - Bam -broken water line to the house.

Had to chip the ice out of the shutoff and then cut and splice the water line back together. Used a generator to thaw the line and allow it to drain back so now should be good to go till it gets turned back on in the spring.

scubado wrote:

Anyone hear from LOR when their CCB's are going to be available? I just realized the PDU page is gone, or is the link moved?

This link: http://www.lightorama.com/pdu/ is still very much alive.

Just checked and it's still there, but last update was 10/25/2011 about controllers trickling in. Other than that and some older stuff dated back to 11/29/2011. Nothing really new there.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Incidentally, Ray does have some double sided strips...

Ran across it when I was putting together a wish list (In other words, a guess list)

Jeff

I knew it I knew it I knew I am not going crazy. To bad they are not rgb and only 3mm long. That's probably why I never saw them again as every search I did looking for them included the letters rgb. I wonder if that is something we could request from Ray or if it's even possible. Im not real sure of the manufacturing process to make these but I've read that a lot of the soldering and final assemble are done by hand and if they are it seems to reason he may could put 2 strips back to back and seal them up. If not I think we have pretty much figured out how to make them anyway.

harrison0550 wrote:

I posted these in another thread but they will answer some questions for you Bill.

Okay Master Jedi<

I have watched the videos and am somewhat enlightened on it all now.
I may still be confused, but I feel that it is on a much higher level - LOL

I see the vast differences now and some of what the shortcomings are as well as the different advantages.

Interesting is an understatement.
Now that I see somewhat better on this stuff I guess I will go to Micro Pixels (http://response-box.com/rgb/) and go through what he is doing with Art-Net II or E1.31 ethernet and see if I get more insight.

Lots to learn, but fun to study.

Bill

hahahahaha me Jedi? That could be cool. I'm learning all this as well right now. I actually think I found those videos on this forum but they were buried in a link to the Ausie site http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php
(which is full of awesome info as well) but because it was buried a little it got looked over for the most part. They are awesome videos to say the least. As for the other videos with LOR directions he does a lot of reviews for CDI products so his youtube channel is a great resource for info as well. My only contribution to this so far is gathering spread around the web info and trying to put it all together in one place. If you find some good info on the E1.31 please link it back here as I would be interested in learning more about it as well and havnt had the chance to read up on it yet.
It's gonna be a fun year!

They are mostly the same except for the weatherproofing; the first one has a flexible epoxy coating and the second one has been inserted into a square tube, similar to LOR's Cosmic Color Ribbon.

The square tube version is the best, in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and happy new year. I wanted to drop back in and post my findings on the rgb "dumb" strips I ordered and hopefully Bill and Jeff will post their findings as well. So far I have ordered 4 different strips from 4 different suppliers and surprisingly enough the strip from eBay turned out some of the best colors. I was on the Aussie forums chat and a user said he thought he had problems with that same exact strip being waterproof so I figured if we are going to test these things we might as well really test these things so below is pictures of the strip in my tub after an hour of soaking and still submerged.
gedc0278w.jpg
gedc0280.jpg
gedc0286.jpg
gedc0287.jpg

gedc0290j.jpg

For whatever reason the red turned out looking more orange in the pic than it actually is. The red is actually a very solid red color and is probably my favorite color from this strip. The blue is impressive as well when compared to other strips I've seen that come out looking more like a teal or baby blue. I will put them up against some of my c7 LEDs and compare the colors and take some pics later this week. Now where is your results on the 2801 stuff Jeff? Oh and why is your PM disabled? Also I've ordered 3 different controllers to test fading and color mixing with but being that right now is currently Chinese New Year it will be a few weeks before I get those in as well but once they are in I will post up some video. RGB here we come lol.

Harrison0550,

Great test and pics!

Are those tube or solid silicone? Do you have the actual eBay listing you ordered from?

Nice pictures Andy and Thanks for the info on your testing to date. Of course now I'm sure your wife is a little suspicious of why you are spending so much time in the bathroom! LOL

I am waiting on my order of strips which says they are supposed to get here in about 2 weeks or so. Then I will be able to tinker a little and see how these work as well. I ordered them before the New Year break over there so hopefully they are in transit and on the way here.

@Flogger, they are the ones coated in some kind of polymer, epoxy, silicon or whatever it is. They don't have the tube. Also the eBay listing is the one scubado posted earlier in this thread.

@Bill, yea she was asleep when I did that lol didn't want to freak her out if for some reason they weren't waterproof and I got some magic smoke I didn't want her to know about it. It's better sometimes to ask forgiveness than permission. Hahaha

Well good thing she was asleep then - LOL!
Or it could have been real exciting if there had been a problem and she woke up to a smoke detector going off and you trying to be nonchalant about things and saying "Oh nothing honey, just go back to sleep".

That may be why I am still single and I have several large fire extinguishers sitting around the house. :shock::shock::shock:
I am always doing strange experiments with things. People love to drive by my house and see me dragging something large and dangerous looking around towards the back yard for a test. I actually had a couple of guys that I have worked with before run down to the local store and grab a 12 pack and come back and park. They wanted to see some fire and smoke!

Glad to hear that these are the strips that scubado had listed too as they are the ones that I ordered.
Now I am really getting ancy to get my hands on them and play with them.

Yea I was a little shocked at how good the colors were on the cheapest strip I ordered. So used to buying stuff over here in the states where quality equals a premium price. Apparently over there quality just varies from manufacturer. I'm really pleased with the seller as well. He's name is Ben I think and he speaks/types very good English. When he gets back from holiday he said he would check with his supplier on prices for both the 2801 and 6803 strips. I also ask him about bulk/case discounts and he offered me a great price with free upgraded dhl shipping but I won't post it as I have no intention of doing any type of group buy just in case the quality varies from my test order to the full order I don't want to be held responsible for any strip issues you know. But with my initial communication with him I would recommend him. Also the wire colors were actually correct for red,blue, and green.

scubado wrote:

I am trying to understand this rgb stuff. Will the above referenced lights work hooked directly to an lor dc board without any of the other cheap dmx controllers such as the ones from Holiday Coro or Alli Express? Right now I am interested in the RGB , (whole string rather than each pixel control). Sorry for the interuption of the thread . Would appreciate and help on this. Thanks.

Joe Rayburn wrote:

scubado wrote:

I am trying to understand this rgb stuff. Will the above referenced lights work hooked directly to an lor dc board without any of the other cheap dmx controllers such as the ones from Holiday Coro or Alli  Express? Right now I am interested in the RGB , (whole string rather than each pixel control). Sorry for the interuption of the thread . Would appreciate and help on this. Thanks.

Hi Joe

Yes those will work with the LOR CMB16D DC controller (well at least they better since I have some of them on order and am awaiting their arrival :))!
But these are some of the so called "dumb" RGB strings that are out there. A couple of other people here on the forum have gotten these strings and are currently testing them as well.

Of course you have to wait till after the 1st of February to order any of these as it is Chinese New Year and they are all off right now.

jeffl wrote:

Pauls also doesn't say how many LEDS per meter