Light-O-Rama Forums

Got Replacement CCR Controller...

jimswinder

I received my replacement CCR Controller this past Thursday, so decided to take down my CCR tree to see if I could repair my one CCR ribbon that was not working (and that I had tried to repair previously).

After trying to re-solder the 16 pin thingie, it still didn't work...but I noticed if I pressed down on it, that it would work. So I put a small, thin, piece of wood behind the ribbon and zip-tied it down to the webbing I had it hooked to..and lo and behold..it works!!! So I put a generous amount of silicone into and over the black 15 pin thingie, the zip tie and the protective cover I slit open to get to the "thingie".

Waited for it to dry..and it still worked..so put ti back on my CR tree..put ti back up..hooked up my new controller, ran it thru the re-set cycle, and all seemed Hunky Dorey in Winderville!!!!!!

Until that night and I was watching the show...when it came to the first CCR song...ribbon was flashing all over the place...not doing what it was supposed to do. Well, I thought...my "fix" did no fix it...the Winder Curse continues...

But today I was thinking it that the ribbon was acting more like a bad controller...and not a bad ribbon...so got up on the roof again..ran it thru a re-set again... which it did no problem, but still would not play right with a sequence. So I thought I would switch controllers..and lo and behold my "fixed" ribbon worked, the other ribbon on the NEW controller I just received from LOR, did not!!

What are the chances I would get a defective controller from LOR to replace another controller I had that was also defective??

Million to one?

More like One to One when you have the Winder Curse.... :shock:

[LOR] Ring... Ring... Hello, LightORama.

[Jim] Yes, my thingy is broken. I have tried a thin piece of wood, zip ties, and generous amount of silicone. I noticed if I press on it, my thingy will work.

[LOR] Sir, were you trying to call a dating company or doctor?

BrownOut wrote:

LOL...

I was hoping to get both with one call!!! :)

bwhitehead wrote:

Jim, Did you put it in Nomral mode vs legacy?
I have had one of my CCR controllers jump out of normal mode from a short in the CCR ribbon once this season. I can't explain it- it just did. You have a very good point.

bwhitehead wrote:

I didn't put it into any mode...just changed the controller id...

will look at that this evening

THANKS!!

Well...as everyone has long suspected, the Winder Curse is really just stupidity on my part!!!

Both the CCR Controller I THOUGHT was broken and the one LOR so kindly replaced it with were both set to Legacy Mode.

After changing one back to Normal Mode and putting it into service, my CCR tree is working FLAWLESSLY!!!!

Now if my repair of the one CCR lasts all season I'll be a happy camper!!

So if you are experiencing the same problem...check to see if it is in Legacy Mode or Normal Mode

Here is how you do it:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/QuickStartGuideForColorRibbon.pdf

jimswinder wrote:

BrownOut wrote:
I was hoping to get both with one call!!! :P

What if she's a proctologist?

jimswinder wrote:

Well...as everyone has long suspected, the Winder Curse is really just stupidity on my part!!!

Suspected? What do you mean suspected? Seems to me it's been about two years now since we established the Jinswinder School of Surviving Self-Inflicted Wounds. :D

I'll wager you first round at the next mini that we cross paths that someone previously suggested legacy mode as one of your possible ailments.

Note to Dan B - charge this man TRIPLE next time! :P

George Simmons wrote:

I'll wager you first round at the next mini that we cross paths that someone previously suggested legacy mode as one of your possible ailments.

Don't think I will EVER show my face at another mini...EVER!!! :D

Mark Showalter wrote:

Jim... Jim... Jim... if only you had gone to a good school. Not that icky U o' Dub. Go Cougs!

Glad your CCR and tree are functioning again.:D

Didn't go the UW....

actually Central Washington University...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a replacement and it lasted less the 1 day worked last night but tonight after 3 hours it is all on no control. I just tested it without the network and all on no flashing holding the reset just ON

• 2 weeks later...

bwhitehead wrote:

I'm about to purchase about 10 CCRs for 2012....what's the deal with legacy mode? I'm a noob with CCRs at the moment...:)

DLTSLC wrote:

bwhitehead wrote:

I'm about to purchase about 10 CCRs for 2012....what's the deal with legacy mode? I'm a noob with CCRs at the moment...:)

Ordering 10 CCR's?

Then I am sure you have read and studied the CCR manual in advance ?

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CosmicColorPixel_Man_Web.pdf

normal vs legacy determines how the CCRs are set up in the sequence editor

That makes sense - thanks for explaining :D

Too bad they can't just standardize it and just put it in Standard mode by default.

• The topic was locked