Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lilouisianagal

Plugging it all in...

Recommended Posts

We have two controllers this year and the show is ready to go. But we only have one set of outlets in the front exterior of our house. We can fit the Cat 5 cord under the front door, but our 15 amp extension cords won't fit. I know some of y'all have way more than 2 controllers--so where do you plug them in?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Don Gillespie

lilouisianagal wrote:

We have two controllers this year and the show is ready to go. But we only have one set of outlets in the front exterior of our house. We can fit the Cat 5 cord under the front door, but our 15 amp extension cords won't fit. I know some of y'all have way more than 2 controllers--so where do you plug them in?

Thanks!

I had my electrician over in the summer and added another 10 receptacles to the exterior of my house, I have plug ins on the south side, the east side, and the north side, do you have a window you can run a couple of extension cords through, also if you are using LEDS you can plug your controller into the same receptacle provided there is two plugs there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added 4 Dual Boxes to the outside of the house...and since I am just using LED's, hooked them up to existing breakers...running 35 Controllers and 12 CCR's no problem

also, if you are running LED's, you can rewire your controllers so there is only one power cord...

see page 12 here:

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/CTB16PC_Man_Web.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don- Just curious- how much did that run you? (approximately)

Jim- What are dual boxes? Rewiring anything scares me! I love your display by the way!

Mark- thanks for the picture. I have a feeling that's what we're working towards.


Mwhite- how on earth do you rig that? With a surge protector? It just makes me nervous knowing it could [theoretically] overload the system. Though I guess it would just trip the breaker?

Thanks yall!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lilouisianagal wrote:

Jim- What are dual boxes? Rewiring anything scares me! I love your display by the way!
My mind went blank (getting old is HELL!!!)

Double gang boxes...two outlets in one outdoor weatherproof enclosure...

though the pic below only shows one outlet installed...


Attached files 289771=16030-a38ffbd0b2d7c496f66895bdc92c59e1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lilouisianagal wrote:

We have two controllers this year and the show is ready to go. But we only have one set of outlets in the front exterior of our house. We can fit the Cat 5 cord under the front door, but our 15 amp extension cords won't fit. I know some of y'all have way more than 2 controllers--so where do you plug them in?

Thanks!


Are you using LEDs?
Do you have a Kill-A-Watt meter?

I tested my controllers with all the lights on at 100% using the Kill-A-Watt. When I added up all four plugs from the two controllers, it only came out to about 6 amps total (for about 14,000 LEDs) so I used a triple tap adapter so I could plug all 4 into the same outlet.

I think they suggest using only 80% if the 15 amps in a circuit. (Experts out there correct me if the 80% - leaving a 20% 'buffer' is not enough.)
80% of 15 amps is 12 amps, so I have a lot of room to grow before I need another circuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Don Gillespie

lilouisianagal wrote:

Don- Just curious- how much did that run you? (approximately)




If I remember right it was a couple hundred dollars, keep in mind I am a general contractor I have been using the same electrician for 10 years so he gave me a fantastic deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LORi P wrote:

I think they suggest using only 80% if the 15 amps in a circuit. (Experts out there correct me if the 80% - leaving a 20% 'buffer' is not enough.)
80% of 15 amps is 12 amps, so I have a lot of room to grow before I need another circuit.


National Electrical Code allows a circuit to be loaded up to 80% of its rating for continuous loads. That would equate to 12 amps on a 15 amp circuit, and 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit.

At 6 amps, you have the circuit 50% loaded (on the 80% threshold) and should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...