Light-O-Rama Forums

Some songs getting out of sync about 3/4 way through

Guest guest

Hi all,
I have about 9 sequences running on a 16 channel LOR controller. Most of the songs play very well. I have a couple, mainly the upbeat ones (TSO Carol of bells, and and a techno Jingle bells) that seem to get out of synch about 3/4 way through. The lights seem to get ahead of the music. When I play it on the sequencer with the graphic preview the timing looks fine. When I play in live I have the issue. I have opened and resaved them a few times, but no help. Has anyone else seen this, and have any suggestion. I am hoping to create a possible video to share this weekend.

Bill

I have not heard of the show player and the sequence editor not giveing the same results.

Send me one of the sequnce files where the lights (get ahead) and include the audio file. I will take a look. Do you run your show off the same machine that you use do do the sequencing?

Dan and Bill,

I recall something in a discussion awhile back about the MP3's recorded at variable speed or something to that effect. Its a vague recollection but I seem to remember another person who had a similar issue.

Bill, you might try to re-rip your songs. I started using the free ripper that Carson recommended to get the TSO song to sync with his LOR seq of Wizards In Winter, and it matched .. to the beat !!

This may be a complete miss, so make sure you get the seq and song to Dan.

-- Bob M

It is called variable bit rate (VBR) and is an attempt to improve the quality of an MP3 but it will cause inconsistant timing if you try to sync to it.
Should always use a fixed bit rate for MP3s when using LOR I have been told.

terrypowerz wrote:

It is called variable bit rate (VBR) and is an attempt to improve the quality of an MP3 but it will cause inconsistant timing if you try to sync to it.
Should always use a fixed bit rate for MP3s when using LOR I have been told.

VBR MP3s do cause a problem but not exactly as was originally described by flanman. With VBR MP3s, if you use a play range other than "Full Sequence" then there is a problem because Windows Media Player makes a guess at where the song is but that guess is difficult and not exact with VBR files.

But even with VBR files, if the song should be in sequence in the Show if it stays in sync with the Sequence Editor as you play the entire sequence....

So back to the original issue, I have not heard of that before (Show Player not in sync with the Sequence Editor)....

HI guys,
Thanks for the responses. I am not using VBR for the MP3's. I rip all of them at 192 kb and have used the same app and setting for all songs. Thanks for the suggestion. Dan.. tonight to be safe I am going to reset everyting before the show starts. I will monitor the two songs in question and if they are still having issues I will forward the sequence and audio to you.

Flanman

Dan,
I am still having the same issues with one song. Here is a link to the file the the sequence, animation and audio.
http://www.flanman.net/download/CarolOfBells.zip

Here is a link to the video I took last night. http://www.flanman.net/download/carols.mov
Sorry about the grainy quality. It is about 16 megs. You will notice the lights and audio get out or synch at around 2:50 in the time line. I also am having a problem with fades on this one. You will see a few fades in the beginning, but they are only quick flashes on the lights when it plays.

Thanks for the help.

Flanman

Well I played the song and in the sequence editor it got of of sequence at around 2:43 as you mentioned. I adjusted the sequence and emailed it to you. You will need to repoint the sequence to your audio file.

LightORama wrote:

Well I played the song and in the sequence editor it got of of sequence at around 2:43 as you mentioned. I adjusted the sequence and emailed it to you. You will need to repoint the sequence to your audio file.

Curiosity killed me. Can I ask what was wrong and why ... what did it take to fix it?

-- Bob

Bob_Moody wrote:

LightORama wrote:

Curiosity killed me. Can I ask what was wrong and why ... what did it take to fix it?

Well first it would be good to see if it works OK on flanman's machine.

But when I played the sequence from the beginning the timing was rock solid on until just around 2:43 into the song. Then it was noticably off tempo. So I adjusted the time on some events to shift the remainder of the song a 1/2 second or so and it was back in sync.

I did noticed however that if I tried using the Play Selection or Play Visable screen play ranges that this MP3 does not work well on my machine... This may have contributed to the issue here. I have not had the time to dig into the format of the MP3 or tried to re-encode it to see if it makes a difference.

But like I said lets see if it worked for flanman.