Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange channel flashing during sequence

progressivetek

I moved to a new house this year and set up my display much like last year using the same musical sequences. This year I've noticed that certain channels would momentarily come on (glitchy looking) and others would flicker on a slow fade down. This occurs in 4 out of 5 musical sequences. The odd thing is that the glitches occur at exactly the same time on the same channel every time that sequence plays. Ive checked the sequences under close scrutiny for any unintentional commands and have found none. Even rebuilt the fades on the glitchy fades and re-commanded lights off suring the glitchy channel activations.

In other sequences, the channel that has the glitchy fade down works perfectly and the glitchy channel activations don't glitch in other sequences. These glitches are sequence specific. I really don't want to have to re-build the sequences as I have hundreds of hours already into them...

Any Ideas?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• progressivetek

• hankp123

• bob

• thevikester

Interesting...so Incandescents also on there, but i am guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong, its the LED's that are coming on oddly? And not the incandescents?

I ran the verifyer and it came up with nothing. I also triplechecked the channel grid properties to verify seperate circuits. When the glitches occur, they do not appear to be a commanded event because duration is so short and intensity is not consistant. They almost look like a noise spike but occur at the same time and channel each time sequence is played...

Could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of a sequence it happens on and a copy of a sequence it doesn't happen on?

Please explain in the email which sequence is which, and what channel/time I should be looking for the flash in. Thanks.

Ok, sound like a broken record, but I have to ask. But first an observation. Ok, worked at the old house, but not at the new house. What changed? I suspect that part of what changed might be that now you get power from the right side of the house and not the left side anymore. Or the power and the Cat5 cable both come from the same side of the house now, not before. Or something like this has changed. How am I doing?

So, the old question is this. Are you keeping the Cat5 cable run and the power runs (both supply and the ones going to the lights) separated from each other? Are the parallel runs separated by at least 6 or 12 inches? And when you have to cross paths are they at right angles?

Then too, I just might be barking up a tree. One other thing to try. Find the post by Steven and the terminating resistors. This sounds like possible combo of lights in some seq are causing the noise, but not it other seq.

Hmmm. The old house had a Cat 5 port through the wall on the outside of the house away from power source. Now it goes through the basement window bundled with power. I'll try seperating it.(hadn't thought of that...The noise indications should have tipped me off) I also had to extend 24 channels by 25 ft. (new bundle of extension cords) since my harnesses no longer reach the arches. Most of the problems are not in these channels though...

i did the same thing but i won't be able to watch it until monday, It only happens on 2 of my songs, it drives me crazy

Moving the cat 5 cable did nothing... Bobwants to see the sequences in question... I need to study the show to get the times when the glitches occur. Nothing else is physically different from last year. I did have to rebuild all of the sequences this year to change from 2 large 12 segment arches to 4 small 6 segment arches. Maybe something got corrupted in all of them with all the copy/paste/save-as operations I did. I think I'll try playing one of the old sequences to see if issues accur there. That will tell me if it is a software or a hardware problem...

Same thing here, moving wires around did nothing, I also remade these sequences last year, lots of copy and pasting, But i went to the spot on the songs and made sure there were no timings in place, i even went as far as going to the channels that are flashing and made sure they were off by turning that area off,(even when it showed no timings) and it still does it, I'm thinking of pulling out all my beat channels in case it is crossing over some how.