Light-O-Rama Forums

Single pixel is red when instructed white

ericnagel

I've got 2 CCRs made into 4 arches. Everything's great!

I can make them all red, all green, all blue... and most of them white. But when I instruct them to be white, there's a single pixel that's red.

Note that when I tell it to be green, it's green.

When I tell it to be blue, it's blue.

But when I tell it to be white, it's red. Just 1 pixel, not a set of 3.

Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ericnagel wrote:

Nope... doesn't bother me that much, I suppose. I'll take a closer look in January, when I tear everything down.

Did you ever figure this out ?

As magically as it wasn't working, it fixed itself.

I noticed some funky things with the CCRs, and am thinking either:
- I have a macro channel on, and don't know it (so I'll go through my sequences & turn them all off)
- I have to put the CCRs on a different network, as they get excited being on the same network as the 48 other channels

But when I was watching the show towards the end of the season, I didn't notice the red pixel problem.

I'm not smart enough to diagnose your CCR issue, but I don't think the network is the problem. With 2 CCRs and 48 regular channels you shouldn't be anywhere near needing a second network.

George Simmons wrote:

I'm not smart enough to diagnose your CCR issue, but I don't think the network is the problem.  With 2 CCRs and 48 regular channels you shouldn't be anywhere near needing a second network.

Thanks - I'm very happy to hear that, as I'm running a DC-MP3 and didn't want to set-up a computer in my basement.

ericnagel wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
I'm not smart enough to diagnose your CCR issue, but I don't think the network is the problem.  With 2 CCRs and 48 regular channels you shouldn't be anywhere near needing a second network.

Thanks - I'm very happy to hear that, as I'm running a DC-MP3 and didn't want to set-up a computer in my basement.

How do you like the mp3 ? Do you have a timer set or how did you tell it when to 'run' ?

i haven't nailed down an exact cause, but i've seen this symptom in RGB pixels before. sometimes i think it's moisture, sometimes a stressed wiring connection.. but like you said it will resolve itself.. then re-appear at a later date. Every now and then I'll have one that is stuck on permanently.

dave

Here's my thought on the "red" problem. It sounds like a bad (poor conductive) line somewhere in that pixel. When all LEDs are on (white) the higher current over this poor conductive path causes the voltage to that pixel to drop below 10 volts. The voltage drop of 3 blue or green LEDs is a little less than 10 volts, so they wouldn't light. On the other hand, the voltage drop of 3 red LEDs is about 6 volts, so they would still light.

After a while, the heat caused by current flowing through that poor conductive path causes it to fix itself. (Maybe it re-melts the solder?)

• The topic was locked