Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR running in Parallels on a Mac

enraginangel

I'm running LOR just fine in Parallels but I can't run the show without bootcamping into Windows. Has anyone been able to run the show in Parallels? I think it doesn't have the correct USB drivers or something.

I ran my show last year in Parallels and don't recall any major problems. I don't remember doing anything special. I switched to a Windows pc this year for the show to stay out of my teenage son's evening study time. However, I am having some issues with the aged PC and will switch back to the Mac tomorrow night after his last exam.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong then. I get a USB error saying the port is in use.

It's not the end of the world that I have to bootcamp it, but it is nice to run some Mac programs alongside LOR.

I'm using Parallels.

Are you using your bootcamp install w/ Parallels? Or a separate Parallels VM?

1st, double check your drivers/Parallels USB settings. When you plug in the 485 adapter you should get the 'Windows or Mac' dialog. Choose Windows.

If you don't get that dialog, go into the VM hardware options, culprit is probably that it's being auto set for Mac.

2st, make sure you're using the appropriate driver for either x86 or x64 Windows [probably not an issue if you're using the same BC install in Parallels and the BC install works].

3st, make sure you run Hardware Utility under Parallels. The COMM settings will likely be different between Parallels and bootcamp.

Hope it helps! I have a separate laptop that I've been running my shows on, but I do all of the sequences (and hardware testing/setup) in OSX/Parallels.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you able to get the waveform / vu wizard to work in parallels?

Mine doesn't, and I can't think of anything other than that which might be causing the problems. It is a basic Win XP install that is fully up to date on service packs & Windows Updates, and does not have a lot of 'weird stuff' installed.

Wave form and VU Wizard work perfectly fine. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate in Parallels Bootcamp.

I should run the hardware utility to check if that works, but I keep forgetting. I've taken down my display for the year so I'll have to test it later.

enraginangel wrote:

Wave form and VU Wizard work perfectly fine. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate in Parallels Bootcamp.

I should run the hardware utility to check if that works, but I keep forgetting. I've taken down my display for the year so I'll have to test it later.

Taken down your display BEFORE Christmas??? I don't understand???

Okay that was a false alarm. Based on a suggestion from I another thread, I loaded my mp3 up in Audacity (windows version) and saved it out as a wav, which then allowed the beat detector, vu wizard, and waveform to display. Weird.

Anyway, with that part worked out, it means I have been able to do everything, including controling the actual hardware from with parallels.

Okay, I used the hardware utility and at first it didn't work. I unplugged the device and put it in the other USB port and things worked out. I'll just run the show in Parallels for next year.

patrickj's suggestion was indeed the right troubleshooting tip!