Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX RGB etc ..

trankin79

Ok, so I've been researching DMX for the past few weeks and want to make sure I'm on the right track here before I get any further.

I can use the USB-485B as a DMX dongle? From what I'm reading I use a crossover out, but what's the data+/-, still white/orange orange? How do you connect the cat5 to the LPD6803 dmx controller?

(would it just be easier to use the Enttec USB?)

Really just wanting to test: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/491662850-5m-DC12V-LPD6803-digital-led-flexible-strip-with-DMX-LPD6803-controller-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-wholesalers.html

Any help/feedback here would be much appreciated.

you can do it with either adapter. The LOR or the Enttec. I have done it with both.
For starters I would say use the LOR adapter if you have one. (you'll set the DMX Universe type to Raw DMX in the network setup)
You'll have to make the adapter from the RJ-45 to the 3 pin XLR for the 6803 DMX controller you linked to.
I've done it, but don't remember what the pinout was. Pretty sure data +/- was pins 4 and 5 on the LOR adapter.

I'll see if i can find the adapter i made to check the pinout.

That would be great if you could find the pin out or is there an easy way to find it out? Thanks for the help here! Just getting going here and hoping I was on the right track.

Here's a quick picture and pinout

Basically
RJ45 pin 4 -> XLR Pin 3
RJ45 pin 5 - > XLR Pin 2

i've seen people mention connect pin 6 on RJ45 for ground to pin 1 on XLR

Attached files 287121=15894-LORtoDMX.jpg

just remember to configure the Network Preferences to treat the LOR Dongle that you are using as Universe 1 for DMX, with a Raw DMX setting.

Then when you add the channels, add them as a DMX device with however many channels you plan to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything came in today! Thank you for the help, working awesome! Looks/Feels/Programs just like a CCR and half the cost! I see many additions for next year! Thank you again. :]

Just a quick note on Ray's stuff - I have ordered sveral decoders, pixel strings and dmx pieces from him over the past 6 months.

The instructions are worthless. The product is pretty good.

After requesting a pin out because I never had any documentation to know what color wires were clock / data / ground , Etc. I got a black and white paper - since you couldnt tell the colors, it was useless. when I contacted him, he sent me a pdf of the same document, but this time in color. The document was wrong.

When I complained that some of the strings in one of my orders didnt work, he insisted I must have them hooked up wrong, then he offered to send me replacments - but only if I paid the shipping costs.. Then he got really rude and told me never to contact him again. (but he did give me a refund)

I have since ordered other items, and they have worked.
I guess I'm just saying buyer beware - if you dont have the time or patience, best uy from someone state side, (like usledsupply) If you do go overseas - know enough about what you are buying to workout any issues without directions or assistance from the seller.

Feel free to contact me if you have anny isues with the stuff you bought - I have the same black box with slightly different light string. I can help you with the color codes if needed.

Thanks Giz. Didn't even get directions! You must have gotten lucky. Took a few tries, but I did get the pinout figured out. Have you tried the 2801 stuff? Are the dimming curves that much better? I've compared my CCR with the 6803 and really don't see a huge difference in the drop off. Not that I dim that much to begin with.

trankin79 wrote:

I've compared my CCR with the 6803 and really don't see a huge difference in the drop off. Not that I dim that much to begin with.

The CCRs are 6803.

Can you purchase this ribbon without the controller and just use a standard DMX controller like the USB485B LOR adapter or and Enttec?

jeffl wrote:

Can you purchase this ribbon without the controller and just use a standard DMX controller like the USB485B LOR adapter or and Enttec?

If you are referring to the 6803 stuff, then no, the controller will have to convert to the protocol that the 6803 pixels can understand

Is all that you need for this to work and be programmed with LOR these items.

1.Light strip + controller that comes with it
2.USB-485B
3. LOR computer + software

Also is each pixel controllable like CCR? Sorry I dont know much about DMX lighting but I am trying to learn.

Traankin79, now that you have had a little time to play with these I have a couple of questions.
1: Does the controller that comes with these strips revert back to a preprogrammed factory sequence once you stop sending a signal to it from LOR? I've seen some dmx controllers recently that once signal is killed from the sequencing software they proceed to fade and change colors on there own until all power is killed or the sequencing softwares show starts again. If so what are you doing to stop them from running all night, short of unplugging them that is.

2: Is there no way to change the order or color settings in LOR sequence editor for an rgb channel to match the 1.1 blue 1.2 green 1.3 red output of these strips?

3: and lastly have you tried using the superstar software yet with these? Seems if it is the same chip as what's in the CCR's it would be possible and maybe take advantage of the auto sequence feature.

1. No, as long as the dip switch 10 is off, they are full DMX. Once the sequence stops, the strip stops. I've left it plugged in over night as well and it never came back on.

2. Not that I've figured out. I just converted each 3 channels in LOR to RGB channels with the correct channel number.

3. Yes, it seems to work just fine. But, I sequence in SS, export and copy the timing/sequence into LOR.

trankin79 wrote:

Ok, so I've been researching DMX for the past few weeks and want to make sure I'm on the right track here before I get any further.

I can use the USB-485B as a DMX dongle? From what I'm reading I use a crossover out, but what's the data+/-, still white/orange orange? How do you connect the cat5 to the LPD6803 dmx controller?

(would it just be easier to use the Enttec USB?)

Really just wanting to test: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/491662850-5m-DC12V-LPD6803-digital-led-flexible-strip-with-DMX-LPD6803-controller-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-wholesalers.html

Any help/feedback here would be much appreciated.

Ive found RGB LED light strips as a 20 Meter set, for as low as 89 dollars on eBay with free shipping. These are also common anode as is needed for the DMX 512 controllers.
Then also on eBay Ive found the DMX 512 controllers around 30 dollars. Which combined would be a lot less on your wallet.

have you used more than one usb 485 at a time? i tried one for my normal lor on com 3, and one on com 4 for my dmx universe 1. the dmx universe one doesnt work right unless the regular lor one one is unplugged.

I haven't, still only using the 1 usb485.

Also, make sure you order all your strips at the same time so they are the same LOT! What fun that was when I found out strip 2 and 3 reversed red/green. :( Manually going through 300 channels to reverse the dmx addy, your damn right I'm counting this to my channel count next year!!! :shock: