Light-O-Rama Forums

Pinwheel test

DMONK

My home town had none and I thought I was out of luck but traveled to Portales, NM to visit my daughter and scored 12 at Walmart for 1.47 each.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• fxdwg

• DMONK

• WhitePlainsNY

• 3 months later...

George Simmons wrote:

Here ya go - hope it helps...

George,

How's that attached to the house? Looks like you might have a ceiling bike hook tucked underneath the siding. I'm working on a couple of these pinwheels this weekend and trying to decide if I need to attach anything else to the wire fencing to help with installation later.

Yes, that is a bike hook screwed in there, but I use it for other stuff, not the pinwheel.

Usually, what I do for the pinwheels (and spinners) is drive in two nails, level, two or three feet apart and hang from them. Both the house and garage there's wood underneath the siding which makes it real convenient. YMMV

George Simmons wrote:

Yes, that is a bike hook screwed in there, but I use it for other stuff, not the pinwheel.

Usually, what I do for the pinwheels (and spinners) is drive in two nails, level, two or three feet apart and hang from them. Both the house and garage there's wood underneath the siding which makes it real convenient. YMMV

Great. Saved me some extra work (was gonna over-engineer something). Thanks for the tip.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! Now if I could Just convince my buddy to do that at his house! I've been trying for the last few years to convert his Candycanes to that but, he hasn't bit yet!!!!

Maybe this year!

• 4 weeks later...

This makes me wish I would have purchased a box full of candy cane lights at the end of the last holiday season. Great job on the pinwheel.

I just finished making one of these. I used a center 'hub' made from a 2x8, some 1/2" PVC elect conduit.

Attached files 320107=17472-candy cane spinner 006.jpg

Since we're sharing, here's mine :(

Construction photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.267156336714257.58327.161583510604874&type=1

Simple video test:

Note the fencepost/controller setup in these pics was rigged just for the test - it will be neater and more substantial for the real deal.

• 1 month later...

I see everyone is using 12 channels +. Anyone try with 8? Its all I have left of my 96. Maybe 2 candy canes per channel? Im just worried it would take away from the effect. Any thoughts?

Since we're sharing, here's mine :)

Construction photos:

https://www.facebook...10604874&type=1

Simple video test:

https://www.facebook...v=3755128724005

Note the fencepost/controller setup in these pics was rigged just for the test - it will be neater and more substantial for the real deal.

Looks great!! I'll be using this.

Eight channels should work just fine as long as you keep in mind the chases might need to be a bit faster than you might initially think in order to keep a smooth "motion" perspective for the human eye. If you've got the candy canes to spare, using 2 per channel (opposite each other on the pinwheel as opposed to next to each other) will give it a nice full look. Have fun!

• 1 month later...

hi linda,

it is one dimentional. one big triangle then broken up to ten smaller. a plain colour and a multi colour on each trinagle making 20 channels.

Correct , chicken wire over entire frame , then just measure it out.

Re the pin wheel - we are using 64 channels , 16 for each red, white, blue and green. We can also get good effect of mixing the 4 colours aswell.

• The topic was locked