Light-O-Rama Forums

usb485

scruffy212

I have a laptop running windows 7 home premium. i have loaded the drivers from the disk, and it keeps saying installation unsuccessful. i have done the clean sweep and reinstalled the drivers to no avail. with the driver "installed", i plugged in the usb485, and it was seen by the computer, and when i loaded the hu, it saw one of the 2 controllers (slowly), and actually ran it, butr it wouldnt see the other controller. i unhooked the first controller and hooked up the second, and it would see it, but it will only see one at a time. when i check the driver in device mgr, it says the driver, but not the one i need. when i try to install the driver by right clicking on the usb port, it sees the disc and says it is installing it, but it still wont use that driver. anybody?

Hard to understand exactly what you are saying with such a long paragraph. It sounds like you are combining 2 separate issues.

If your USB adapter will connect to the controller through the Hardware utility, then it appears the drivers are installed, and the adapter is working correctly.

The other apparent separate issue it seems the hardware utility will not see both controllers at the same time? but will one at a time?

I would suspect a bad Cat5 cable connecting controller 1 to controller 2

did the cable test, and they're both fine. it just keeps trying to use the windows driver, instead of the cdm driver, and i cant figure out how to get it to recognize the driver on the disk. it says installation unsuccessful, but still sees the adaptor, only with the wrong driver.

What I would do is unplug the adapter, uninstall the drivers in the Device manager, reboot the computer, re-install the drivers from the disk, reboot again, then see if it installs the correct driver when you plug the adapter in after that.

-Gary-

ainsworth wrote:

The driver on the disk doesn't work well with win7. Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and download the 32 bit windows driver.

That's how I got my win7 machine working correctly.

Thank you ! This fixed mine. I used the Setup exe which detects 64 bit. Had been running with fewer networks than I wanted because this new adapter had a different driver. It was never able to find any controllers before now. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno, but to me if it is finding ONLY ONE Controller and not the other, then they take that controller out and plug in the other one and it finds that, well...., I'm thinking they have BOTH controllers set to the SAME ID and that is where the problem in the HWU NOT finding BOTH controllers, but only ONE controller unit lies.

Have you set the ID's on each controller to be different?

If not, the HWU will only show ONE controller if both have the same ID number.

When you do the test on each controller independantly does each one show the same information in the drop down box where it finds them?

If they info is identical, then you haven't set your controllers to use different ID numbers and therein may be what your problem is.

BTW: if these are CTB16PC controllers, make sure you only have one connected and change it's ID, if both having the same ID and you try and change it, you'll still have the same problem as the HWU will change BOTH controllers to the new ID #. It's what I had to do to set all 5 of my CTB16PC controllers to their respective ID #'s from 1 to 5.

• 3 months later...

Guys,

I run Win7 on all my LOR machines. I just got 2 USB485 Iso adapters and the drivers loaded and worked the first time with no problem. Your problem my be a security issue in Win7

Bill